Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-11 02:41:20

R42itus
Website

Sanity check

I'm planning on upgrading my CE3 site to Backlight. I have the luxury of having a Synology DS412+, which runs a web server, php and has a copy of my site, http://rossdickinson.com on it. I've used it a little for testing in the past. What I'm thinking of doing is using the Synology NAS as a development site for Backlight. I would be able to rebuild the current CE3 by copying and pasting the necessary elements into Backlight on the NAS, Once I'm satisfied I could then overwrite the current rossdickinson.com site with the new Backlight version. I fear the GOTCHAS that usually happen. I'll get my WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk in tomorrow, the NAS is running in a degraded state since running disk scrubbing on it. To many errors on disk 2, so I ordered a replacment. Once the NAS rebuilds itself, I'd like to proceed with my plans.

Anybody have any input?

Thank you in advance,
Ross Dickinson

#2 2016-10-12 18:56:46

Ben

Re: Sanity check

Hi Ross, other customers are running Backlight on a Synology NAS.
I'm not familiar with the software setup, and what options you have.  I suggest sticking to an Apache / PHP 5.6 environment or newer. 
If you do encounter issues, please post here.

A potential issue is the domain name.  Backlight supports a single domain name, set via the Site URL.  It doesn't work well to run the same site from two domains, for example as a domain on your local network (e.g. 192.168.0.2/backlight) and on the web.  If you do want to access the site both locally and on the Internet, then it's best to add an entry in your hosts file so that you're accessing the local site with the Internet domain on your PC for example with an entry like this:

192.168.0.2 mysite.com  // where mysite.com is your domain on the Internet.

I hope that helps.

#3 2016-10-13 02:47:39

R42itus
Website

Ben,

Thank you for your response, which leads me to ask another question. When I copy the files to my server it includes index.php which is in the root directory of my current CE3 site. Will my current website still be available to the public while I'm building /backlight?

Thanks,
Ross

#4 2016-10-13 03:22:36

Daniel Leu
Website

R42itus wrote:

Ben,

Thank you for your response, which leads me to ask another question. When I copy the files to my server it includes index.php which is in the root directory of my current CE3 site. Will my current website still be available to the public while I'm building /backlight?

Thanks,
Ross

Ross, you can have your temporary site in subdirectory such as /test or a subdomain such as test.your-site.com. Using a subdirectory, the backlight files then would reside in /test/backlight.

This way, your current site will continue working as is and backlight will not interfere with it. Once you are ready for deployment, you can copy the content from our /test directory to /, visit the backlight configuration settings to update the site root, and are ready to go.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2016-10-13 07:11:38

R42itus
Website

Ok I think I understand now. I'll create a subdirectory in my htdocs folder called test. Then move the appropriate directories and files to /test. I will probably wait a week before I start, I lost my wife two months ago and am taking half her cremains to her home state of Ohio for a memorial and burial there. Photography and web stuff have been a long time hobby for me and will be comforting. Thank you Ben and Dan for this initial guidance. You'll be seeing my posts increasing and I get started on the "backlight adventure"!

Best Regards,
Ross

#6 2016-10-13 09:14:59

Daniel Leu
Website

R42itus wrote:

Ok I think I understand now. I'll create a subdirectory in my htdocs folder called test. Then move the appropriate directories and files to /test.

Yes, that's correct.

R42itus wrote:

I will probably wait a week before I start, I lost my wife two months ago and am taking half her cremains to her home state of Ohio for a memorial and burial there. Photography and web stuff have been a long time hobby for me and will be comforting. Thank you Ben and Dan for this initial guidance. You'll be seeing my posts increasing and I get started on the "backlight adventure"!

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#7 2016-10-13 09:26:25

R42itus
Website

Thank you Daniel. I look forward to the rebuild of my site, with all the distractions and sastifactions.

Board footer