Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-22 11:37:24

bob chadwick

Some Images in an Album Won't Publish

I have created an album with 71 images in it.  No matter what I do the same 6, which happen to be the last six time wise, won't publish.  I have deleted and recreated the album, changed the names of the pictures, tried uploading the pictures first by themselves, restarted LR, restarted the Mac, etc but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas.  The pictures have the same names as the images in this gallery except they are numbered from 66 - 71.

http://norcrosspics.com/galleries/archi … n-view-jv/

Last edited by bob chadwick (2016-08-22 12:18:34)

#2 2016-08-22 12:49:38

rod barbee
Website

Re: Some Images in an Album Won't Publish

are you renaming in Publisher using sequential numbering?
Doing that usually results in a different problem but I thought I'd ask.

If you are using sequential renaming in Publisher, you'll need to come up with something else as Lightroom's sequential renaming in Publisher is buggy.

If that's not it, have you tried exporting the images from the Library module (check the "add to catalog" option) and using those newly exported images in place of the originals? (in case the problem is with the original images)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-08-22 20:13:20

bob chadwick

I'm renaming in Lightroom using sequential numbering on the Library page using the Metadata screen.  I don't know how to do it in Publisher. 

I exported as JPGs, added them to the catalogue and then tried to publish the JPGs.  Publisher wouldn't publish those images either.

#4 2016-08-22 21:33:10

rod barbee
Website

could just be the images then? Have you tried publishing them in their own album? Have you tried publishing them using CE4 tools, like an exported and uploaded gallery?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-08-22 22:12:58

Ben

Who are you hosting with?  There are known issues with some hosts, in particular GoDaddy.

#6 2016-08-22 23:04:40

bob chadwick

I do have GoDaddy and unfortunately just renewed.  I will try to publish them in their own Album tonight.  I had CE3 but no longer have it on my computer so I can't try that.  Any idea what could be wrong with the images?  My first thought is always an illegal name bout 65 images with the same naming structure worked.  And they didn't publish when converted to JPGs either.  Wouldn't this have corrected any image problems during the export process?

#7 2016-08-22 23:27:28

rod barbee
Website

If you need to switch from GoDaddy, my experience in doing that when I switched to Bluehost was that they refunded any unused hosting time. So it was painless.

No idea what might be going on with the images. If you want, I can try publishing a few of them from my end, if you're comfortable with that. Feel free to email a few images to me and I'll give it a try.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-08-22 23:51:30

bob chadwick

Thanks Rod.  I'll check it out with GoDaddy.  Are you recommending Bluehost for compatibility with your product?

I'll send you a couple this evening.  Do you want the NEF or JPG images or one of each?

#9 2016-08-23 00:12:14

rod barbee
Website

Matt and Ben recommend Bluehost (Backlight is their product, I'm just a user with way too much time on my hands smile )

Since you're having trouble with jpgs as well as nef, just send jpgs.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2016-08-23 10:07:09

Ben

Hi Bob, we have made a minor change to the Publisher plugin that *might* solve the problem with GoDaddy.  Are you interested in trying it out?  If so, I can email you the updated plugin tonight.

The change is to add a Referer (sic) field, so that GoDaddy can see where the request came from.  This is set as your API URL.
While this field doesn't make a lot of sense for a client application to provide, the lack of it may be causing GoDaddy to think that the Publisher traffic is coming from a bot.  Anyway, it's worth a try to see whether this solves the problem for you.

#11 2016-08-23 20:00:40

bob chadwick

Please Ben.

I sent you two 5x7 images Rod.

#12 2016-08-23 20:23:17

Ben

Hi Bob, I've emailed it through to you.  Please give it a go and let us know if it fixes the problem.

#13 2016-08-23 22:27:00

rod barbee
Website

Hi Bob,

the image you sent published with no problem
http://backlight-rb-test.barbeephoto.co … wick-test/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2016-08-23 23:12:08

bob chadwick

Of course it did Rod.  smile.  I'll update my plugin with what Ben sent me this evening and give it a try.  Thanks for everyone's help.

#15 2016-08-24 10:33:43

bob chadwick

I installed the LR component only of the plugin and it still won't publish those 6 photos.  I created a new album called test in the Baseball album set and changed nothing from standard and these 6 images won't upload.  I did the same thing under the Gallery album set.  Still can't upload those 6 images.

I'm still timing out with the new version Ben.

Last edited by bob chadwick (2016-08-24 10:52:24)

#16 2016-08-25 22:29:44

bob chadwick

I had one more album that won't publish the images (this one only posted two of almost 60 images).  Looks like it is time to change hosting companies.  What is entailed from Publisher's perspective?  Is it a simple matter of copying the existing structure from GoDaddy to Bluehost, will I need to republish the albums/album sets, etc.

#17 2016-08-25 23:09:50

rod barbee
Website

when I switched from GoDaddy to Bluehost a few years ago, everything was moved over intact. (I needed to make some changes to paths for phplugins but that doesn't apply to Backlight).

But before you make the move, it's a good idea to download your site to your local computer as a backup.

I've moved Backlight sites from one sub-domain to another within my Bluehost hosting account, but not from one provider to another. Publisher relies on the API url and since that won't be changing I should think everything will still work. But you might want to wait for confirmation from Ben.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2016-08-26 06:47:49

Ben

There should be no issues in transferring all of your Backlight files and albums from GoDaddy to Backlight. 

Longer answer:

The biggest potential issue with transferring hosts in general is related to file permissions.  Some hosts will save Backlight-managed files, such as albums and data, as the 'web' or 'apache' user.  When you copy over from another host (or even from one place on your host to another, via your PC), these copies become owned by the 'ftp' user.  Backlight then can't modify them as needed to continue publishing and making other setup changes.
This depends on the destination host.  This is not an issue on Bluehost as Bluehost saves Backlight files using the same user as your 'ftp' login.

#19 2016-08-26 10:49:10

bob chadwick

I'll keep that in the back of my mind and I'm sure I'll have issues and need some help if I have to move.

I'm going to try this one more time with GoDaddy this weekend.  They tried to point the finger at Comcast as a routing issue with some slow legs.  That doesn't seem to make sense when the only problem I am having is with my page on GoDaddy.  When it times out publishing, usually for about a minute, I am not able to access the NorcrossPics web page they host but can access any other web page.

#20 2016-08-26 12:37:58

Ben

We have been encountering this problem with GoDaddy since even before writing Publisher. GoDaddy detects excessive traffic and blocks access for 60 seconds. Over the years some users have had varying success by requesting that GoDaddy upgrade their cPanel. A few on VMs have had success by having GoDaddy tweak or disable the mod_security rule that is triggering the block. We've changed our code to work around other over-zealous mod_security rules on other hosts, but I'm not aware of what rule GoDaddy has in place that Publisher is tripping up.

I doubt that it's anything other than GoDaddy. At the end of the day, you are creating legitimate traffic, via the Publisher, and GoDaddy is blocking that traffic. I'd be glad to find a universal approach to dealing with this, but it seems that often the only solution is to change hosts.

#21 2016-08-26 23:06:55

bob chadwick

Thanks for the overview Ben.  I had done a search for GoDaddy in these forums and had found similar information.  What you describe is exactly the problem I am having.

#22 2016-09-26 23:00:32

bob chadwick

An update in case anyone is interested.  I spent some time with Godaddy on Saturday.  We found that my PHP version was way outdated and they updated that.  The also extended the length of time that it would allow updates.  When I left home this morning I was uploading about 10 images that I could not upload previously but I'm still getting the timeout issue and in fact it seems worse. 

I am not on the cPanel version of their web hosting and my next step will be to get my site migrated over.

#23 2016-09-27 00:41:50

admint
Website

bob chadwick wrote:

An update in case anyone is interested.  I spent some time with Godaddy on Saturday.  We found that my PHP version was way outdated and they updated that.  The also extended the length of time that it would allow updates.  When I left home this morning I was uploading about 10 images that I could not upload previously but I'm still getting the timeout issue and in fact it seems worse. 

I am not on the cPanel version of their web hosting and my next step will be to get my site migrated over.

This is a general statement and not an attack on any one particular person or persons, but this is a good example for figuring out what you need when building a website, and what a hosting site is offering for said services. Sometimes cheap (cost wise) is for a reason.  Most places entice you with their lowest cost services but will leave out the finer details of what's not included. Then suddenly you find the services you paid for are severely limiting.

If you're building a site with lots of bells & whistles you probably shouldn't buy "basic" from a hosting service. On the other hand if you do have basic, seriously consider moving up a rung... or two.

My two cents.

#24 2016-09-27 13:12:41

Matthew
Administrator
Website

admint wrote:

This is a general statement and not an attack on any one particular person or persons, but this is a good example for figuring out what you need when building a website, and what a hosting site is offering for said services. Sometimes cheap (cost wise) is for a reason.  Most places entice you with their lowest cost services but will leave out the finer details of what's not included. Then suddenly you find the services you paid for are severely limiting.

If you're building a site with lots of bells & whistles you probably shouldn't buy "basic" from a hosting service. On the other hand if you do have basic, seriously consider moving up a rung... or two.

My two cents.

Actually, the issues above are specific to GoDaddy. We frequently recommend the most basic shared hosting plan from Bluehost, and we almost never have problems with them.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#25 2016-09-27 13:16:20

admint
Website

I wasn't criticizing "Go Daddy" per se, just making a "general" comment; which is why I also never mentioned the host I'm using.

Thanks

Board footer