Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-27 19:38:09

tomowensphoto
Website

Page copy for galleries - more a what if that a support question

It is very interesting looking around the different sites developed in BL. I marvel at how quickly I can make changes happen these days instead of the CEn days where I never went near a static page once it was live.
That said, I have the following user scenario;

As a publisher of galleries to my site I like to make use of both album sets and albums templates to give a consistent look and feel to the presentation. So far so good.
At the top and upper levels of my gallery hierarchy I can see the need for copy area in the template but when I want to add some description to accompany the album for example I have to use the Page Content tab in the LR Publisher to add the copy. As you will all know, this is impossibly small and not particularly responsive in terms of size and or editing, be it spelling or re-arrangement of text. I have lost count of the number of PEBKAC issues I have had where by not looking at the screen I have undone everything previously typed in the small box.

As a feature for future iterations of BL would it be possible for the BL engine to have a child record area not unlike say the menu set nested feature where a copy area could have content made/edited/ etc as with the copy area features in the templates and pages? Something such as 'You have assigned xxxx template. Would you like to assign album copy?' High level and a bit wooly but just as a starting point - you may already be on the case.

I understand that we are dependent upon LRs Publisher feature to publish at present but if you are working up options for a full  departure from the Web module in LR, this would be a big enhancement for the way I work. It may be that other users can tell me a much more effective way of writing this copy.

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#2 2016-06-27 20:45:11

rod barbee
Website

Re: Page copy for galleries - more a what if that a support question

BL is already a full departure from the web module. What you're asking for is a partial divorce from the Lightroom Publish service. Perhaps a "friends with benefits" scenario smile

The most effective way I've found for writing album and album set text is in a plain text editor, then copy/paste into the Publisher Page Content copy area in Lightroom.

I save the text files for easier editing in case I need to change something.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-06-28 02:12:03

tomowensphoto
Website

Thanks Rod.
That is about the only way I can edit lengthy content reliably

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#4 2016-06-30 00:59:46

SunFoxNC

The silver lining is that you can use a Markdown-aware editor for the text to minimise the amount of fumbling about to get the text looking as you wish.  smile

Markdown Pad 2 on Windows comes immediately to mind as the one I tend to use but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Board footer