Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-12 02:50:23

gary_in_austin

updating to Backlight 101_ .htaccess

Hi. After I downloaded the Backlight 101 update, the readme.txt said to replace a bunch of stuff and I found out where those are supposed to go (server vs. on my computer) and I understand all that.

But -where does the .htaccess go on my server? The Backlight 101 update downloaded has a file " ->backlight ->admin ->skeleton ->htaccess" I found in the skeleton folder but does not have a dot before the name "htaccess"

htaccess
vs/
.htaccess

-And also, where is your .htaccess file on my server supposed to go? -To note: I have uploaded "TTG Backlight" to my server on a sub-domain I made on my server -(great suggestion, Rod!!!)- ...while keeping the main CE4 folder alive and untouched, until I plan to migrate and replace it to use only Backlight and let CE4 fall away.

-Thanks Matthew, Rod, Ben, ..and the community. -great feature, Matthew -and Ben. ..so so the community doesn't all have to ask the same questions. ..Backlight is really a refreshing refresh to TTG. ...enjoying it.

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2016-05-12 03:13:57)

#2 2016-05-12 03:10:45

rod barbee
Website

Re: updating to Backlight 101_ .htaccess

If you have Backlight + Pages. the .htaccess file in the downloaded folder goes into the root of your Backlight site.

So if it's in a sub-domain, then put it in the root folder of the sub-domain.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-12 03:20:52

gary_in_austin

Man, Rod -you are awesome!
You replied in less than 5 minutes. And yes, I have Backlight +Pages.
I'm about ready to show what I have.  I already have "masthead" and "navigation" in place ready for things like:
Stage, CRG, slideshows and an bunch of html5-ready videos when TTG incorporates those into Backlight.

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2016-05-12 03:49:15)

#4 2016-05-12 03:34:26

gary_in_austin

Understood, this .htaccess file goes in my sub-domanin.
But the file I found in the downloaded TTG update folder in (->admin -> skeleton -> htaccess)
download is called   htaccess    (and not .htaccess)  Uploading this "htaccess" file, my old     .htaccess    remains on the root folder
of my sub-domain but   htaccess   does not replace it. ...so now; in my sub-domain I have all the needed files, but also now have                           
   .htaccess    (and also have)    htaccess    Note: I have only installed Backlight into this sub-domain, ...for now.

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2016-05-12 04:08:06)

#5 2016-05-12 05:47:02

rod barbee
Website

But the file I found in the downloaded TTG update folder in (->admin -> skeleton -> htaccess)
download is called   htaccess

don't worry about this one, don't upload it to the root. Just leave as is. The only one you need to upload is the .htaccess that's in the upload package:

backlight/
galleries/
index.php
.htaccess

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2016-05-12 06:22:48

gary_in_austin

Thanks for the clarification by typing out that structure like you did. Works fine. I'll be ready to show my site to the TTG community; soon, thanks to your help. Thanks, Rod!
..gary in austin

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2016-05-12 06:24:35)

#7 2016-05-12 06:30:59

Ben

Just for your info, the files under application/skeleton are used internally by the application as the basis is files to be placed under backlight/data and album directories.  htaccess gets copied as .htaccess when needed.

#8 2016-05-12 06:44:53

gary_in_austin

Thanks, Ben. I appreciate your work and specifically your helpful response to this issue.
And thank you, Rod.

Problem solved, and here's a quick tip: Rod, you kept referring to the .htaccess file included in the TTG update 101. Well, I discovered the .htaccess file was hidden from me on my computer and I never saw it until I made hidden files visible on my computer. Hidden files on my computer and on my server is a two-step job but I had hidden files I couldn't see on my computer.

If others are on a Mac and you don't see this .htaccess file directly included in the TTG Backlight 101 update package, open Terminal on your Mac and paste this code:
               defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE;killall Finder

Once you reveal these hidden files on your computer, you should now see inside the Backlight-Pages-101 folder when you downloaded the update and that .htaccess file will be visible:
     .DS_Store
     .htaccess
     /backlight
     /galleries
     index.php
     readme.txt
     TTG-Publisher.lrplugin

That's when I saw the .htaccess file and was able to update the one on my server like you suggested, Rod. This will be helpful to other Mac users, I'm sure.

You can really screw up your Mac if you mess with these hidden files all the time. So, if you want to go back to the default of hiding these hidden files, go back into Terminal and type:
     defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE;killall Finder
and click Enter and you'll go back to hiding those hidden files forever, unless you change it again in Terminal to always show hidden files.

There are applications that can help you do this, like TinkerTool. But I've never used any. You could try using Terminal on your Mac or use TinkerTool or some software like it. I'm no expert, but using Terminal worked for me to show this .htaccess file on my Mac.

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2016-05-12 07:38:27)

#9 2016-05-12 07:44:08

Ben

Thanks for the tip. That's something I would have done long ago, so assumed everybody could see hidden files.
We got around this problem with the album .htaccess file by naming it htaccess mad having Publisher rename it when copying to new albums. We can't do this with the top of the web site, since Backlight won't usually have write permissions there, and we also don't want to overwrite existing .htaccess files that some users may have.

#10 2016-05-12 07:59:10

gary_in_austin

Okay, so your naming the .htaccess file to be htaccess through Publisher solved the problem. I was just trying to follow the release documentation and didn't know that. -That's really cool, you might want to make a note of it so others know. And feel free to edit my post or include any info in your further documentation on future releases. Thanks so much, Ben.
-Done! Awesome!

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2016-05-12 08:02:05)

#11 2016-05-12 08:24:16

rod barbee
Website

the issue with hidden .htaccess files is mentioned in the installation documentation:
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … tion_setup
But I suppose it would be handy to have a reminder in the readme files of updates.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer