Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-10 21:45:20

markh
Website

Top level directories still a bit confusing

In a fresh installation of backlight + pages I have a top level directory of /galleries visible on my webserver, but it does not appear within backlight and is, in fact, an empty directory. In lightroom publisher I create a new instance tp publish to the top level gallery called "galleries". Do I also have to create an album set in that publisher instance called "galleries" or do I just create albums within that publisher instance?
New question: If I want a second top level directory called "gallery2" obviously I need to create a new instance of publisher to publish to that directory. Will that automatically create a top level directory on my webserver or does that require an album set as well, or do I just physically add a directory on the server called Gallery2.
Thought I had this figured out once but I've been gleefully trying all sorts of things on my testing server and now I've created a confusing mess so I'm starting over with a fresh installation and want to make sure I'm clear on this.

#2 2016-05-10 21:54:24

rod barbee
Website

Re: Top level directories still a bit confusing

In a fresh installation of backlight + pages I have a top level directory of /galleries visible on my webserver, but it does not appear within backlight and is, in fact, an empty directory.

Have you published an album to it yet? You need to do that before the Galleries page will be created.

If I want a second top level directory called "gallery2" obviously I need to create a new instance of publisher to publish to that directory. Will that automatically create a top level directory on my webserver or does that require an album set as well, or do I just physically add a directory on the server called Gallery2.

Physically create the directory first. Set the new Publisher instance to target that directory. Authenticate just to be sure it's working. Then you can publish to it. You can assign an Album Set template to the new top level gallery page from Backlight > Publisher > top-level Galleries

The new top-level gallery may be created on its own. Or you may need to create it. See Matt's tip here: http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=6366

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-05-10 22:56:46

markh
Website

Thanks Rod, think I've got that. So I really don't need an album set in a top level directory if I don't want one?

#4 2016-05-10 23:26:59

rod barbee
Website

markh wrote:

Thanks Rod, think I've got that. So I really don't need an album set in a top level directory if I don't want one?

nope. Only if you want to manage everything under a single Publisher instance. If so, you can create an album set in the galleries/ folder and hide it from the Galleries Page. Then add the album set as a menu item.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-05-10 23:49:41

markh
Website

That helps.  I'm going to take your other suggestion as well. The one about taking backlight semi-live in a subdomain on my webserver before going all-live with it.
Much appreciated.

Board footer