Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-11 18:54:16

DavidGordon

Can I do this...?

I'm looking at TTG and wondering if I can...

All of the demo sites I've looked at show individual images in some kind of pop-up or overlaid screen. I'd like my users to click a thumbnail and be taken directly to what TTG describes as the permalink page. I kinda sorta think from looking through the docs this may be possible. Is it? OTOH you'd have thought I'd have seen someone do this if it was.

I see you can add the Title and Caption to show below an image in the permalink page. I also think I could make the Title read the IPTC Headline. But can I add other IPTC and have it show up? Say I wanted to have:

Headline
IPTC Date
Caption
IPTC City, IPTC State, IPTC Country
Keywords

Could I find some way of doing this?

Lastly, am I limited in design choice by what Lightroom can produce? As I understand TTG creates a template which I can modify. I don't think I can bring an existing WordPress design in and use that, or can I?

Thanks!

Last edited by DavidGordon (2015-12-11 18:54:35)

#2 2015-12-11 23:16:29

rod barbee
Website

Re: Can I do this...?

Hi David,

All of the demo sites I've looked at show individual images in some kind of pop-up or overlaid screen. I'd like my users to click a thumbnail and be taken directly to what TTG describes as the permalink page. I kinda sorta think from looking through the docs this may be possible.

Choose the HTML: Single Image option for large image presentation

I see you can add the Title and Caption to show below an image in the permalink page. I also think I could make the Title read the IPTC Headline. But can I add other IPTC and have it show up? Say I wanted to have:

Headline
IPTC Date
Caption
IPTC City, IPTC State, IPTC Country
Keywords

Could I find some way of doing this?

Yes. You would just need to edit the the Title and Caption configurations in the Image Info control pane in Lightroom. (Or, if also using Publisher, the metadata tokens in the Output Settings control pane)
The editor has options to choose from, much like the Library filter does.

I've set up a gallery on my test site using the HTML: Single Image presentation for you to see.
http://ce4.barbeephoto.com/galleries/html-single-test/
I've not added any metadata to the thumbnails other than file name. But clicking on the large images you can see what can be done with metadata presentation.
I've added html <br> tags to separate the lines. You can also wrap items in <strong> (I've wrapped the word 'caption') or <em> tags (I've wrapped the date metadata) if you wish.

I've set up the location to show city, state, country. But since not all my images contain all that data, it looks a little weird.

Lastly, am I limited in design choice by what Lightroom can produce? As I understand TTG creates a template which I can modify.

The plug-ins have a ton of options for design. And beyond that, if you're clever with css, html, and php, you can do a lot more using the phplugins feature, which allows you to hook your own content into the page pretty much wherever you want.

I don't think I can bring an existing WordPress design in and use that, or can I?

If you're thinking of importing a WordPress design, then no. But you can probably come very close to mimicking it.
TTG also has its own WordPress theme generator: Theme for Wordpress. Using that, you can create a site that is seamless between WordPress pages and TTG galleries.

Have you also seen the User Showcase? Lots of great ideas there.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-12-12 00:20:21

DavidGordon

Hi Rob and many thanks for that info and test gallery.

I think you've shown I can do what I'd like with TTG. But, naturally, I have more questions!

I'm going to guess the metadata used to build the caption and keyword text on each photo page came directly from Lightroom (in a way I'm still unsure about but no matter). I had a quick peek at the metadata in one of your pictures "barbee_11924" from the page http://ce4.barbeephoto.com/galleries/ht … ingle.html and found it doesn't have any embedded info. Maybe you don't embed the caption etc data into your JPEGs, or maybe it gets stripped out somewhere along the line. I'd want to be sure anyone who downloaded any of my pictures also received the caption, contact and copyright metadata I always include. Can I do that? Obviously if I had the TTG CE4 Cart and sold digital licences my clients would need the caption too!

I read you can have password protected galleries. But can I make people register and login before they can visit and/or be allowed to download certain galleries? So I'd have public galleries and others where only certain 'invited' people can browse. Ideally I'd like to know who logged in and when rather than have to give out the same password to a number of people. Oh, and can you create 'hidden' galleries which don't show up in your gallery view or list but can be accessed directly via its URL?

I'm sure I'll have even more questions later!

Many thanks again.

Last edited by DavidGordon (2015-12-12 00:21:22)

#4 2015-12-12 01:07:33

rod barbee
Website

I'm going to guess the metadata used to build the caption and keyword text on each photo page came directly from Lightroom (in a way I'm still unsure about but no matter).

yes. the metadata is pulled from the catalog. In the export process you can choose how much metadata is embedded in the images files.
The way you set up which metadata is included is much like how you can create metadata presets.

There's no stripping of metadata in my images. The file you mention is a scan of a slide and I've just not added the metadata. I'm sometimes not as consistent as I should be smile

The way the metadata appears on separate lines in that gallery is possible with exported and uploaded galleries: you can include html in the construction of the image metadata.
However, if using Publisher, trying to include html with the tokens necessary for use with Publisher seems to break the template (All that might not make sense right now) but you can still list all that metadata in the caption. It just won't be on separate lines. See this for example: http://ce4.barbeephoto.com/galleries/hi … g-caption/

I read you can have password protected galleries. But can I make people register and login before they can visit and/or be allowed to download certain galleries?

you can create clients with separate credentials using CE4 Client Response Gallery (CRG). But CRG is not compatible with the Cart system, though clients can download images from a CRG.

So I'd have public galleries and others where only certain 'invited' people can browse. Ideally I'd like to know who logged in and when rather than have to give out the same password to a number of people.

Again, with CRG. But no Cart.
You can create indexes that are password protected. These indexes can contain any number of galleries or other indexes. But the credentials can't be personalized: everyone would use the same login.

Oh, and can you create 'hidden' galleries which don't show up in your gallery view or list but can be accessed directly via its URL?

Yes.
If using Publisher there is an option to hide the albums from the index. If not using Publisher, all you would have to do is manually delete the autoindex.xml file.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-12-12 01:09:29

rod barbee
Website

And as far as customization, I've got a site dedicated to the TTG plug-ins and what you can do with them:
http://ttg-tips.com/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer