Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-23 06:07:20

Aisling

Setting up for digital downloads

Hi, I'm in the process of trying to set up a new website using CE4 web publishing bundle and Cart (on BlueHost as recommended) and I've got stuck trying to set up the Publisher part for digital downloads.  I need to be able to sell low res images (suitable for Facebook) and also high res images.  I think I understand the pricing scheme part but am stuck with the publisher part!  I understand that Publisher will only create one set and I'll have to upoad the other manually.  I cover equestrian events so generally sell more low res than high res images.  Can I set up Publisher that it automatically creates and publishes the low res images to my site and then manually upload the high res as they are purchased?  I am asking because my broadband is very slow and I'm concerned about how long the upload will take as I need to get them up asap after an event.  I also don't know much about how storing large volumes of high res images on the server may affect it!  On average I would upload about 800 images after a one-day event.
After reading the documentation and links about this I'm also a bit confused about setting up the folders on the server for these images.  What is the difference between 'photos-for-upload' and 'photos-for-purchase'?  If using Publisher does that automatically create one folder and I create the other (for the manual uploads) or do I need to create two folders to begin? 
Regards,
Aisling.

#2 2015-10-23 06:21:20

Ben

Re: Setting up for digital downloads

Hi Aisling, your best option would be to let Publisher create low-res images for automatic download from photos-for-purchase.  You'd then create a second digital purchase product, with your own designated directory.  For example 'High Res Digital Download' at high-res-photos.  Make sure that the cart setting Enable Offline Digital Purchases is set to 'yes'. 
After doing so, customers who purchase low-res photos will be able to download them immediately via the renditions created by Publisher.  Customers who purchase high-res will only be able to download them after you've gone in through the admin interface and uploaded the renditions manually (through the admin interface and not via FTP).

Did you mean 'photos-for-download' rather than 'photos-for-upload'?  This is a copy of the photo that you can choose to make available for free download, so a seperate function from digital purchases.

#3 2015-10-23 06:36:23

Aisling

Hi Ben,  Thanks a mill for such a quick reply!  That is starting to make more sense now so I'll have another go and see how I get on and if I can get it working!  Do I need to create the photos-for-purchase folder or should Publisher do that itself?
Will I run into problems in the future if I have images with the same image number as created by the camera (I take so many photos the numbers will repeat but I normally can identify them manually by date and then image number)? - if so do you know if there is a way I can avoid this?
Thanks again, Aisling.

Last edited by Aisling (2015-10-23 06:36:32)

#4 2015-10-23 07:14:30

rod barbee
Website

see if this helps: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … -ttg-cart/

I posted it in the CE3 days but it should still apply to CE4

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2015-10-23 07:30:30

Aisling

Thanks Rod, I had read that and it helped a lot I just confused with the folders part but I'll go through it again now that I understand a bit more and try again!

#6 2015-10-23 09:08:59

Ben

You shouldn't run into problems with duplicate names across different galleries.  The Publisher-managed digital purchases use the full path and file name when providing purchases for download*.  Manual uploads will match the uploaded file with the purchase.

(* when a digital purchase is made for an already-uploaded file, Publisher will make a copy of that file and save it with a filename that incorporates the full path and image name in the directory ttg-be/data/digital_purchases.  This is the actual file retrieved when a user clicks 'download'.  These files will exist even if you remove or rename the original gallery the purchase was made in.)

#7 2015-10-24 07:16:17

Aisling

Thanks a mill!!  I think I have it working now - I still don't really understand where the photos are but I think its working!!

Board footer