Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-16 04:32:08

hiphotog

404 Error on iPhone gallery

I'm using the 2014 HTML gallery to create web galleries. They display as expected on computer and iPad. On the iPhone, I'm getting a 404 Error. Do I have setting wrong? Here's one of the galleries: http://www.eyeoftheislands.com/Chrysali … index.html

Thank you for any assistance!

#2 2015-09-16 08:50:15

rod barbee
Website

Re: 404 Error on iPhone gallery

it appears that the iPhone is perhaps looking for a mobile.html file and is not finding one. Not sure what you can do about this. You could try making a copy of the index.html file and naming it mobile.html and see what happens.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-09-16 12:29:15

hiphotog

Thanks. That didn't work. I bought the software because I thought it would work on the iPhone. Can you suggest another way? Would appreciate any suggestions as I would love my clients to be able to view a gallery on the iPhone. Wordpress scares me.

Last edited by hiphotog (2015-09-16 12:44:14)

#4 2015-09-16 15:15:10

Matthew
Administrator
Website

hiphotog wrote:

... I bought the software because I thought it would work on the iPhone.

No, you didn't buy anything. You downloaded it; it's free.

That out of the way, the gallery works just fine on mobile. There's nothing in the code that goes looking for a mobile page or attempts to redirect. It looks more like your host, or something else you've installed on your server is trying to be clever, but failing at it. There's a lot of nasty redirect garbage happening at your site, relating to www2.dragndropbuilder.com; I suspect that's the root of your problem.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2015-09-17 01:31:53

hiphotog

I'm sorry. I purchased the web publishing bundle and have only been using this gallery template. I did make a purchase. That said, is there something the bundle includes that will solve this issue.
I'm using Weebly to build the home page and links to this and other galleries. Here's the home page: heathernathan.weebly.com I would really appreciate your help in finding a solution and hoping that what I purchased is that. I'm looking for a way to create client websites with multiple galleries. I may have purchased a product that's over my head, but I hope not.
Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

#6 2015-09-17 02:07:39

rod barbee
Website

CE4 Gallery works great on the iPhone. Provided your hosting conforms to the requirements that are stated on all product pages.

System & Hosting Requirements

System
Mac or Windows PC, running Lightroom 3 or newer.

Hosting
Linux OS
Apache server
PHP 5.2.6 or newer, with SQLite and PDO modules enabled

CE4 plugins are not standalone software, and require Lightroom to run. Content should be published to the Web, requiring a domain name and standard web hosting. Hosted website services such as those provided by LiveBooks, Squarespace, etc. do not qualify as standard web hosting and are incompatible with output from TTG plugins. For quality, affordable, TTG certified hosting, we fervently recommend Bluehost.

But TTG is designed for traditional web hosting, where you control everything. Your Weebly site may not be fully compatible , as Matthew pointed out.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-09-17 02:27:44

hiphotog

Thanks for your reply, Rod.
I'm only using Weebly as a home page then linking to galleries that I upload to my server. I'm using BlueHost. So I don't understand what's going wrong. I'm using Yosemite on a Mac and Lightroom CC to create the gallery and I think I have the plugin installed correctly since the galleries are working on the desktop and iPad. Is there a way to send screen shots of the settings I'm using to see if you or Matthew can see what I might be doing wrong.
Again, help is much appreciated.

#8 2015-09-17 02:36:45

rod barbee
Website

You'll need to address the problem Matt mentioned above:

It looks more like your host, or something else you've installed on your server is trying to be clever, but failing at it. There's a lot of nasty redirect garbage happening at your site, relating to www2.dragndropbuilder.com; I suspect that's the root of your problem.

that problem is probably coming from the Weebly page builder code.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-09-17 03:04:52

hiphotog

I contacted BlueHost and they had me set up subdomain so that it would not access the Weebly code. Now I'm getting an internal Server Error. Here's the new URL: http://client.eyeoftheislands.com/Ceremony/index.html

The tech support guy asked me what file in the gallery folder is making the gallery responsive (he didn't use that language), but I think that is what he was asking. Can you help with that info?

Last edited by hiphotog (2015-09-17 03:38:42)

#10 2015-09-17 03:48:07

rod barbee
Website

the css is mainly what's responsible for responsiveness. There is also a mobile.html or mobile.php file (depending on features you're using)

But TTG works fine with Bluehost. As long as you haven't added anything else to interfere with it.

Putting your TTG galleries in a sub-domain is probably a good idea.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2015-09-17 03:58:02

hiphotog

There is no mobile.html or mobile.php in the exported folder for the gallery. Could the size settings in appearance have anything to do with it?

Glad you have way too much time on his hands!

#12 2015-09-17 04:17:43

rod barbee
Website

which gallery are you exporting? I'm referring to a CE4 Gallery, not the 2014 HTML Gallery

Unfortunately, I won't have much time the rest of the day. It's sad. Photographing auroras this week.....

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2015-09-17 04:19:09

hiphotog

Been on tech support with Blue Host and the tech tested the site by renaming the index.html and creating an index.php file. With the index.php file the server is behaving as supposed and not doing any redirects. I didn't change any of the css documents.

#14 2015-09-17 04:41:36

hiphotog

Sorry. Looking at CE4 Gallery now. Auroras sound like  a lovely way to spend your time. Beautiul place you live in.
Thanks for being so patient.

#15 2015-09-17 05:02:49

hiphotog

I created a test gallery in CE4 and still getting an error on the iPhone. Works on the desktop and iPad.
Here's the link: http://client.eyeoftheislands.com/Test/index.html

#16 2015-09-18 15:15:34

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Is there an .htaccess file on your server? If so, something in there might be a problem.

The 2014 HTML Gallery is just that: HTML. There's nothing at all weird about it, or even the least bit squirrelly. If it's not working on your server, then there's something else on the server getting in the way. The problem is not the gallery; it's a redirect script running elsewhere on the server, or it's something the host has set up.

If your Weebly thing creates .htaccess directives, that could very well be the problem. But as I've already said, your first order of business should be to find out where the www2.dragndropbuilder.com stuff is coming from, because that's probably a part of the problem.

Matt

#17 2015-09-20 05:25:09

hiphotog

I understand HTML. It works find on the desktop and iPad. I thought the gallery was supposed to work on the phone as well. It doesn't work on my iPhone or the mobile test site using any of the phone tests. I tried the 2014 gallery and the CE4 gallery. Can you just look at it on the phone, please.

#18 2015-09-20 05:29:49

rod barbee
Website

It doesn't work on the phone on your site. We've already seen that. But have you looked to your .htaccess file as Matt suggested?
or to the www2.dragndropbuilder.com stuff?

All my galleries are made with CE4 Gallery and I'm also on Bluehost. They all work fine on the iPhone.
The problem is not with the gallery.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2015-09-20 10:33:48

hiphotog

I understand that this works for most people. I was unable to get help from Blue Host. I asked him to look at the dragondropbuilder which I believe is a Weebly thing. That is why the tech said had me create a sub-domain and tested it by changing the name of the index.html and creating an index.php. Which loaded fine on his iPhone. I don't understand what he did or why he thought that what he did indicates that nothing funky is happening our their side.
Do you think you could tell me the settings you use and I'll duplicate them and see if there is something I'm doing wrong.
I can set up another server and see if it works, but that seems extreme. I would have to sign up with another hosting company. Is there any other way I can test the web gallery I'm creating?
Sorry that I seem to be frustrating you and Matt. I purchased this software because I saw it on Terry White's blog and he made it look so easy. Believe me, I'm very frustrated and would just love to have this work.

Last edited by hiphotog (2015-09-20 10:39:06)

#20 2015-09-20 10:50:43

rod barbee
Website

Again, have you checked into any .htaccess file that's in the root of your site? This could be causing any redirect. And if it is, there may be an easy fix for it (though it might affect whatever the Weebly site builder is doing)

Until you can answer the question about the .htaccess file, I'm afraid any advice we offer may be useless.

(you can download it from your site using your FTP program and then open it with a plain text editor. Feel free to copy and paste the contents here in the forum)

also, I'm not using any special settings for my galleries. I am using features that will trigger the export of an index.php file rather than an index.html file. If you want to try that, just check the "enable phplugins" box in Site Info. Just checking that box will make the web module export an index.php file.
Be sure to delete the index. html file in the gallery folder on the server.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2015-09-20 11:12:38

hiphotog

Hi. thanks for not giving up on me completely.
It's weird, but I can't download thehtaccess file using Fetch. I can see it, but unable to download. When I use ftp from the cPanel, htaccess does not appear.
I also tested a juicebox gallery and getting the same results. Apparently, it is a problem with Blue Host, but they haven't been able to help me. I don't have the technical knowledge to ask the right questions.
Any guidance you can give me would be much appreciated.

#22 2015-09-20 11:58:50

rod barbee
Website

I can't download thehtaccess file using Fetch. I can see it, but unable to download.

try another FTP program perhaps. Or ask Bluehost if they can see what's inside of it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#23 2015-09-21 16:04:47

Matthew
Administrator
Website

hiphotog wrote:

... the tech said had me create a sub-domain and tested it by changing the name of the index.html and creating an index.php. Which loaded fine on his iPhone ...

Which all just makes it sound like you have something in your .htaccess file that is specifically attempting to redirect from index.html. You need to get at that file, whether by asking the host to get it open, or by finding another FTP client that will allow you to download it. I think it's highly likely that's where your problem is coming from.

If you'd like to PM your FTP information, I can try to log in and see if I can't get at the file.

Matt

#24 2015-09-22 13:12:46

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I had a look, and yeah ... Weebly is all up in your .htaccess file, lots and lots of redirect rules, including for mobile. Thing is, I'm not familiar with Weebly. If I disabled directives, I don't know what that would do to the rest of your site.

So what I'm doing instead -- and this should be an easier fix -- is creating a repository folder for your galleries, a folder appropriately named "galleries". Inside, I'm creating an .htaccess file containing only:

RewriteEngine Off

This should prevent all of Weebly's nonsense from running on anything inside of the "galleries" folder, so you'll want to put your TTG galleries there. You can then access them via URL, e.g. http://eyeoftheislands.com/galleries/folder_name.

Matt

#25 2015-09-23 02:42:52

hiphotog

That worked like a charm. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

If I include the htaccess file you created in any new folders I create, it should work as expected. Ultimately, I would like to find an alternate to Weebly since BlueHost doesn't really support it even though it's offered within their suite of services.

This has made life wonderful and I really appreciate you hanging with me to solve the problem!!
Much aloha!

Board footer