Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-20 03:28:44

charking
Website

Resizing photos depending on screen resolution and orientation

How can I get my photos to resize without being cut off top and bottom when displayed on screens with different resolutions or where the browser window is smaller than full screen? Screen orientation, as with a cell phone, is also an issue here.

Added note on further testing: Some resizing occurs on a PC,  but there is a lower limit.

Last edited by charking (2015-05-20 03:51:49)

#2 2015-05-20 03:53:23

rod barbee
Website

Re: Resizing photos depending on screen resolution and orientation

images should be responsive and fit any screen or device.
Some presentations (like Magnific) may seem like they're cropping images but that's usually due to the control bar on top and caption bar on the bottom. You can disable that behavior in the Magnific settings.

but if you include a link to a gallery we might be able to tell more

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-05-20 04:59:27

charking
Website

www.charking.com

Check the Amor de Dios gallery.

#4 2015-05-20 05:10:48

charking
Website

You're right, Rod, at least on my phone. If I get rid of the top and bottom bars, everything fits regardless of phone orientation. But I would like to keep these bars if I can.

Last edited by charking (2015-05-20 05:34:56)

#5 2015-05-20 05:47:47

rod barbee
Website

you can tap the image to dismiss or restore the bars. So if you start the slideshow with the user interface (the bars) hidden, the user can just tap the image to get the caption and access controls.

another option might be to set image sizes small enough so they don't fill the entire space and get hidden under the bars.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2015-05-20 20:19:31

charking
Website

Following through on your suggestion works to my satisfaction, especially if I completely suppress the background image of the gallery page and make the background white. However, in the rest of my web site I am using a texture as my page background. How can I "remove" the background image of the gallery page and replace it with my textured background? I can do this if I select HTML:  single-image instead of Touch, but I lose the resizing aspect on my site when displaying individual photos and the slide show capability.

Would CE4 Stage be of any use to me in this regard?

Last edited by charking (2015-05-20 20:30:51)

#7 2015-05-20 21:07:18

rod barbee
Website

How can I "remove" the background image of the gallery page and replace it with my textured background?

You can't. Well maybe you can, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to hack the gallery script itself.

Stage wouldn't help as it doesn't have a gallery grid.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2015-05-20 21:28:30

charking
Website

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. I've already started looking at the code. Assuming I take the HTML approach, would Stage enable me to embed slide shows in my site? I'm assuming it can; I'm just looking for confirmation.

#9 2015-05-20 21:50:58

rod barbee
Website

Stage has the Galleria slide show. You can see a demo of options here: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/demos/ce4-stage/

But Stage creates its own pages, so you won't be able to use Stage to embed a slideshow in an existing gallery, if that's what you're thinking of doing.

So instead of a CE4 Gallery with a grid of thumbnails, you could have a Stage page with a Galleria slide show. You can choose to have a thumbnail strip below the slideshow.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2015-05-21 00:26:50

charking
Website

Thanks again, Rod. Some more questions. I am currently redoing my website in CE4 (it was in CE3 previously) with a light textured background, using the custom css code. The Amor de Dios gallery is my testing ground; once it is fixed my other current galleries and future ones will be done the same way. From what you are saying above, the entry point to the gallery in Galleria would be the slide show, not the grid as it is in CE4 Galleries? Would the textured background I am now using still be possible?

#11 2015-05-21 00:31:39

rod barbee
Website

From what you are saying above, the entry point to the gallery in Galleria would be the slide show, not the grid as it is in CE4 Galleries?

correct

Would the textured background I am now using still be possible?

I think it would. I've not tested it yet. You'll probably just need to uncheck the Background-color box in Galleria setup.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2015-05-21 00:38:48

charking
Website

You're too fast for me, Rod. I came back to add another question and you had already responded. My additional question: are nested galleries possible as they are in CE4 Galleries? I've used that feature in the past and will again as I add more galleries to my web site.

And still another question. What about Publisher? Will it work with Galleria? I have Publisher but haven't implemented it yet.

#13 2015-05-21 00:48:26

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Nesting galleries is facilitated by Auto Index, or via the combination of Publisher and Auto Index.

Publisher works with Gallery, Client Response Gallery and Stage (including Galleria).

It's best to start working with Publisher as soon as possible. Existing galleries cannot by "imported" into the publisher; Publisher can only manage galleries that it has published. So if you don't want to make those galleries twice, it's best to make them with Publisher the first time.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#14 2015-05-21 00:59:22

charking
Website

Thanks, Matthew. I'm glad I learned that now. I'm going to add Stage to my toolkit and start using Publisher right away.

Last edited by charking (2015-05-21 01:00:24)

Board footer