Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-27 22:10:06

kishw

Installation and upgrading

I find installing the various components (gallery, publisher etc.) of CE4 quite cumbersome and antiquated by modern standards - is there technical reason why an automated installation/upgrade script/application cannot be written ? surely this would simplify the task of installation and upgrading  ? Very few programs these days rely on users having to manually copy programs to specific folders/directories....

Also is there any need to upgrade the various CE4 components if I already have got a website created and running  - If I install the upgrades do I need to republish my website to ensure it is using the latest version  or would this only be necessary if I redesign elements in my site or use new features available in the upgrades ?

Regards
Kish Woolmore
London, UK
www.kishwphotos.co.uk

#2 2015-02-27 23:12:09

rod barbee
Website

Re: Installation and upgrading

whether you choose to update your site depends on if any of the updated features/bug fixes affect you. It's up to you really. But it's always a good idea to install the latest versions of any of the back end components like ttg-be, Publisher, etc.

However, if you're using the Share Resources with TTG CE4 Pages feature, then you'll always want to be sure you keep Pages updated with the latest build.

If using Publisher, it's a lot easier to update all your albums at once by just updating the template(s) you're using.

as to automated web engine installation, Matt and Ben can address that.

The Publisher Plug-in itself installs just like any other Lightroom plugin.
Installing online components probably can't be automated because people have different set ups on line, ftp access is needed, passwords, security...all that.

Personally, I have a shortcut on my desktop to the Lightroom/Web Galleries/ folder (I use Windows). That way I can quickly open that, delete an old version of an engine and copy the new version in. But I've been doing this so long and am so used to it that it doesn't seem burdensome to me and only takes a few seconds to install a new or updated web engine.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-02-28 15:45:25

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Installation and upgrading

I have no interest in writing an installer for web engines; Adobe should have supported them via the Plugin Manager, but has chosen not to do so. I'm writing plugins, not applications.

As for the online components, the installs are automated, but that still requires you to move the software to your server via FTP to run it.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer