Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-30 14:26:10

jrp

Publisher and post-processing plug-ins

I use post-processing plugins with publishing services to modify images as they exit publisher or export. For example I use the "LR/Mogrify 2" plugin. This works a treat with other publishing services (for example flickr).

BUT the CE4 Publisher service seems to just ignore post-processing plug ins. They can be configured.
See
https://www.dropbox.com/s/12eau54ozm6oe … m.png?dl=0
But the images that are output by publisher have not had the post-processing commands applied.

Assistance appreciated!

#2 2015-01-30 15:06:44

Ben

Re: Publisher and post-processing plug-ins

Unfortunately post-processing filters won't work with Publisher.  The reasons are technical:

Lightroom provides a default rendition loop that outputs one rendition for each photo in a published collection.  Publisher needs to generate multiple renditions per photo (photos, thumbnails, etc.) and so can not use the default rendition loop.  In code we are calling the same rendition functions that the default rendition loop calls, which in theory means that any post-processing filters should be applied for every rendition.  Due to reasons unknown, Lightroom ignores post-processing plugins for renditions generated explicitly in this way. 

This is one of many unexplained limitations of the Lightroom SDK that we have had to contend with.  Very little, if anything, is ever fixed or improved with the SDK, which has remained almost unchanged since Lightroom 3.

We have pondered changing Publisher to generate one rendition per photo, and have other renditions generated dynamically on the server.  This raises a couple of issues: Firstly, converting images on web servers is memory intensive, so the chances are high that this will exceed the maximum memory usage allowed by hosts.  Secondly, this would mean that all renditions on a gallery would have the same watermarking and color modes.

#3 2015-02-10 06:50:53

hjrw

Likewise, I have used Lightroom's native Develop functionality to enhance a photo in an Album.  In lightroom, the photo shows the modification.  I can find no way to replace the modified photo on the server.  I mark it for republish, Publisher acts like it is uploading it, but the image is not updated on the server.

This will cause issues for several Albums that I have uploaded temporarily in unedited form, as I had planned to use Develop and create the final renditions.  One thing that I tried is to rename the photo in question by adding an "x" to the end of the file name on the server (in photo, thumbnail, and mobile_thumbnail folders).  The correctly named photo is not uploaded by Publisher.  The thumbnail is still displayed on the webpage (even after clearing cache), but if I try to see it full size, nothing happens. 

Short of starting over and deleting everything and starting over with a new Album, what is the solution?

EDIT:  I created a new album with 1 photo in it... the edited photo from the one I am having issues with and the correct rendition was uploaded....

Last edited by hjrw (2015-02-10 06:57:13)

#4 2015-02-10 07:01:19

rod barbee
Website

In Publisher set up, make sure that the "Push Metadata without updating existing photo" box is unchecked

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2015-02-10 07:11:50

hjrw

Thank you!  That did it.  I had it set from upgrading CE3 to CE4...   Phew!  Didn't want to reupload Albums since I keep getting 12152 errors from GoDaddy every 20 photos or so.  I increased my data limits and sizes in php.ini to no effect.  I presume they see my uploads as DoS attaacks, since the entire hosting is inactivated for about a minute...

Board footer