Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-30 05:12:56

geoffhlbuzz

CRG - not creating email message

I  have been completely unable to create an email message from the CE4 CRG.

Running iMac system with latest iterations of TTG-BE, Publisher etc including silent updates.

Have tried creating versions of CRG with and without passwords, have tried mail and SMTP email address options all to no avail.

After creating a CRG selection and pressing the send button all indications are that the message has been created - the CRG Admin feedback shows a log of all changes.

Test messages using normal mail are OK.   A test using my live CE3 system works normally.

A few days back I was attempting to do the same work using MAMP - that would not sent the required email either.

I'm stumped...

The test site is  http://andyleanne.geoffhawkins.me.uk   hosted on 1and1.   All other functions are normal.  The CRG test gallery is in the second of the autoindex galleries (Sample Galleries).

Last edited by geoffhlbuzz (2015-01-31 01:24:39)

#2 2015-01-30 06:26:27

Ben

Re: CRG - not creating email message

Hi Geoff, most hosts block attempts to send via smtp, so you may be out of luck with that.
Some hosts don't like to send out from mail(), or do so with a system address that may get picked up as spam, unless the host knows the from address you are sending from.  For example, I host with Bluehost.  Let's say I was using vendor@my-site.com as the sender address.  Bluehost was happy to send emails out as from vendor@my-site.com only after setting up the email address in my Bluehost cPanel.  That doesn't mean I'm using Bluehost for my email, but only that Bluehost has an account for that email.

#3 2015-01-30 06:52:23

geoffhlbuzz

Hi Ben,

This morning I spent some time with 1and1 and set up  an authenticated smtp email address (the same one I have been using for CE3 CRG as a pop email) - this includes a password for authentication - this has been incorporated into my CE4 ttg-be mail setup.

Not really sure where this leaves me.

When the ttg-be email address setup is done using the "mail" option the edit seems to leave all fields blank and then when editing is finished it shows the smtp.gmail.com .

I'm definitely confused ... that's not difficult...  if the above authentication is not the answer what should I be asking 1&1 to provide me with or facilitate?

Last edited by geoffhlbuzz (2015-01-30 15:32:04)

#4 2015-01-31 01:30:08

geoffhlbuzz

Today I tried again with 1&1 - explained the CRG creating text for email and the need for this to be accepted by the 1&1 email I was using.  With their YL tech I created a new email address in the 1&1 control panel with assurances that this would work.
Same result - everything appears normal - messages say that the email will be sent and a response will happen.   Then the black hole.

Has anyone had success using the CE4 CRG with 1and1?

#5 2015-01-31 06:45:31

Ben

Hi Geoff, sorry to hear it's still not working for you.  All I can suggest at this point is that you set CRG to demo mode (which means both vendor and client emails are sent to the client), and try using a variety of email addresses that you're able to check for the client's email.  Then check all of the inboxes and spam folders.  The idea here is to at least try to find one positive case of the emails actually going out, so that you can eliminate sending from 1and1.

Regarding the other smtp-related configuration fields.  If set to 'mail', these are unused and have no bearing on the mail sending process.

#6 2015-02-01 02:43:21

geoffhlbuzz

Hi Ben,

Success at last.

It seems to be working using the method you described - where a dedicated IMAP email address is added using the 1&1 control panel...

Initially I added the dedicated email address into Vendor Email and then completed the SMPT setup manually.  Although no errors showed up it simply did not work.

The next time I added the dedicated email address into Vendor Email and then selected the MAIL setup option - in the edit mode this showed all blank fields and I added the SMTP Password into the relevant box (the only box permitting an input).  On exiting the edit mode all of the SMTP fields showed the appropriate information (I assume picked up directly from the Mac Mail settings).

A test run of the CRG then produced the required report into my email inbox.

Thanks for your assistance and forbearance.

Geoff

I tried again using my original email address for the Vendor Email (with its password) - this failed.

Last edited by geoffhlbuzz (2015-02-01 02:46:24)

#7 2015-02-01 06:19:47

Ben

Hi Geoff,  I'm glad to hear the emails are working for you now.

To help other 1&1 customers, can you help confirm what you did?  I'm assuming:

1. Setup an email address in the 1&1 control panel
2. Set your vendor email to use that address
3. Set the mail send type to 'mail'

Is that correct?

#8 2015-02-01 07:08:22

geoffhlbuzz

Yes that is correct.

#9 2015-08-14 04:23:39

hmr638

I can't locate where I enter my email address in CRG. I am lost.

#10 2015-08-14 04:29:50

rod barbee
Website

all email settings are done in TTG-BE Admin > TTG BE Settings
I believe Vendor Email is the one used for "From"

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#11 2015-08-14 07:50:06

hmr638

I finally got to TTG-BE admin on my own, and I think I got it set up correctly with the steps for 1and1, but i am not succeeding in setting up an IMAP connection with my Apple Mail.

still no luck with receiving emails from clients.

I can't seem to get CRG 3 to work now in Lightroom, either, so I am stuck with clients having to "hand-make" their lists.

Last edited by hmr638 (2015-08-14 07:51:43)

#12 2015-08-14 09:07:27

Ben

Do you receive emails if sending from a normal email client to that address?

#13 2015-08-27 01:57:59

hmr638

With some additional work I have been able to send an email to the 1and1 account, and have have been able to log in there and send an email directly to my main email account.

Board footer