Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-28 08:45:46

chenrysjr

Dev Website

Hi,
I just downloaded CE4.  I am currently running a site using CE3 but want to redesign my site from scratch using CE4.  I want to be able to run the old site while I build and test the new one.   I was thinking of building it then uploading to my host using something like domianname.com\dev\website to test what I do.  I can replace dev with something more cryptic so folks are less likely to stumble upon it.  I am using godaddy for my hosting, I know I know.  The main thing is to be able to access both from the web.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Henry

#2 2014-10-28 09:06:31

rod barbee
Website

Re: Dev Website

Many of us use sub-domains for testing rather than sub-folders. The advantage is that you can set up the Site root as / instead of needing to make it /dev/.
When you're ready to go live you won't need to change that for pages and any indexes, galleries, or Publisher templates you've created.
you can also set up your phplugins wherever you need them on the server and just leave it there and keep the same server path for when you go live.

there have been issues with GoDaddy and subdomains with the autoindex. See this: http://community.theturninggate.net/post/2020/#p2020

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-10-28 21:17:58

chenrysjr

Re: Dev Website

Thank you for the response.  I'll give the sub-domain a try.  I had to do the autoindex change in my CE3 site so I'll make the same changes.

Board footer