Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-24 21:56:42

kishw

Beginner Questions

Using CE4 Gallery, pages and Publisher - gradually getting there but does seem more complex than I expected....
a few questions, hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer or at least point me in the right direction:

1. My galleries page shows thumbnail for each gallery but clicking on any opens a new page of thumbnails showing pictures in the gallery, is it possible to get it to go straight to the gallery slideshow for the selected gallery ?

2. Can I changes the arrow icons to words previous and next  for current gallery slideshow ?

3. When displaying slideshow/large images can I have scrolling thumbnails at bottom or side of screen similar to what is seen in Flickr ? or do I need some other application to do this ?

4. Can I put Flash enabled galleries on the gallery pages or would I need Stage to do this ?

5. I assume any edits I do to the PHP files outside of LR (ie script to disable right click context menu) will need to be repeated if I do  any further/additional edits/export of pages from LR

6. How do I get gallery thumbnails to display without the titles/descriptions ?

7. Is it possible to get the title description to show when cursor is hovered over the thumbnail ?

8. When saving templates I have to create a new one each time is there a way to overwrite the existing one with the changes ? Does the template need to be created before exporting - I expect changes will only be lost if LR is closed before creating/saving new template ?

I look forward to your help and response, TIA
regards
Kishw
London, UK
www.kishwphotos.co.uk

#2 2014-09-25 00:38:38

rod barbee
Website

Re: Beginner Questions

1. My galleries page shows thumbnail for each gallery but clicking on any opens a new page of thumbnails showing pictures in the gallery, is it possible to get it to go straight to the gallery slideshow for the selected gallery ?

if you use Highslide as the presentation there's an option to start slideshow on page load.

2. Can I changes the arrow icons to words previous and next  for current gallery slideshow ?

not from within the plug-in.
The HTML single page presentation already has the words previous and next on the single image pages.

3. When displaying slideshow/large images can I have scrolling thumbnails at bottom or side of screen similar to what is seen in Flickr ? or do I need some other application to do this ?

no.
You could use CE4 Stage for a Galleria slideshow. It can have small thumbs beneath the slideshow.

4. Can I put Flash enabled galleries on the gallery pages or would I need Stage to do this ?

Probably Stage would be best. But you'd also need to use phplugins to embed a flash gallery as TTG galleries don't support it.

5. I assume any edits I do to the PHP files outside of LR (ie script to disable right click context menu) will need to be repeated if I do  any further/additional edits/export of pages from LR

no. Use phplugins. see this, for example: http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … ntext_menu

6. How do I get gallery thumbnails to display without the titles/descriptions ?

Under Site Info, uncheck Metadata 1 and 2

7. Is it possible to get the title description to show when cursor is hovered over the thumbnail ?

no, not from within the plug-in. Perhaps with jQuery via phplugins?

8. When saving templates I have to create a new one each time is there a way to overwrite the existing one with the changes ? Does the template need to be created before exporting - I expect changes will only be lost if LR is closed before creating/saving new template ?

right click on the template name and choose Update with New Settings (or words to that effect)
this is standard with other Lightroom presets like metadata presets or Develop presets as well.

If you don't save changes to a template, they will be lost upon closing Lightroom. You can also save the web gallery you're working on by clicking Create Saved Web Gallery at the top right of the preview area. When you do this, any changes made are automatically saved to that web collection. But be sure to save as a template too.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-09-25 05:03:52

kishw

Thanks for the help, it does sound like for some more advanced features I may need to invest in stage and learn PHP and probably some Java.....

Just a couple more questions

If using publisher I need to have template (created with Gallery) saved/uploaded to my server, it does not use the current template that may be active in LR when entering the publisher collection is this correct ? and these templates can only be uploaded to the server with programs outside of LR ?

If I want to have slight differences between different galleries I will need to upload more than one template to server ?

I cannot find out how to stop the path to current gallery title displaying on the galleries pages ie. Galleries>Birds

I notice that I can set Watermarks within the publish collection settings, publisher Instance settings or within the gallery plugin, which is the best place to insert watermarks ?

I'm still confused about autoindex, once its been used during initial setup and template building there is no need to us it again unless I create new website from scratch - is this correct or am I missing something abouts its function and use ??

regards
Kishw
London, UK
www.kishwphotos.co.uk

#4 2014-09-25 09:17:08

rod barbee
Website

I've just got a few minutes (some quick free time during a workshop) so I probably won't get to all those questions. (some answers are in the docs)

I cannot find out how to stop the path to current gallery title displaying on the galleries pages ie. Galleries>Birds

this is done in the Album Setup. I believe under the Features tab.

If I want to have slight differences between different galleries I will need to upload more than one template to server ?

yes

I notice that I can set Watermarks within the publish collection settings, publisher Instance settings or within the gallery plugin, which is the best place to insert watermarks ?

Watermarks in Publisher controlled albums are always enabled in the Publisher Setup. You can choose to have them included in thumbnails or images for sale/download in the individual albums (going from memory here)

If using publisher I need to have template (created with Gallery) saved/uploaded to my server, it does not use the current template that may be active in LR when entering the publisher collection is this correct ? and these templates can only be uploaded to the server with programs outside of LR ?

gallery templates go in the /ttg-be/templates/gallery/ folder. autoindex templates in the /ttg-be/templates/autoindex/ folder

Publisher uses your choice of templates from those folders. It doesn't matter what you have going on at lightroom at the time.
Use an FTP program to upload. There are plenty of free ones. I like Filezilla for Windows.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer