Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-16 20:21:23

chris.palmer

Feature Request: Hiding from AutoIndex except for Admin user

In the past, for galleries that we want "gently" hidden from view, we would often publish them on hidden URLs rather than assigning passwords. Although we can still do this on now we have migrated to TTG, by hiding them from AutoIndex, it would be really convenient for us if the Admin user could still see them auto-indexed.

How difficult would it be to add a "Hide from Auto-Index (except for Admin)" option when publishing a gallery?

Thanks & regards
Chris

#2 2014-08-16 20:48:16

Ben

Re: Feature Request: Hiding from AutoIndex except for Admin user

Hi Chris, thanks for the suggestion.  It would be quite difficult to do.  The Auto Index code doesn't know anything about Publisher.  It looks for the autoindex.xml files of child albums to determine which to show.  Hiding from Auto Index simply removes these files from albums so that Auto Index can't find them, which is a simple and effective solution.  Your request would require changes in Auto Index to determine which albums to show, including coding in awareness of the Publisher/TTG BE login status.

#3 2014-08-17 03:37:55

chris.palmer

Ah well never mind.

I did have one idea that I tried without success, but not sure why it didn't work. I created an album set (c) containing an album (cc). The AutoIndex template for c hid the entries for the contained cc. I could still go to cc directly with a URL. So far so good. I then created a password-protected album set (m) with a "normal" autoindex template, and within its directory structure created a symlink to c/cc. It was an attempt to fool it into thinking cc also existed under m. Not sure why but it didn't make any difference. I have FollowSymLinks on.

Is there any chance this sort of approach could work, or should I give up? No big deal if it won't work...

Thanks
Chris

#4 2014-08-17 07:46:40

Ben

Auto Index looks for directories within the current directory on the server.  If my understanding is correct, FollowSymLinks will only resolve paths of requests coming from the web.  It won't have any effect on the directories that Auto Index can see.

#5 2014-09-01 03:19:50

chris.palmer

Hi Ben

Was just wondering whether another approach might be feasible. At the moment, for a non-protected album within a protected album set, when you access the url for the album it prompts to login to the album set. In some cases that is exactly what is required. But in others it might not be.

I think I could achieve what I wanted if direct access to the album did not attempt to login to the enclosing album set. In that way people could go straight to the album which would be effectively hidden. But someone with the username/password for the album set could see all the otherwise hidden ones.

It seems to me that this would be possible, as it is merely adding an album option to bypass the existing check of enclosing album sets.

Am I on a plausible track, and if so would you consider it as a feature request?

Regards
Chris

#6 2014-09-01 10:50:53

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The best way to access these galleries is to right-click them in Lightroom's Publish Services, then "Go to Published Album"

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2014-09-01 17:45:29

chris.palmer

Hi Matt. That's true for someone using the workstation with LR/Publisher on (I hadn't thought of using that option). But it doesn't help when using another workstation, mobile device etc. I've been on the point of just maintaining a separate little web page with links to the hidden albums, but it's so much nicer to use the proper site for navigation.

It's no big deal, but it would solve a few problems for me, especially if it's not too difficult to implement.

Thanks, Chris

Board footer