Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-18 05:07:12

rod barbee
Website

Adding an email verification field to your contact forms

Something I've noticed in all browsers is that if I enter an invalid email address into the Contact Form, it appears that the mail gets sent. I'm not getting any error page to tell me otherwise. But the email never arrives because, I assume, the email verification check in FormtoEmail fails and so no email is sent. But no error is shown either. This means if one of my visitors messes up their email address, they'll think that their email went through and that I'm a rude git for not answering.

If you're willing to do a little extra work, using FormToEmailPro you can compare two email addresses to confirm your visitor's email address. It means that after exporting Pages (or CRG) you have to copy a few lines in the Contact Form make some small changes in the copied lines (and the FormToEmailPro file gives instructions for that). Then just enable the 'confirm email address' check in FormToEmailPro.

It was pretty easy to do (after exporting) and works well for the Contact page. For CRG galleries, it means editing each contact form after export.

So I did this for the form on my Contact page and it works great. Now it's set up so that the email addresses needs to match and if they don't, I get an error page.
I can still enter two identical invalid email address and it looks as if the email is sent, but it never arrives. But at least this will make it so I won't miss any valid messages.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#2 2012-12-18 06:49:56

Kris

Re: Adding an email verification field to your contact forms

Why bother changing after export? 

Just replace the formtoemail in the .lrwebgallery with your own customised formtoemailpro version, but rename it to formtoemail before you drop it in and it self exports. 

Has worked for me for donkeys years.

Last edited by Kris (2012-12-18 06:50:56)

#3 2012-12-18 06:55:33

rod barbee
Website

Form to Email sends the form, but you need the extra field in the form itself, right? Which is generated on the Contact page. The Contact form, as it is, only has one email field. So I had to add the second one (as per the instruction in the FormToEmailPro script)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2012-12-18 06:57:11

Kris

Ahhhhhhh.

#5 2012-12-18 06:57:43

rod barbee
Website

or are you talking about the contact form in the .lrwebengine components/ folder?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2012-12-18 07:47:30

Kris

You should be able to add a 2nd email <fieldset> shouldn't you, assuming it doesn't break Matt's eula?

#7 2012-12-18 08:20:49

rod barbee
Website

I actually  tried that. And the field showed up in Lightroom but the Field label was 'nil' and I assume I'd still have to edit the form to add the label I want.
Having that email verify field would be kind of nice to have though. Any chance of that Matt?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2012-12-18 12:42:06

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I don't want to put unsupported fields into the engine, as the second field wouldn't work with the free version Form-to-Email script that the plugin ships with. But maybe a PHPlugins hook around the form so that forms can be customized that way?

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#9 2012-12-18 13:21:46

rod barbee
Website

I was thinking about that too. It might be easier to do in the long run rather than hacking the form after export.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer