Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-25 20:57:50

wrietvel

CE4 Magnific Popup and Touch are not an improvement

First of: congratulations with the great new CE4! I am generally very happy with it.
I have one major concern though, related to CE4 Gallery (yes, I am at 6.0.2).
CE4 Gallery forces the display of a gallery slideshow on an iPad through Magnific Popup or Touch and both are less than ideal. The major problem is the two big and ugly arrow marks left and right OVER the picture. Who wants to have UI's over their picture. And they are pretty useless too, because everybody instinctively swipes over an iPad display. There really should be an option to get rid of this and, by the way, get rid of every UI, also the ones on top or bottom, while displaying pictures in a slideshow. It was working in CE3, so please restore this in CE4.
Thanks,
WR.

#2 2014-07-25 22:25:42

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: CE4 Magnific Popup and Touch are not an improvement

It's not going to change from what it is.

The arrows are important, as they provide navigation for devices on which swipe might fail. For example, in CE3 galleries Photoswipe was failing on Windows phones, meaning that galleries were completely unnavigable on those devices. It's one of the reasons we've dropped Photoswipe in CE4.

While I am not aware of any devices or browsers on which the 'Touch' presentation does not allow swiping, that's not to say it will always be the case. In the interest of future-proofing, we have the arrows.

Further, there is more than enough precedent. In your phone's browser, visit Facebook, Flickr or Google Images. Their galleries do not support swipe, and instead rely on navigation arrows.

While the UI may not be to your personal taste, it is designed to be in the best interests of the users visiting your website, whomever they may be, and whatever device they may be using.

It was working in CE3, so please ...

Toward the end, no, it wasn't working.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2014-07-26 18:56:57

wrietvel

Re: CE4 Magnific Popup and Touch are not an improvement

Well, that is a pity. Can you at least make the arrows a bit smaller than? Or, even better, add Highslide Slideshow to the options for mobiles?

Board footer