Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-01 00:44:54

iplanit

Any final recommendations on CE3 site?

Thanks to all the information found here and a some specific questions answered by Rod, I think my personal site is ready. But just a few questions regarding future updates. I am using Pages only for a home page. Autoindex is used for the additional pages, which are gallery pages. Gallery is used for the final galleries which reside in the autoindex pages. I am not using Publisher for several reasons. Any suggestions to make this easier to update if needed would be appreciated. I am not using php or custom css, I'm just not knowledgeable enough! Should I use "shared resources"? Also is there a way to use only autoindex and gallery, without pages?
Thanks in advance!

#2 2014-06-01 01:19:37

rod barbee
Website

Re: Any final recommendations on CE3 site?

Also is there a way to use only autoindex and gallery, without pages?

Sure. Just use as normal. Create an autoindex page, put it online, put galleries inside.
The URL to the autoindex will depend on where you put it. If you put it in the root of your site it will be http://yoursite.com/name-of-autoindex/

As far as future updates, if there are functional updates to CE3 Gallery or CE3 Autoindex then you would need to re-export and re-upload all your galleries or indexes IF you wanted to update those pages.
If you were using Publisher, you'd only need to update the templates Publisher uses. Much easier.

One thing to consider is if you ever need to add a navigation item to your  menu. If you have lots of indexes and galleries, that would mean you'd have to add the menu item to each, re-export, and upload. This is where phplugins makes your life a lot easier. And Matt has already set up code for navigation in the phplugins.php file. All you would need to do is modify it to match your menu. Basically it's just copy/paste/make necessary changes to path and item label.

Even if you don't think you'll need to do that, it's still a really good idea to go ahead and enable phplugins right from the start. It's easy to do and will save you lots of time and hassle later on if you do decide you want to manage your menu with phplugins or if you need custom css.
More here: http://ttg-tips.com/top-tip-enable-phplugins-start/

The advantage to using Shared Resources is mainly page loading speed (the core and scaffolding css files and some scripts will have already been loaded). You will get most of the main styling from Pages too: global fonts, page background colors, navigation styling, footer styling, etc. What's not shared is block and grid styling. So you'll still need to style your individual autoindexes and galleries. Using the shared template technique is the easiest way to get all your pages looking the same:
http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … en_engines

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-06-01 01:48:02

iplanit

Rod,
Thanks for the reply. As much as I would like to use php and css, I have no clue. I have enabled php and have the file, but would need a step by step to even try it!. Publisher was the main reason I purchased the package, but I have not been successful in getting it set up. Keep getting error messages. I have checked my host for php version and it appears to be current at 5.4. So out of frustration at my lack of knowledge, I have proceeded as described. I was able to use the shared engines trick!
Thanks again for your prompt replies!

#4 2014-06-01 02:05:39

rod barbee
Website

If you're having problems with Publisher be sure to see this and then post to Publisher section of the forum. Ben is pretty good as solving these problems.

You don't need to know any php to use phplugins (I had no clue about php or css when starting with TTG either--still mostly clueless about php). And Matt has a few step-by-step tutorials in the phplugins section of the docs

But if you've already enabled phplugins site-wide, then you'll be ready to go if you ever feel like tackling more.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer