Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-21 00:48:43

reidthaler

Seeking TTG Best Practices, Tips, Suggestions, and Gotchas

I teach Lightroom and will be teaching an output class where I'd like to highlight TTG plug ins.

I would like to create a list for the class, as well as for this forum on TTG Best Practices, Tips, Suggestions, and Gotchas based on our collective experience. So if you have any, please list them! I'll start:

1. The designer of TTG plugins can't change Palette names, they are baked-in by Adobe, so settings may not appear where you think they should.  Come up with a mnemonics or other tricks to remember were settings are.  For example, think of Color Palette and Copy (as in text) as both starting with "C", so you'll find text under Color Palette.

2. Make sure you update the correct preset! Once overwritten your preset is gone.  They aren't stored in the catalog, so you can't retrieve them from a back up catalog. 

3.  Back up all your Lightroom presets so your TTG created templates will be saved in case you overwrite them:

Windows:
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Mac
//Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/ folder

4. Make a master template for your galleries.  Then when you need to add a new gallery you just need to fill in the Album Title and add text to the page.

5. If you want your galleries to show in a particular order, start off with a number, including a zero before single digits ( i.e. 01, 02, 03)  so 1 and 11 won't be next to each other.

6. To help your site be found by search engines, follow the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) naming conventions found at http://ce3wiki.theturninggate.net/doku. … zation_seo

7. You must refresh the gallery (Cmd/Ctrl-R) to see settings change.  Sometimes a refresh won't show your changes.  In that case, re-save your gallery and then you'll see your changes.

That's a start.  Looking forward to hearing from others.

Thanks,

Reid

#2 2014-03-21 01:01:04

rod barbee
Website

Re: Seeking TTG Best Practices, Tips, Suggestions, and Gotchas

you might be able to mine some material from the oft-forgotten (and in need of updating) FAQ:
http://community.theturninggate.net/top … questions/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-03-21 01:20:58

reidthaler

Thanks!

#4 2014-03-21 04:24:07

rod barbee
Website

One thing that can really help new users is if they gain a basic understanding of css. At least the css box model of Element, Padding, Border, Margin.
Matt uses a lot of css terminology in the plug-in interface (:hover, background-color, etc.) and knowing some css basics can really help.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2014-03-21 12:23:54

Matthew
Administrator
Website

2. Make sure you update the correct preset! Once overwritten your preset is gone.  They aren't stored in the catalog, so you can't retrieve them from a back up catalog.

Not entirely true. You can Undo a template save. I'm not completely clear on the ramifications (whether you would then need to load the preset and re-save it to lock in the file, etc.), but such mistakes are recoverable so long as you recover immediately, and do not quit the application.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer