Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-07 02:17:36

robertmetzler

Migrating test website to the real thing

I've been using a sub-folder of my 10-year-old website to create new TTG pages & test out my understanding and control of all this new stuff.  I've kept this test website very small, assuming that all the specific work will be wasted when I think I'm ready for prime time, since galleries are a level farther down they eventually need to be and the URL of the sub-folder is hard-coded into TTG fields.  Is there a way to get the entire website (which will have 20-30 galleries & several hundred photos) up into my base URL?

#2 2014-02-07 02:59:56

rod barbee
Website

Re: Migrating test website to the real thing

If in the Site RootL field of Site Info you have "http://www.yoursite.com/test/" then you're going to need to change that to "/" in all your pages (Pages, all indexes, and all galleries) and re-export and upload everything to the new location. This is assuming you're using traditionally uploaded galleries rather than Publisher.

If you're using absolute URLs in your galleries' navigation ("http://www.yoursite.com/info.php" for instance rather than relative URLs  "../") then you'll need to change those in every index and gallery.

If using Publisher, you might be able to get away with just changing the navigation settings (Site Root and any absolute URLs) in your templates. Then move the entire /galleries/ folder and all its contents to the new location, and editing your Publisher instance settings to reflect the new top level galleries folder. It seems that should work since the /galleries/galleries.xml file (that Publisher uses) only references galleries within that folder and doesn't rely on absolute URLs.
You'll still need to upload the changed templates to the new /publisher/templates/ and /publisher/templates_autoindex/ folders.

If you've been using phplugins to manage your navigation, you'll need to change the server path to phplugins in each of your Pages, indexes, and galleries. If using Publisher, be sure to make that change in your templates.
You'll then need to edit a few lines in the navigation section you're using in the phplugins file.

If using Cart, you'll need to change all those references too.

that's about all I can think of for now.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2014-02-07 03:51:44

robertmetzler

Thanks, Rod.  I've deliberately kept the number of files small in my testing, and I think I'll be ahead by just abandoning the experimentation I've done so far & start the for-real work from scratch with the proper absolute URLs, new gallery template, etc.  I am using Publisher & am now in the process of setting up Collections, typing in Captions, doing some image edits,  & cleaning up filenames.  Thanks for the tip about Rob Cole's FileRenamer; I've used that to replace all my apostrophes and Lightroom's own File Rename takes care of commas & spaces.  When I get all this ready, it shouldn't take long to put up the proper Pages & gallery template & then only a few hours with Publisher to get that up into the final location.

Maybe Matthew should consider a new feature that would permit people to test in a sub-folder & then automatically migrate everything up one level when they are satisfied.  I'd think that I'm not the only person who uses this approach.

#4 2014-02-07 04:12:07

rod barbee
Website

A lot of people set up their test sites in a sub-domain, rather than a sub-folder, that way you don't have to change a thing unless you're using phplugins (and then you just have to change the server path)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2014-02-07 04:17:42

robertmetzler

That sounds promising, but I've never set up a sub-domain.  I'll take a look at my host 1and1 to see if there is documentation on doing that.  Right now, the difference between a sub-domain & sub-folder isn't clear to me.  I want people to be able to come to my existing www.bobmetzler.com, not have to learn a sub-domain name.  I know the concept of re-direction but have no experience with it.

#6 2014-02-07 05:07:00

rod barbee
Website

a subdomain's address would be something like test.yoursite.com, whereas a subfolder would be yoursite.com/test/

A subdomain acts just like your regular domain.

But when you look at the folder structure of your server, a subdomain is in its own folder, right next to all your other folders. So if you develop in a subdomain, you can then just move the files from that folder to your root folder

I'm not familiar with 1and1, but in the C-Panel of Bluehost, I just click on the Subdomains link under Domain Management. Once you set one up, you just treat the folder that gets created as if it was the root of your site.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2014-02-07 11:54:10

Daniel Leu
Website

It is easy to create a new subdomain with 1and1. In the control panel, open Domain/DomainCenter, then New->Create Subdomain.

Once you have created the subdomain, select Destination and enter a new Target Directory such as /test

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#8 2014-02-07 15:41:22

russ

I am going to piggy back on this, as the issue is similar. We have a TTG site on a seemingly inferior host, iPower. It is very slow, regardless of the pipe one is using. My question is, are the situations similar to the above, that is to say: back up our site onto our local machine, set up new account (blue host), upload to BH server, repair any TTG broken links, set up new WP database, and fix that link. Is this the general idea? Or is there something more catastrophic that could happen, or break? Thanks.

#9 2014-02-07 15:51:58

Matthew
Administrator
Website

That really depends on what you've setup.

Any galleries managed via Publisher, you will need to re-publish. They cannot be moved from one server to another.

If you're migrating a WordPress blog, then you'll need to brush up on migration procedure for WordPress.

You could theoretically move Pages, but I don't know why you would want to. If you've saved templates in LR, then LR is your website backup and it's probably easier to update the Site Root and PHPlugins path in LR, re-export and upload to the new server. And the same goes for most other things.

Because you're creating through Lightroom, then you LR collections and templates should be your definitive backup.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#10 2014-02-07 15:54:32

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Regarding PHPlugins, you can usually copy the /phplugins/ folder from the old site to the new one. You may need to update some of the functions if they are path dependent (like the WordPress navigation mod), but that shouldn't be difficult to do. In most cases, the /phplugins/ folder should be the only place that user customizations exist external to LR.

Matt

#11 2014-02-07 16:13:44

russ

Matthew wrote:

That really depends on what you've setup.

Any galleries managed via Publisher, you will need to re-publish. They cannot be moved from one server to another.

If you're migrating a WordPress blog, then you'll need to brush up on migration procedure for WordPress.

You could theoretically move Pages, but I don't know why you would want to. If you've saved templates in LR, then LR is your website backup and it's probably easier to update the Site Root and PHPlugins path in LR, re-export and upload to the new server. And the same goes for most other things.

Because you're creating through Lightroom, then you LR collections and templates should be your definitive backup.

Right you are, I had not thought of it quite that way. Not sure what, if anything, might be missed with that approach, but with LR and a complete back up of the site, should be able to muddle through. Thanks Matthew.

#12 2014-03-19 04:14:29

russ

RE migrating to new host. We have set up a new Blue Host account and are in process of migrating from the old host to Blue Host and have a question or two. The Pages upload went fine and is live on the temp site. Publisher is another matter. I am guessing that I have to wait for all name servers and domain redirection to complete before I can reconfigure publisher for the new host. Is this so? Or is there any work I can do while I wait 5 days for all the backend hosting/domain transfer stuff to complete? Thanks Russ

#13 2014-03-19 14:51:03

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I suppose you will need to wait so that the API URL will resolve, allowing the publisher plugin to connect to the installed API. In the meantime, you can put the publisher's files and templates in place, setup WordPress if you plan to use it, etc.

Matt

#14 2014-03-20 03:18:25

russ

Need some help with publisher authentication regarding our site migration to blue host. Here are the specs

PATH:   /home2/larrynol/public_html/phplugins
PERMISSIONS: folders and files set to 755
API:     http://larrynolson.com/publisher/api/    publisher folder in place on server with config file
PASSWORD:    checked API password and is correct in both places

Does not authenticate, cannot publish.

#15 2014-03-20 05:50:54

rod barbee
Website

Russ, you might want to post this in the Publisher section as well so Ben will be sure to see it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer