Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-02 01:51:42

mercujc

CE3 with CE2 Cart?

I'm contracting with someone to build my website who has recommended TTG CE2 Cart and CE2 Horizon. I'll use Bluehost and a Mac.  I like the idea of uploading directly from LR4 though, so should I invest in the CE3 bundle and CE2 Cart?    Ultimately I'll want to manage my site myself but have very little experience.  Thanks.

#2 2013-04-02 02:07:43

rod barbee
Website

Re: CE3 with CE2 Cart?

Right now, CE2 Cart can only work with CE2 Galleries. The CE3 Cart is on the way later in the year according to the blog and wiki.
If you get the bundle, I believe you also get CE2 Highslide and Photoswipe as well, just so you can use the Cart. CE2 Horizon would be separate (but according to the Docs, the CE3 version is mid 2013)

Once CE3 Cart is available, it will be an easy matter of updating your galleries to CE3, providing you're using Publisher to manage those galleries. At that point, it's a simple matter of applying a new template.

It sounds like you're creating a complete site, so in that case, if it were me, I'd get the bundle along with the Cart, and Horizon (if that's the gallery look you want) and then design Pages CE3, whichever CE2 Gallery you choose, and the Cart with as close to the same visual look as possible. You won't be able to get an exact match but you'll come close.

Use Publisher to manage all your galleries and when CE3 Cart becomes available it will be an easy matter to update your galleries to the CE3 design.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2013-04-02 02:58:43

mercujc

Thanks Rod.  I assume you mean CE2 bundle plus Horizon now.    Then later when the CE3 cart is ready, get that and design pages CE3.

#4 2013-04-02 03:22:12

rod barbee
Website

CE3 bundle. CE2 is on its way out. With the CE3 bundle you get CE3 Pages, CE3 Autoindex, CE3 Publisher, and CE3 Gallery. You also get CE2 Highslide and Photoswipe for use if you need to use the Cart. Horizon CE2 is also cart compatible.

Design your site in CE3 Pages and then do your best to match that design in the CE2 galleries (to use with the Cart). I'd recommend either using Highslide or Horizon, along with Publisher, if this is what you plan.

Publisher uses templates created by compatible galleries and therefore you can update a design by simply creating, uploading, and choosing a new template. Photoswipe CE2 is not Publisher compatible so you wouldn't be able to update any of those galleries with a change in Publisher templates. Not a real big deal unless you have lots of galleries.

The other galleries are Publisher compatible and so once CE3 Cart is available it's just a matter of creating a new gallery template, uploading it, and, within Publisher, changing the template a gallery is using.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer