Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-12 16:46:07

JezUK

Newbie - Need LR to create One Website with Sub-Galleries

I've been directed to here from LightroomQueen website - they say your software might help.

I'm not looking for a professional / smart looking solution - just a solution which works (as this is for internal usage / purposes).

I have around 3000 photos, spread over 100 folders.

I use LR6, to create a gallery, but the software just creates one massive gallery, ignoring the folders, so I'm left with a gallery of 3000 photos.

That's not what I want.

What I want is to have a gallery which will have some sort of main index page, say of 100 links to those 100 folders, so that when I click on a link I'm taken to a gallery of the photos ONLY for that folder.

I appreciate that the LR gallery creator might not be able to do that first Index Page (containing my 100 links), but I can't believe I'm the first ever photographer out there who wants something like this ? 

So far, I can see that I can set up a SMART Collection for each folder - and whilst that would be a bit of a manual process (for over 100 folders) that'd get me there for a folder.  But then I'd have to manually create a gallery for each smart collection...... (100+ times..., editing each title manually.....).

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

#2 2019-08-12 21:25:55

rod barbee
Website

Re: Newbie - Need LR to create One Website with Sub-Galleries

Is this for internal use on a web server?
If so, Backlight will do what you want as long as your host conforms with the requirements.
http://theturninggate.net/backlight-2/ (middle of page)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-08-12 21:53:06

JezUK

Hi Rod,

When I say for internal usage, I mean it's not going to be a web page that will be indexed in Google, search engines etc.

It's work related, and I'll only be providing links to the website for those people I work with for whom these images might be of interest.

I'll be hosting it on my website - I've just taken a look at your requirements page - I believe I have those.

How involved will this be to create ? (I know, a $64,000 question) - but this is a one off, so my next question is, is this possible using the LR plugin or do I need to purchase the Backlight2 (I'm looking for the least expensive solution)

#4 2019-08-12 22:15:37

rod barbee
Website

To have index pages created for you, you need a Backlight 2, which comes with the Publisher plugin.

Another option is to use one of the TTG Lightroom Gallery plugins and then manually create your own index page.
http://theturninggate.net/lr-plugins/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-08-12 23:08:56

JezUK

Hi Rod,

So just to confirm, the lr plugins will create a website that'll have 100 separate galleries ?

Will it be a one-click process ?  I just don't see enough information from that link for me to understand how it's going to be done and what I'll need to set up beforehand for it all to work.

I can create that 100 link master index page.

#6 2019-08-12 23:22:33

rod barbee
Website

The LR plugins won't create a website. They will create individual galleries, just like the built in Lightroom web galleries. Only the TTG plugins make nicer looking galleries.

It's not exactly one-click. You'll need to place the images in your folders into Web Collections in the Web Module (this is what will create the individual galleries rather than the one giant one you're getting now--in fact, you can do this with the existing gallery options in Lightroom) . You'll need to upload each gallery individually. Just like the existing web galleries in the Web Module

If you need a complete site, then get Backlight

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-08-13 00:26:32

JezUK

Thanks Rod,

Totally understood - I went ahead and purchased the Grid one, that'll do me for now.

I'd love to have purchased Backlight, but it's for a job where the price for that would have been uneconomic for me.

Thank you for explaining.  And yes, I agree, the TTG plugin gallery does look a LOT nicer smile

Last edited by JezUK (2019-08-13 00:26:44)

#8 2019-08-14 09:49:43

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Thanks, JezUK. Both for your compliment that our galleries look a lot nicer, and for your patronage. I hope you will come back at some point in the future to give Backlight a go.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer