Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#51 2016-07-24 02:51:33

jherman
Website

Re: How to add image or slide show to home page?

Found and fixed my first problem with my WOW Slider slide show. I fiddled with the xxxx.html (in my case wowslider.html) file in the root directory to set the background color to the same as my page layout background color in Backlight.

Matt said something recently about colors not being colors ... I had to do a bit of trial and error to match the Backlight gray with the WOW slider gray. In my case the Backlight #848484 translates to WOW #757575

The non standard size was chosen to reflect the APC sensor on my Canon camera with a 1.5:1 width:height ratio and a width of 640 pixels which my site seems to like. 427 it is.

Now what happens is in portrait mode, the background color matches and is not visible.

</head>
<body style="background-color:#d7d7d7;margin:auto"><!-- RESET COLOR TO #757575 /jrh -->

Last edited by jherman (2016-07-24 02:57:32)

User with too little time but coding is therapeutic.

#52 2016-09-16 14:49:27

admint
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:

Got my slideshow implementation documented. The example is over on my site at http://stage.danielleu.com/slideshow.php and the setup instructions are over on my blog.

It is easy to do and I am happy with the result.

OK, I am obviously missing something because this isn't working for me, despite following your instructions to the letter (I think).

Anyway all I get is a small black box on the upper left side of my home page with an X in it.... www.exposedvisions.com

What am I missing?

Thanks.

#53 2016-09-16 15:03:44

Daniel Leu
Website

admint wrote:
Daniel Leu wrote:

Got my slideshow implementation documented. The example is over on my site at http://stage.danielleu.com/slideshow.php and the setup instructions are over on my blog.

It is easy to do and I am happy with the result.

OK, I am obviously missing something because this isn't working for me, despite following your instructions to the letter (I think).

Anyway all I get is a small black box on the upper left side of my home page with an X in it.... www.exposedvisions.com

What am I missing?

Thanks.

The recommended way to add a slideshow now is to use the Backlight Theater module. This was not available at the time I wrote about how I made the slideshow.

Regarding your page, I see the slideshow starting... but you have only one image listed. So there is not much the slideshow code can do.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#54 2016-09-16 15:12:26

admint
Website

Actually I just loaded more; however, the issue is it works, but if I click another link on the page and go back, it breaks, and does what I described in the earlier post.

Anyway how do I use theatre to get your effects. I tried theatre, but couldn't get it setup like yours.

Edit: I found my issue. It seems to be a link issue with the "Home" page. If I click "Home" I get the above issue. If I click the root link (exposedvisions.com) everything works fine.  Need to fix my "Home" link.

Thanks.

Last edited by admint (2016-09-16 15:23:08)

#55 2016-09-16 22:29:41

rod barbee
Website

Anyway how do I use theatre to get your effects. I tried theatre, but couldn't get it setup like yours.

You can't. But as mentioned on the Store page Theater is: " ... presently in "early-access", with a limited selection of presentation types; new presentation types and features will be added in updates." So it may be coming.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#56 2016-09-17 00:32:36

admint
Website

Yeah I see. I bought Theatre for this type of design purpose, but as you said, it can't be done; thus Daniel's solution works beautifully for me. At this point in time I'll have to shelve theatre.  I'm a bit bemused why you'd sell it at this stage. But than again, I bought it so...

Anyway thanks for the feedback.  You guys are a great help here.

#57 2016-09-17 01:02:15

rod barbee
Website

I'm not selling it (see my signature below).
Theater, at this point, has many of the features CE4 Stage has. With more reportedly to come. People were requesting it and are now using it. So why not sell it?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#58 2016-09-17 02:15:11

admint
Website

Yeah, I know you yourself aren't selling it, Matthew is.

Anyway it's kind of hard to complain now, being there was fair warning. However, had I known it wasn't able to do what I needed at the time, I would have surely waited. 

At any rate I await to see how it matures; and the fact that it's able to embed video clips is a nice feature I may use in the future.

And I may voice my opinions, but I do appreciate the work you guys do, and the speedy responses provided. Nice job.

Thanks.

#59 2016-09-17 02:45:50

Daniel Leu
Website

rod barbee wrote:

You can't. But as mentioned on the Store page Theater is: " ... presently in "early-access", with a limited selection of presentation types; new presentation types and features will be added in updates." So it may be coming.

Hmm... I am using Theater and I got the same effect.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#60 2016-09-17 03:29:20

rod barbee
Website

maybe we're thinking of different effects, I was assuming it was about the drop-shadows. It thought the question was in reference to this page: http://stage.danielleu.com/slideshow.php
you're getting drop shadows in Theater?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#61 2016-09-17 03:49:51

Daniel Leu
Website

rod barbee wrote:

maybe we're thinking of different effects, I was assuming it was about the drop-shadows. It thought the question was in reference to this page: http://stage.danielleu.com/slideshow.php

Drop-shadows? Hmm... how about this:

.gallery {
    box-shadow: 4px 4px 8px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5);
}

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#62 2016-09-17 05:24:54

admint
Website

rod barbee wrote:

It was actually in reference to this site: http://www.sweetlightgallery.com/, as asked here: http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … 276#p41276

But Daniel's page works too.  Anyway I got it figured out: http://www.exposedvisions.com. Site isn't finished, but that's the slide show style I was after.  I can't seem to get that with Theatre.

Thanks.

#63 2016-09-17 07:46:31

rod barbee
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:
rod barbee wrote:

Drop-shadows? Hmm... how about this:

.gallery {
    box-shadow: 4px 4px 8px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5);
}

yep, that works. It applies the box-shadow to the container, so the aspect ratio of the show needs to closely match that of the images used. And the images should be all of the same orientation. And "Cover" should be chosen for the Image Scaling.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#64 2016-09-17 09:20:29

admint
Website

Yeah that works, but the issue is it crops the top and bottom of my image, whereas Daniels solution doesn't.

I think is the code that makes Daniel's work better for me...

div#slideshow {
    max-width: 800px;
    margin-right: auto;
    margin-left: auto;
}

var ratio = 2/3; // image area aspect ratio

The issue is when I edit my images, I do so without regards to size... i.e. I create my images for a look, not to fit a standard size. Thus I may have images of varying sizes, no matter how subtle.  In this instance Daniel's original solution works better. Drop shadows just fit perfectly around my images.

I tried tinkering with aspect ratio under Vegas slideshow but can't seem to get it right. Something like auto size or auto fit would be perfect here.

Thanks for the help and suggestions though, as I now have options.

Thanks.

Last edited by admint (2016-09-17 09:31:58)

Board footer