Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-23 03:46:36

dbfoto

RSS feed. How to add the RSSfeed button?

Hi,
How do I add the button to enable visitors to subscribe to the page?

#2 2020-05-24 03:11:44

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: RSS feed. How to add the RSSfeed button?

You don't need a button to allow visitors to subscribe. Simply copying the page URL into an RSS reader should be sufficient (most that use RSS should already be familiar with this process).

If you'd prefer, though, you can use the social media icons in the page template to add an RSS icon, and then use the URL yourdomain.com/feed for the main site feed.

Else you can include a link anywhere that you are able to use HTML for content.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2020-05-24 07:56:46

dbfoto

I have my website set to report only my main address www.fotograafdonald.nl.
I prefer not to reveal the whole path just for aesthetic reason. The button would be  a lot of work though for every page...

Thinking about it... thanks

#4 2020-05-24 08:19:21

rod barbee
Website

From what I've seen, if you just plug in your feed enabled site in the search form of your favorite rss feeder, it will find the site and add it to the feed.
It will pick up all new albums, no need to add it album by album or page by page.

So anyone who uses a feed reader will know how to do it, you can just inform them.
Perhaps use the RSS icon in the social media area and link it to a page that informs viewers that the site can be added to their favorite feed reader.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2020-05-25 08:10:49

Matthew
Administrator
Website

dbfoto wrote:

I have my website set to report only my main address www.fotograafdonald.nl.
I prefer not to reveal the whole path just for aesthetic reason.

A separate conversation, but I am obliged to advise you that this is not a good idea. This loads your entire site into an iframe. That's bad for plenty of reasons.

First of all, Backlight isn't built to live in an iframe, and so I can make no guarantees of expected behavior when running in such a context. For example, when I visit your site on a phone, your text is microscopic and illegible. Why? Because the iframe prevents the site from behaving properly responsive.

This is bad for SEO. Try Googling your site as "site: fotograafdonald.nl". You will see that Google shows only your home page, then direct links to your image pages. Links to your image pages all result in 404, because it's impossible to access your site by any URL apart from root.

For example, fotograafdonald.nl/galleries should be a legitimate address on any Backlight site. For you, it's 404.

Hiding your URLs also makes it impossible for your visitors to bookmark or share your pages.

And you're basically disallowing the browser from doing the job it's meant to do. You would do well to confine your aesthetic concerns to the page, and just let the browser do what it does best. That's how the Internet works.

I could come up with more reasons, but I think I've made my point.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2020-05-25 09:00:09

tgalex
Website

Matt - Happy Memorial Day! I know you’re busy on a lot of fronts but at one point I think you mentioned doing one of the videos relating to the RSS function. I love the short videos you’ve done already - still working on one for RSS?  Stay safe.

#7 2020-05-26 04:29:47

dbfoto

OK... I'll switch it back then... never thought of it that way. Photographer... not sitebuilder. Thanks Matt!

Board footer