Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-30 09:57:39

chumby

Workflow for non lightroom publishing (to include watermarks)

Hi there,

Just like to confirm my workflow for publishing photos without using lightroom.

1) Upload non watermarkered photos (<2mb) through the web publisher.  Unwatermarked thumbnails are now created.
2) FTP into the site and delete all the unwatermared files you just uploaded which are found in the "master" folder within the album
3) Load into this "Master Folder" via ftp now watermarked images with the same name as the originals that were uploaded.

So now I will have unwatermarked thumbnails to view as well as watermarked larger single page images?

Is that right or am I missing out on any part of the proceedure?

Thanks,
Chumby

#2 2020-01-30 10:08:53

rod barbee
Website

Re: Workflow for non lightroom publishing (to include watermarks)

sounds good. Have you tried it yet?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-01-30 10:21:40

chumby

Hi Rod,

Yes I have, unsure about the "photos" folder within the album - not sure what to do there in this process.  Also was not getting a consistent single page scroll when I was scrolling through say a set of 6 images returned in a search.  Other images not in the search result were being shown as I clicked back ond forth.  Not sure f this is an indexing or caching thing though.

Cheers
Chumby

#4 2020-01-30 11:14:26

Ben

It’s not advisable to touch the master renditions. These are used internally by Publisher to create the other renditions as the files are uploaded. In the future they will be reused to regenerate renditions based on changes to the album templates.
Which version of the files are you intending to have watermarks and which without? e.g. thumbnails, large images for display in the browser (‘photos’), photos for download or photos for purchase.

#5 2020-01-30 12:17:29

chumby

Thanks Ben.

Inserting one album on as an index page. Thumbnails displayed here with no watermarks.  Then click through to single page image which is watermarked.  Eventually clients will be able to download a version of this image without the watermarks - as well as a smaller image and larger image.

So from PhotoMechanic I am have open -

Master Catalog - Uncompressed Tiff Files

then 4 exports to the folders:

-1.  Small jpeg - <11mb) - 600px edge
-2.  Medium jpeg (<2mb) jpeg - 1200px edge
-3.  Medium jpeg (<2mb) jpeg - 1200px edge  (With Watermark to be displayed through Backlight)
-4.  Large jpeg - full resultion of photo.

I upload photos in folder 2 through publisher, which then creates the thumbnails for my index page.  I then delete these photos from Master (via ftp) and replace with photos from folder 3, so clients see the watermarked single page image.

Does that make sense?

Cheers
Chumby

#6 2020-01-30 12:38:33

Ben

Hi Chumby, the confusion is whether you're referring to a folder named 'master' within the gallery when logged in via FTP.  Are you changing the files within that directory?

#7 2020-01-30 12:50:24

chumby

Hi Ben,

Yes at the moment I am via FTP.

In my alblum folder I can see via ftp the folders: custom_thumbnails, master, photos, thumbnails as well as some other files.  When I ftp into the "master" folder here I can see the original images that I upload via the web publisher.  My thinking was that if I replaced these images (delete these and ftp in new ones) I could replace the original non water marked images with watermarked images that would now appear on the single page view.  The files names would be the same... so I presumed there would be no difference.

Am I wrong in doing this?

Cheers
Chumby

#8 2020-01-30 12:53:13

Ben

Yes, you are wrong in doing that.  If you want to replace the large images, replace those in the 'photos' directory.
The 'master' directory is used internally by Publisher.  Changing anything in there after files have already been published will have no affect on your site.

#9 2020-01-30 12:54:24

Ben

To replace thumbnails, update the files within 'thumbnails'.  To replace the large photos on the single pages, replace the files within 'photos.

#10 2020-01-30 15:24:12

chumby

Yep, ok - no worries Ben. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,
Chumby

Board footer