Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-31 17:15:16

admint
Website

Search feature reveals hidden albums

Just discovered that the search feature reveals hidden albums. During a search for a photo also brought it up in my hidden Film album.  It was my understanding you could have hidden albums with the hide album feature and not have them shown. 

To test this search for a photo named "Thoughts" and the photo will be shown in the Film album which is supposed to be hidden.

Is this a bug or something, and can it be fixed? Did I miss a setting that excludes hidden albums from searches?

Thanks.

#2 2016-12-31 21:04:46

Ben

Re: Search feature reveals hidden albums

Edit the album and visit the Features tab. Is the Hide from Search setting checked?

#3 2017-01-01 04:21:15

admint
Website

Perhaps I'm missing an updated version I don't know about but there is no "Hide from Search" setting...

Album%20Edit%20Features.PNG

The application version is 3.1.1, and the backlight version is 1.1.1

Am I missing something?

Thanks

#4 2017-01-01 04:44:18

rod barbee
Website

edit the albums, not the album set

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-01-01 08:15:46

admint
Website

Yeah I see it now. Thanks smile

Oh, and it would be nice if there was an option for album sets as I've got 7 albums in this one set. Editing them all for the same feature is a bit of a pain. Nothing major, but still...

Again, thanks.

Last edited by admint (2017-01-01 08:21:34)

#6 2017-01-03 01:04:50

michilge
Website

Hi and a good new year!

But the way it is, we can put hidden albums in any set.
That's fine. Isn't it?

#7 2017-01-03 01:35:39

rod barbee
Website

admint wrote:

Yeah I see it now. Thanks smile

Oh, and it would be nice if there was an option for album sets as I've got 7 albums in this one set. Editing them all for the same feature is a bit of a pain. Nothing major, but still...

Again, thanks.

my guess is that since images are published at the album level (album set can't publish images) and since the search feature searches on images, that the hiding must be done at the album level too.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2017-01-03 02:07:31

admint
Website

Yeah, I could see that, but It would just be cool if the switch worked on sets as well. That is if a set is hidden, all images in that set are automatically hidden from search.  Or the search feature bypasses any hidden album or album set.

Anyway it's a minor issue for me, but it could be a major if one has a private album for specific clients.

My two cents.

#9 2017-01-03 04:11:31

rod barbee
Website

I believe that regular albums that are password protected are automatically hidden from search. Same with any Client Response albums.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2017-01-03 11:17:00

Ben

The onus is on you to hide albums you want hidden. Adding support for this at the album set level would introduce algorithm and performance penalties that far outweigh the benefits.

#11 2017-01-03 15:33:27

admint
Website

That's fine. We can still make suggestions though. Nonetheless you've explained why not, and that's good enough for me.

Thanks.

#12 2017-02-09 07:47:37

DigitalOxygen.ca
Website

I have a similar request and am wondering if it's possible to handle this at the Backlight server level as opposed to adding the overhead in the album set's within Lightroom / Publisher.

I want my main portfolio under /portfolio to be searchable, but I do not want anything under /clients to be searchable.  As it stands the photo search seems to bring up results from both even though they are in separate top-level directories and I use separate instances of the Publisher service to manage them from Lightroom.

Perhaps there can be a setting in Backlight to exclude specific directories from the search? Perhaps a comma or space separated list of directories names to exclude?  In my case it would be as simple as /clients.

True that currently the onus is on the user to hide albums, but users are human and humans make mistakes.  On my current CE3 site I have roughly 50+ client albums sets with multiple albums in most. When I migrate them to my backlight site and add new galleries in the future I'm bound to miss the "Hide from search" option on one or two, no matter how careful I try to be.

It would be nice to have a failsafe like this so it doesn't impact our client relationships.  Some clients photos are very sensitive and having them revealed accidentally to the public could be disastrous for both parties.

Commercial, Portrait, Event, Automotive Photography: http://digitaloxygen.ca
Art Photography: http://benjphotography.ca

#13 2017-02-09 07:50:23

rod barbee
Website

I want my main portfolio under /portfolio to be searchable, but I do not want anything under /clients to be searchable.

If you use the Client Response Add-on, albums made with a Client Response template are not searchable.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2017-02-09 07:58:15

DigitalOxygen.ca
Website

At the moment I use client response but am probably switching to Cart for my new Backlight site (or at least going to use it equally as much) for delivering final client photos and allowing print orders.

#15 2017-02-09 12:59:32

Daniel Leu
Website

True that currently the onus is on the user to hide albums, but users are human and humans make mistakes.  On my current CE3 site I have roughly 50+ client albums sets with multiple albums in most. When I migrate them to my backlight site and add new galleries in the future I'm bound to miss the "Hide from search" option on one or two, no matter how careful I try to be.

When creating a new album, you can copy the settings from an existing one. How about creating a template album that has all your default settings? When you create a new album, you would select your template album to copy the initial settings from.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#16 2017-02-09 14:08:07

DigitalOxygen.ca
Website

Hmmm, interesting solution.  I could work, but because it still requires manual steps (which can be forgotten) it's not perfect.  A 'set it and forget it' approach is probably the only thing that could be fully trusted when it comes to the clients privacy.

#17 2017-02-09 15:20:40

Matthew
Administrator
Website

As Ben has already said, the onus is on you to hide albums you want hidden. I do not think we will be revisiting this any time soon. It's something we may need to revisit in the future, when we will hopefully offer options other than Lightroom's publisher to create albums in Backlight. But this is not something likely to change in 1.x.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#18 2020-01-03 08:42:44

peiibo

When a album is private, the search exclude this album. That's ok. But when the user are logged on, The search should include the authorized albums, is n't? I can't achieve this feature. It is actualy possible?

#19 2020-01-03 08:54:54

rod barbee
Website

this is not currently possible.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2020-01-03 09:08:48

peiibo

Ok, thank you very much for the fast answer

Board footer