Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-28 01:50:27

RPPugh
Website

New User - some CE3 queries and observations

Hi
I’m new to TTG – just bought the CE3 bundle last week – and I’m definitely an amateur when it comes to creating web sites, so forgive me if some of this is basic stuff, or has been covered before. I think that I’ve read most of the documentation and tutorials on the web site, and tried to search the forums, so any help would be appreciated.

My objective is simply to create a personal photography showcase (again, as an amateur) using a combination of Pages, Auto Index, Gallery and Publisher – with one wrinkle – see 1 & 2 below.

1.  I am creating a private set of galleries for sharing family photos – it’s not navigable/visible from the main pages - I’m using an Auto Index as the top level starting in a folder  root/family/.  I assume that this is the logical choice, rather than a second instance of Pages, as I want it password protected at the top level?

2.  One issue that’s arisen with this is that I’m trying to use a sub-domain to access the family pages – family.rppugh.co.uk – which is directed to rppugh.co.uk/family/, and that seems to be causing issues with fonts at the very least.
If I go there explicitly –  www.rppugh.co.uk/family/ - everything seems to work just fine.
BUT if I go there via the sub-domain – family.rppugh.co.uk – then the icons (font awesome??) don’t show – for example, I can’t see the navigation symbols for the Highslide gallery – the controls are there(e.g. if I hover or click), but not visible.
I note that the browser address bar is showing rppugh.co.uk/family/ - i.e. without www at the start, so I’m guessing that this is messing up some of the internal addressing? Are there some settings that I can change to make this work?

3.  Different issue – I was surprised to see that there doesn’t appear to be any navigation in either gallery or auto index to go back up to the parent index. Am I missing something?
If not, what’s the easiest way to fix this? Put an entry in the navigation bar with a target of ../ ??

4.  Then password protection threw me a couple of times – firstly – how long does sign-in persist? I was surprised the see that if I navigated away from the protected area – even to closing the browser – that when I went back, I was still signed in – made testing a bit difficult, and could be an issue on a shared computer, no?

5.  Secondly – this one drove me nuts for a while – I’m guessing that there are some restrictions on the format of user name? I set up a user of the form Jack&Jill, which was accepted at set up, but when I came to sign in, it just failed – kept repeating the sign-in window, with no error showing. Initially, totally baffling!!! An error message – either at setup or sign-in would have been really helpful.

All thoughts, suggestions will be gratefully received – even if they are “Don’t be daft – why on earth are you doing it that way” – as I said, I’m new to as lot of this.

#2 2013-03-28 02:20:55

richam
Website

Re: New User - some CE3 queries and observations

Like you, I'm rather new at this, and I'd like to see the answers to several of your questions myself.  Right now, I can address number 3.  Here's my website:  http://www.michaelrichardsphotography.com.  I did the "go to parent index" with font awesome.  Here's the navigation line:

<li><a href="../"><i class="icon-caret-up icon-large"></i></a></li>

I used the site-wide php navigation routine, so put this line directly into the routine.  If you're using the LR web module Navigation Links section, you can get the result by putting:

<i class="icon-caret-up icon-large"></i> in the Label field and ../ in the Target: field.  Of course, you can put "Up" or "parent" or whatever in the Label.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck with the website.

#3 2013-03-28 02:47:37

rod barbee
Website

RP-

Don’t be daft – why on earth are you doing it that way  wink

1) Good choice for what you want. Yes it can be password protected.

2) I looks like you're running into the same Firefox issue others have seen. If you look at your site in Chrome, for instance, you probably won't run into any problems. You'll need to add a little bit of code to the .htaccess file
Take a look at this thread, specifically a link Matt provides, for a solution: http://community.theturninggate.net/post/6202/#p6202
It leads here in case you want to go directly to it: http://www.cssbakery.com/2010/07/fixing … in_25.html

3)  The easiest way to provide a back link is to include a back link in the navigation menu. You can label it "Back to Index" and set the target to ../
Or if you want to get classy, do what Richam suggests. It looks pretty nice, actually.
You could also include a text link in the copy block using Markdown like so: [Back to Index](../)

4)  Yep, sign-in will persist. You can create another nav menu item or a text link named "Logout"  with the target the same as your gallery except with "?logout" (without the quotes) appended to the URL as Matt describes here: http://community.theturninggate.net/top … rotection/
Also, if you quit the browser that should clear the log in as well.

5) I couldn't find anything specific in the documentation about Password protection and user names, but my guess is that &, having its own meaning in php, is throwing things off. So I'd suggest avoiding any special characters in the Username, and maybe even the password. Stick to letters and numbers. Hyphens and underscores might be ok, since they work fine for folder and file names. But test to be sure.

rod

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2013-03-28 04:32:01

RPPugh
Website

Rod, Richam

Thanks for those ideas and answers - it will probably be  a day or two, but I'll try all of that out and let you know how I get on.

Just one point Rod - you call 2) a Firefox issue - and it certainly occurs with Firefox (in my case 18.0.2), where what I see is a fuzzy box with what looks like a hex code inside it.

BUT it also occurs on IE10, which was even more baffling, because that showed absolutely nothing - e.g. the box of controls for the Highslide gallery was just a white box, with nothing showing inside. So is this the same issue, or have I got another problem?

Oh - and where do I find the .htaccess file - I can't seem to find any such file on my server?

Richard

#5 2013-03-28 05:38:11

rod barbee
Website

Yep, IE 10 too. The fix I linked to should take care of that as well, at least it has on others' sites.

If you don't have an .htaccess file on your server, just create one with a text editor. Open your text editor, create a new file, add the code, and save as .htaccess. then upload to your server.

there's more here: http://www.htaccess-guide.com/ or just Google htaccess

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer