Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-07 09:02:31

5Michael5

unable to upgrade from Backlight to Backlight 2

I tried to upgrade an older Backlight 1.2.3. website to Backlight 2.

Here a the problems I ran into:

1. Where are my downloads? I own a license for Backlight 2, Pages, Theater, Wordpress, Client Response, but none of the old links to sendowl or anything like a TTG-account work. For one thing this makes it impossible to "use the latest updates" as advised on this community.

2. There are a few lines in the "documentation" about "Upgrading from Backlight to Backlight 2" but these are unclear. For instance, two directories are supposed to be left behind from the older Backlight installation (/backlight/data and /backlight/custom) but then we are supposed to "Continue to install Backlight 2 according to the Backlight 2 Installation Setup"..... What to do with the data and custom folders therein? I tried not installing those, but logging in to mydomain/backlight brought back the old version 1.2.3.

3. As I use pages, I wanted to install that as well, but it is unclear where that part of the installation software is. Needless to see that I did not even get to the point of trying to (re)install client response, theater etc.

Must say I am disappointed that after such a long time the documentation is still so poor that I cannot use my software without asking for help.

#2 2019-12-07 09:27:45

rod barbee
Website

Re: unable to upgrade from Backlight to Backlight 2

1. When you install Backlight 2, all the add-ons are installed from the Backlight Modules page, there are no downloads
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … nd_updates

2. Do not upload the data/ and custom/ folders that are inside of the unzipped installer backlight/ folder

3. Backlight 2 comes with the Pages module already. You will not be installing any of your old modules.

Make sure that you upload the index.php and .htaccess files found inside the root of the unzipped Backlight-2-Installer-107 folder to the root of your site, replacing the existing files

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-12-07 09:35:08

Daniel Leu
Website

Have a look at Matt's video providing an overview how things work with BL2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBbAWsX … e=youtu.be

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#4 2019-12-09 01:35:10

5Michael5

Thanks Rod and Daniel. I am not unfamiliar with Backlight 2, in fact I run a few sites on it, but they were "fresh starts".
I was under the impression that upgrading meant: changing the software, and then get on with my data/galleries etc.....

Now for the one I am trying to upgrade from One to Backlight 2:

- I got a bit further thanks to Rods instructions, but I end up with an "empty" site.
- visiting the site result in HTTP error 500, so that is no help.
- cleared all caches, updated/reinstalled from Backlight 2's admin module, and I do see that my galleries still exist
- however: I cannot access anything, getting red error messages like this one https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlB4kN3DO4XXg95Ovgg … A?e=J5Q637

#5 2019-12-09 02:05:28

rod barbee
Website

That error implies that the Okapi modules have not been installed. Visit your Backlight Modules page and make sure they're installed. They're near the bottom of the page.

Did you finish the install instructions by visiting the Admin, Designer and Publisher sections in Backlight.
Number three in the upgrade instructions
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … acklight_2

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-12-09 04:38:53

5Michael5

I just may get there..... now that the Okapi modules have been installed, I can access my galleries from within the Backlight module (vistit site), but that is all.
Yes, I (re and re)visited the Admin etc., but still no home page, no contact page.......same http-error 500.

#7 2019-12-09 04:56:20

rod barbee
Website

Did you upload the index.php and .htaccess files from the root of the unzipped download (not the ones from the backlight/ folder) to the root of your site?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2019-12-09 06:37:52

5Michael5

I tried that three times (!) and only get more errors, either with or without /backlight.
Like: twenty times:        /installer/installer OR /backlight/backlight/installer/installer

#9 2019-12-09 06:41:12

rod barbee
Website

5Michael5 wrote:

I tried that three times (!) and only get more errors, either with or without /backlight.
Like: twenty times:        /installer/installer OR /backlight/backlight/installer/installer

not sure what you're getting at here.

In the unzipped Backlight-2-Installer-107 folder you have two folders and two files:

backlight/
galleries/
index.php
.htaccess

those two files, index.php and .htaccess need to be in the root of your site alongside the backlight/ and galleries/ folders.

Is this how it is on your site?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-12-09 06:50:06

5Michael5

That went wrong, my system told me the message could not be sent, and I was still going to add something about a too many redirect error.
In the meantime I may have found something important: it does NOT help to upload the two files if they already exist on the server (from previous Backlight version). Now, I deleted both files on the server, and THEN uploaded the new ones, and that seems to work.
However, the layout is a complete mess and starts with yet another error:

@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Alegreya+Sans:500,500i,700,700i');

#11 2019-12-09 06:58:02

5Michael5

And..... I cannot access the backlight module anymore because of
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS
after which I tried clearing the site's cookies to no avail

#12 2019-12-09 07:00:35

rod barbee
Website

If your ftp program is set to overwrite, then uploading those files where files with the same name exist will work.

Can you provide the url to the site you’re working on?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2019-12-09 07:02:57

rod barbee
Website

Is the site you’re working on in a sub directory?
If so, see: http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … 510#p62510

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2019-12-09 07:56:49

5Michael5

Lookonline
And no, the backlight and the galleries directories are boot in the root, not in any sub.
BTW I tried /backlight/installer which seemed to re-initiate the install process, but then ended in yet another error

#15 2019-12-09 08:45:49

Ben

What error did it end in?

#16 2019-12-09 09:44:54

rod barbee
Website

this:

@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Alegreya+Sans:500,500i,700,700i');

looks like it's been incorrectly added to the <head> tag. Did you try add this with phplugins?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2019-12-09 21:49:09

5Michael5

Ben: the message disappeared too quickly!
Rod: I have no business with php plugins, and since the mess was getting worse, I have had to revert back to the previous Backlight version before my provider shifts the backup chain. Now that I am back for the 3rd time, I would guess the crazy @import url has something to do with my audacity to choose a non-standard font type when I setup the website years ago.

In short, for now, after two days of trying, there is no other option than for me to try all over again to update.

#18 2019-12-09 22:17:16

5Michael5

And now.... for something completely different wink

Started all over again. This time, the home page shows up in Backlight2 and so does the contact page.

BUT when clicking on the galleries, this shows up:

Warning: require_once(./../backlight/framework/Framework.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mnt/web319/a0/86/51760386/htdocs/lookonline/galleries/lib.php on line 48 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required './../backlight/framework/Framework.php' (include_path='.:/opt/RZphp71/includes') in /mnt/web319/a0/86/51760386/htdocs/lookonline/galleries/lib.php on line 48

#19 2019-12-09 22:28:57

rod barbee
Website

Did you update the album files?
Number 5 on the update instructions
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … acklight_2

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2019-12-10 07:29:41

5Michael5

Oops, my fault. And indeed, now it seems to work. So thanks so far!

From what I see when comparing one of my other Backlight sites, I seem to be missing even the default Pangolin templates.
I only seem to have Okapi versions now...

Also, I would like to use some custom templates I made on another (Backlight2) site on the one I now have updated to BL2.
Is there a way to do this in a practical manner or do I have to first export each one on the other site where it was made, and then import them one by one on the updated site?

#21 2019-12-10 08:13:53

rod barbee
Website

From what I see when comparing one of my other Backlight sites, I seem to be missing even the default Pangolin templates.
I only seem to have Okapi versions now...

There is a Default Page template of Type: Pangolin Page under Designer > Templates

Also, I would like to use some custom templates I made on another (Backlight2) site on the one I now have updated to BL2.
Is there a way to do this in a practical manner or do I have to first export each one on the other site where it was made, and then import them one by one on the updated site?

You'll need to export and import individually.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer