Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-23 12:06:09

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

What changes did Backlight 2 upgrade make concerning .php

I have been struggling with a problem that I assumed I caused with a .htaccess file in the photos-for-download folder.  After working with the hosting provider I learned that the .htaccess files were not created by me.  More important, I learned that at the same time all the .htaccess files were created, a download.php, index.php, lib.php, single.php was also created.  All the files in all the folders have a time stamp of Nov 15, 2019 1:34 PM.

This would lead me to believe they were created by the Lightroom & Backlight software.

Any clues why the .htaccess files were added to the photos-for-download folder?  Better still, how can I remove them?  They are preventing my users from downloading photos.

Richard

#2 2019-11-23 12:20:58

Ben

Re: What changes did Backlight 2 upgrade make concerning .php

Hi Richard, All files and director is in your photos folders are created by Backlight. .htaccess files are used to prevent direct access to files. Unfortunately that causes mobile users to be unable to download photos-for-download renditions.. Is it the case that those users are using mobile devices?
We have a fix for this in development that should be put in the next week or so. In the mean time, can you try changing your settings in Designer to use the ‘photos’ rendition instead.

#3 2019-11-23 15:03:25

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Ben.  Thank you for letting me know that I am not completely crazy.  Yes.  You have hit it directly on the nose.  Except that it is a new change, on my websites that have not been updated in the last month, they can still download photos using mobile devices.  Once I edit the site, it adds the .htaccess file to prevent download. 

I cannot use the photos rendition because the whole point of the download is to get the full size original.

I am so excited that there will be a fix.  I now have hundreds of albums that now prevent direct access to the files.  Also, thanks again for the quick reply!
Richard

#4 2019-11-23 16:12:48

Ben

Hi Richard, we've released an update that addresses this for Pangolin Album.  Is that the module you are using?  To apply the update visit Backlight Modules and click the update modules button at the bottom of the page.

#5 2019-11-24 00:37:44

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Yes, I use that.

#6 2019-11-24 01:11:07

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Ben and Matthew, I updated the modules and while that makes a change it does not solve the problem. 

Now when the user clicks the download icon they get the page "https://galleries.myrivercreek.com/gall … &mode=view" instead of the file being downloaded to their device. 

On top of that, if they click the image and try the option of "save image as" they get this as the file name and type "download.jfif" when they should get the file name RAZ_7075.jpg.

In short, the download link no longer works as it did a month ago. 

One other observation.  On my android at least, if I tell Chrome to use the "Desktop site" everything works as it used to even with the new update. 

Richard

Last edited by r_zulewski@hotmail.com (2019-11-24 01:18:13)

#7 2019-11-24 06:52:37

Matthew
Administrator
Website

As I've explained elsewhere, mobile devices are largely unable to save files in the same way as a desktop machine. This is maybe changed in iOS13, but that doesn't help anyone on older OSes, or on Android devices.

Our desired behavior on mobile is that the image opens in a separate browser tab. There, the user should be able to save the image in whatever way is native to their device.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#8 2019-11-24 07:00:15

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Ben and Matthew,

Okay, just now I clicked the option to update the Backlight Index Files.  Afterwards I noticed all the problem .htaccess files in my albums have new timestamps.  That is what is has broken all my albums.  It creates the empty index.html and  [deleted by Ben] .htaccess file with the two settings:

Deny from all
Options All -Indexes

If I delete the  [deleted by Ben] .htaccess file my albums go back to working the way they did a month ago.  How do I make it either delete all those .htaccess files or at least put the correct settings?

Richard

#9 2019-11-24 07:21:19

Ben

Richard, we're taking time out of our weekends to fix this.  Clearly this is not a straightforward problem to solve.  Those .htaccess files that you curse are part of a system that makes your site possible and aren't put in there for the sake of it.  Be polite.

Unless we've missed something, removing the .htaccess file won't restore the types of links returned to mobile devices.  Are you suggesting that with the .htaccess files intact that you're still getting the forbidden error?

#10 2019-11-24 08:00:46

r_zulewski@hotmail.com
Website

Hello Ben, please accept my apologies if I have been impolite in any of my communications.  I did not mean to be impolite and certainly appreciate the efforts you extend to assist with this problem.

With the .12 update mobile users are no longer able to download the jpg files. 

I have one working website because I did not get around to updating the files.  It is still running the pangolin-album    2.0.10 not 2.0.11.  And of course it has not been upgraded to any of the .12 modules.  My guess, is that the changes in 2.0.11 caused the problem.

It works like all my sites used to work before the upgrade.  None of the photos-for-downloads folders have either an .htaccess or index.html file in them.  The site is https://mattituckclassof69.com/  On my cellphone I can go to any of the folders and download the images. 

Except for some color changes I tried to make the myrivercreek.com and mattituckclassof69.com websites identical.

If it would help and make your work easier, I am happy to give you Backlight access to the websites.  Just tell me what you need.  Or if it would be easier send me an email and I will call or provide my cell phone.
Richard

#11 2019-11-24 08:42:21

rod barbee
Website

r_zulewski@hotmail.com wrote:

With the .12 update mobile users are no longer able to download the jpg files.

how are they trying to download it?

from Matt's response above:

Our desired behavior on mobile is that the image opens in a separate browser tab. There, the user should be able to save the image in whatever way is native to their device.

on my iPhone I can simply tap and hold on the image until the operating system's options popped up, one of which is to save the image.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer