Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-13 00:50:38

pideja

Using the inspector

In Chrome, I use the inspector to try to figure out styling decisions, find mistakes or identify selectors, etc...

Why can't changes made in the inspector register and apply to the CSS or HTML code? I know this is neophyte question but it bothers me that I make changes in the inspector, they apply as long as I don't refresh the page. The latter then resumes the previous settings. And then, I have a hard time finding the correct settings to change in Backlight or the CSS file.

Example: in https://pideja.ca/contact/, the word CONTACT and the whole contact form are too high on the page. In the inspector, I find that by adding a value of 150 either to the padding or the margin, I get to the correct position. As soon as I refresh the page, I'm back to the original position.

#2 2019-11-13 00:59:07

rod barbee
Website

Re: Using the inspector

Any changes you make in the inspector are shown only to you. If others are visiting the same page at the same time they will not see what you do.
And any changes you make are not saved to any files. If you refresh the page you’re also refreshing the application of all css and other files. that’s just the way it works.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-11-13 01:17:40

pideja

I thought so...

So, I guess that after using the inspector, I'll have to fumble around Backlight and/or the CSS in order to apply changes I saw in the inspector.

#4 2019-11-13 01:45:51

rod barbee
Website

Here's what I do.
In the inspector I find the changes I think I need to make.
Still in the inspector, I click on the Style Editor in Firefox and then click on my custom css file (Click Sources in Chrome and navigate to your custom css file)

I then add the css I came up with to the end of my custom css to see if it will work when I add it to the actual file.

If it does, I copy and paste it into my custom css on my pc and then upload the file to /backlight/custom/css/ on the server.

more on doing this here: https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … ustom-css/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer