Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-28 07:14:04

gary_in_austin

Add Photos-> error: Upload failed

I'm trying to add photos to a gallery and some upload fine and some fail.

I've tried dragging and dropping, and by browsing to upload, and have tried single photos and multiple photos.
I'm not sure what the uploader error is, no other info is given but it looks like it gets up to 99% when it fails.

Photos are between 17-25mb and normally the uploader always works until today.
I saw lots of the TTG items have updates and I installed them just now but the error still happens.

Possibly a few of my photos are corrupted but Photoshop and Capture One Pro open them.
I've tried saving new jpg versions of them. Also removed all EXIF data using using a program called "Photos Exif Editor" for Mac.

The server host is HosGator. And I'm using PHP 7.1 and browsers are Safari 12.1.2 and Firefox 68.01. Mac Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and all of this has not changed from weeks ago when there were no issues so I'm not quite sure why photo uploads fail.
I've cleared the TTG templates cache constantly.

Here's a link to the gallery, and 3 of the 7 photos are successful.
http://www.garybrackin.com/galleries/tw … july-2019/
Any suggestions or issues anybody sees here? -Thanks!
..gary

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2019-07-28 08:04:23)

#2 2019-07-28 07:59:49

gary_in_austin

Re: Add Photos-> error: Upload failed

Ah, ha.
-Looks like either the photos dimensions or the mb size is causing the error.
Cause when I save those same photos as 72 dpi with all EXIF metadata, -all 7 of 7 photos upload successfully.
I took the big photos, made copies at 72 dpi, and they do fine uploaded in another gallery
http://www.garybrackin.com/galleries/tw … oads-work/

So, what should I be looking for as as far as staying below the max ceiling on uploads?
As far as my server goes, I think what I'm doing is fine.
And as for my TTG default template, it should be downsampling whatever I upload that's too big. And I think Backlight is working correctly. ..just maybe something I'm doing wrong. ..This is a new camera to me by the way and my first test uploading with it. Nikon z7, 300 dpi, most cropped smaller to 9"x12"

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2019-07-28 08:01:46)

#3 2019-07-28 08:48:19

gary_in_austin

Problem Solved!

Yup, the file size mb or the screen dimensions were causing these photo uploads to fail.
When I kept the dpi at the same 300dpi but scaled the height down to a reasonable 2048 pixels high, everything uploads just fine.

It's a lot to ingest full-res and choking the upload.
So, when I need these big images to be downloadable, I'll just make a 2nd version and make a link manually and paste that markup html (or markdown) link manually in the text copy area.

Is there documentation somewhere that describes the max that the Backlight publisher upload can take. I'm sure I have it noted somewhere but don't know the specifics.

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2019-07-28 08:50:32)

#4 2019-07-28 10:10:00

rod barbee
Website

The max upload file size may have more to do with limits set by the php.ini file on the server.
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … 454#p43454

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2019-07-28 11:08:00

gary_in_austin

Yea, I had read that info earlier today and have made some changes to my php.ini and it's been a while since I uploaded to my site.
It's nice getting back into all the little nuances and customization that can be had with Backlight.
Thanks for your suggestion, Rod. Helpful as always!

#6 2019-07-28 19:37:09

Ben

As Rod mentioned, you may be exceeding the upload_max_filesize.  Another limit that may be exceeded is the memory_limit.  This is the amount of memory allowed per request.  It's quite likely that the resizing algorithm used on the server needs to store the full uncompressed bitmap of your upload during the resize process.  A third limit could be the max_execution_time.  If your large uploads exceed that amount of time during upload and processing then the connection can be lost.

Are you exporting images on your PC especially for uploading through Backlight?  If so, you probably don't need such large images.  Consider the largest image size made available in your template, and upload files that are at least as large as those, in high quality.

#7 2019-07-28 21:10:37

gary_in_austin

I was actually curious about those three variables on my server, Ben. There are so many choices on server php.ini files that I didn't know what to mess with. And you're right, Ben. I'm uploading full-res  300dpi 9"x12" photos through Backlight and don't really need that much for viewing online.

I was doing it for print and download delivery to clients. It may be too much and for that. I'll make a zip folder and make a link to download or maybe buy TTG Cart and see what I can come up with there. I don't really need to be forcing Backlight to do all the resizing of originals. I'll get them closer to the template size and that will be great. Using the larger images, I do get the larger thumbnails and I do like that. -Thanks Ben for the details. You're always right on.
..gary

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2019-07-28 21:13:16)

Board footer