Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-29 20:51:56

jstephens576

Page not saving

Hello
I installed Backlight 2 and all appears to be working fine except I created a new page last night. It appeared to saved successfully, but I received the following message when I went to view in browser.

The requested URL /named-gallery/Site2_Temp/ was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache Server at www.named-gallery.com Port 80

The page file was not in the bluehost directory.  Site is named-gallery.com -The page I tried to create is in Designer as Site2_Temp.

FYI -  I have requested assistance from Bluehost on an unrelated sub domain wordpress site that is not displaying images where we completely uninstalled and re-installed wordpress. The site is still not displaying images.

Can you help please
Thanks

Last edited by jstephens576 (2019-05-30 10:33:04)

#2 2019-05-29 21:08:57

rod barbee
Website

Re: Page not saving

The named-gallery site is a WordPress site?
Is Backlight installed in the root of the site along with WordPress?

If that is your setup, then you’re using WordPress as the base of you’re site and Backlight cannot be used to create pages (this is because Backlight’s index.php file is needed to create Backlight pages but WordPress requires its index.pho file for WordPress to work—the two can’t co-exist). Create pages with WordPress instead.

Also, you won’t see any Backlight created pages in your site’s folder structure. This is because like WordPress, pages are “created” as needed.

If you can give us a better idea of your setup, maybe a screen shot of your folder structure, we can better advise you.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-05-29 21:26:42

jstephens576

Here is the structure
public_html
-- named-gallery
-------backlight only
-- site2
------wp install
------backlight

- I can post the screen shot later today - Wordpress is installed in the sub domain. Bluehost said their issue was the .htaccess file. I admit I have limited knowledge on that setup.
Thanks
Jeanne

Last edited by jstephens576 (2019-05-30 10:35:58)

#4 2019-05-29 22:00:46

rod barbee
Website

going to http://www.your-site.com/ I see a non-Backlight page already there

It looks like you're installing Backlight in a sub-folder named stephens-gallery.

I can go here and see the Backlight login screen: http://www.your-site.com/your-gallery/backlight/

Are you creating a site (or perhaps a development site) at  http://www.your-site.com/your-gallery/ ?

If so, have you uploaded the index.php and .htaccess files from the root of the unzipped Backight-Installer folder to the your-gallery/ folder?

the folder structure on the server should look like this if you're intending on installing Backlight in the your-gallery subfolder:

public_html
       your-gallery/
                   index.php
                   .htaccess
                   backlight/
                   galleries/

and to reach the site you would go to: http://www.your-site.com/your-gallery/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-05-30 06:30:05

jstephens576

Thanks Rod
Here is a bit more explanation of where I am today and what I hope to do for the future.

First - named-gallery is the main domain. You are correct - backlight is installed in named-gallery/public_html/named-gallery/ . The site is currently built with Muse but links to backlight galleries (you may need to click through a few levels to see - travel —> Peru —> albums). I would like to convert from Muse to backlight for the site build. No more Muse that adobe will discontinue support on. Lightroom publishing to backlight has been easy and I would like to continue. 

Second - Site2 is a sub-domain of named-gallery located in named-gallery/public_html/Site2/.  Plans for this site was to use Wordpress as illustrated in Matthews introductory YouTube video - just using the blog. I would like to create the theme for WP with several page options. I was trying to create a sample page in my original site because of issue with the bluehost WP install. They indicated my issue was the .htaccess file but did not say why.

I hope this clarifies the direction I would like to go and hopefully my structure will support both. You advice is welcome.
Thanks

Last edited by jstephens576 (2019-05-30 10:38:17)

#6 2019-05-30 07:10:32

rod barbee
Website

Your main site is in the public_html folder.

If you are to make your main site a Backlight-based site, then eventually you'll need to install Backlight directly in the public_html folder.

You currently have Backlight installed in the your-gallery/ folder, which is fine if all you plan on using Backlight for is album sets and albums.

It looks to me that currently, the your-gallery/ folder does not contain the needed files for Backlight to create pages. That would be the index.php and .htaccess files that are in the root of the unzipped Backlight-Installer folder.
You do, however, have an index.html file inside of the your-gallery/ folder. This will likely cause a conflict.

So if you're planning on replacing the Muse created site with a Backlight created site, you'll need to get rid of a few things in the public_html folder. Mainly any index.php or index.html files. You'll also need to replace any existing .htaccess files with the one supplied with Backlight.
You'll then need to upload the backlight/ folder directly into the public_html folder.

You don't need to do this right away. You can carry on with Backlight installed in the your-gallery/ folder if you want to use that folder to develop the new site before replacing the old.
(But if you need to keep that folder the way it is for now, you could create a testing/development folder and install Backlight there to work out site design etc.)

The problem with trying to do anything in that your-gallery/ folder is that there is an index.html, contact.html, families.html, around-home.html, travel.html, and about.html files. Probably other things too. I think you'll have a frustrating time if you try to mix Backlight with other stuff.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-05-30 10:34:17

jstephens576

Thanks Rod
I’ll evaluate these options and get back with the forum if I have further questions. Can we edit my site name to generic for privacy reasons?
Thanks Jeanne

Last edited by jstephens576 (2019-05-30 10:35:16)

#8 2019-05-30 20:59:18

rod barbee
Website

jstephens576 wrote:

Thanks Rod
I’ll evaluate these options and get back with the forum if I have further questions. Can we edit my site name to generic for privacy reasons?
Thanks Jeanne

Sure. I’ve change it in my posts above.
But without a link to your site, it will be more difficult for the forum to help.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2019-05-30 21:25:56

jstephens576

Thanks - I appreciate the help. I will update with link when I figure out which option and need additional help. First I will take your advice and create a test folder and try a few things.
Jeanne

#10 2019-07-01 01:23:02

jstephens576

Hello
Okay - I gave the functional rebuild another try and am almost there to start adding content. My intent is to use backlight for my pages and wordpress for a blog (or library the sub-folder it is installed in). I have the site navigation working as I want - backlight pages for everything but the Library which is wordpress.

My problem is that the backlight gallery (published from lightroom) is showing the infamous box with a blue question mark. From all that I have learned, this looks like the htaccess file overwriting folder permissions. I admit - I am not educated on the htaccess code. Can you assist?

Thanks for your help.
Jeanne

Last edited by jstephens576 (2019-07-02 21:38:02)

#11 2019-07-01 01:31:03

rod barbee
Website

Is Backlight up to date?
Are you using the latest Publisher plugin?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-07-01 01:36:53

jstephens576

Yes - reinstalled this weekend (including LR publisher. Admin module shows 2.09 and all show current.

The error I get "Requested content cannot be loaded. Please try again later."

#13 2019-07-01 01:40:09

jstephens576

Clue?

This is in the error log ... [29-Jun-2019 20:34:48 America/Chicago] PHP Warning:  Version warning: Imagick was compiled against Image Magick version 1657 but version 1650 is loaded. Imagick will run but may behave surprisingly in Unknown on line 0

#14 2019-07-01 02:30:22

rod barbee
Website

found this by searching the forum for Imagick. Maybe it will help
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=9947

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2019-07-01 02:32:17

jstephens576

Arrghh! I was afraid of that... Bluehost support is maddening! 
Thanks anyway.

#16 2019-07-01 05:10:38

jstephens576

So after getting no where with Bluehost. I completely erased and reinstalled backlight, put up one page and published a few albums. No error message about Image Magick. Now I see no pictures and get the message "The requested content cannot be loaded. Please try again later."   The logo is displayed (from the admin uploaded images). I have the backlight 2 galleries installed but plan on using lightroom so I have the LR templates on the page.

Please help direct me to fix....
Thanks

#17 2019-07-01 05:18:53

rod barbee
Website

LR templates? There are no Lightroom templates in Backlight. The only thing Lightroom does is use the Publisher plug-in, and that's optional.

have you tried publishing from Lightroom?

If you continue to have problems, I suggest emailing Ben with a link to this topic as well as Backlight Admin and FTP credentials.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2019-07-01 05:31:59

jstephens576

Sorry if I referred to them wrong. I meant the published albums and sets, not the ones that are stand alone backlight. Yes - reinstalled the plug in and published. I'll take your advise and email Ben. I've tried everything I know.
Thanks
jeanne

#19 2019-07-02 21:37:33

jstephens576

Closing the post with resolution found by Ben -
"The .htaccess file within the public_html directory had a rule that effectively made jpg and jpeg files unavailable:
     RewriteRule .*\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|bmp|pdf|mobi|epub)$ - [F,NC]
I've edited that file and changed that rule to the following, and it now works:
     RewriteRule .*\.(gif|png|bmp|pdf|mobi|epub)$ - [F,NC]"

I don’t know why such a broad limiting rule was put in place but thankful Ben found it.
Jeanne

#20 2019-07-02 21:47:24

rod barbee
Website

smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer