Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-02 03:17:00

theomolenaar

Wordpress Menu to show in Backlight

On my CE4 site the menu was Wordpress driven, only the galleries were CE4. I try to do something similar. I have converted my albums from CE4. Headers et. etc. need some customization, as do templets, but i'll get there. I also installed wordpress.

And the theme worked. However the Wordpress and the Backlight pages have their own menu. I found the issue how to get the BL menu into wordpress, but that is not what I want, because I have no idea how to link wordpress pages to the BL menu.

Copying the menu is also not a good option I guess, because I do not know how to navigate from WP to BL vv...

There used to be some php doing the trick. However I cannot find any documentation about it in BL

#2 2019-06-02 03:20:48

theomolenaar

Re: Wordpress Menu to show in Backlight

Converted CE44: http://www.theomolenaar.nl/destinations/

Home goes to Wordpress

#3 2019-06-02 03:42:51

rod barbee
Website

there is no document on how to do this in Backlight.

If you're familiar with WordPress and php, you might be able to modify the CE4 documentation to work with Backlight phplugins.
The hooks in Backlight are different than they are in CE4 and the phplugins file itself is a little different too.
See this on Backlight phplugins: http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8966

Otherwise, perhaps someone else has already done this and will chime in.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2019-06-02 06:15:25

JimR
Website

@theomolenaar, not sure I'm following your question. My site is WordPress (for all pages) and BackLight (for all photo presentations). I have uniform menus in both the WordPress and BackLight pages.

In WP, I added the BL menus as custom links in Appearance > Menus

In BL, I added the WP menus in Designer > Menu Set

No need for php to do that. I must be misunderstanding your question.

Also, I getting confused by what is the Home page. Sometimes it's www.theomolenaar.nl but sometimes it's www.theomolenaar.nl/home

The logo at the top (in the masthead) is the root domain, but the Home menu isn't. Those should be the same location.

I think that's the inconsistency of the WP and BL set of menus. But I'm not sure which pages belong to WP and which are part of BL.

--Jim

#5 2019-06-02 07:39:57

Daniel Leu
Website

theomolenaar wrote:

And the theme worked. However the Wordpress and the Backlight pages have their own menu. I found the issue how to get the BL menu into wordpress, but that is not what I want, because I have no idea how to link wordpress pages to the BL menu.

If you want to add links in your backlight menu to pages powered by wordpress, you would use the URL option. Just create a link to '/homes/my-wordpress-page-1', etc. I think that this would be the easiest to have one common menu for your Wordpress and Backlight installation. This should work well as long as you not plan to change Wordpress pages frequently.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#6 2019-06-03 05:32:51

theomolenaar

Thanxs

If I have two sets of menu's I will have to maintain them both and make sure the go to mobile on the same size etc. And I have to do the correct linking for both. Wordpress made me choose a page as homepage, so I'll have to work that out. I guess I am going to try Daniels suggestion first.

#7 2019-06-03 06:02:27

theomolenaar

Jim

You got an interesting point as to the home pages. Even without a WP menu i'll still get a homepage with 'last posts'. A page that is not there. But it is in WP. I can choose between a static page and postst cannot turn it of.

I also had a quick look at several BL sites as presented on the forum. And most of them have an url and when you choose 'home' a page /home   with the same content. Also Rod's site. Not sure how that is caused.

Guess I have to study a bit further.

Last edited by theomolenaar (2019-06-03 06:23:12)

#8 2019-06-03 06:13:47

rod barbee
Website

It looks like your site is a WordPress-based site, correct? If so, then it makes sense that http://www.theomolenaar.nl/ goes to a WordPress page

http://www.theomolenaar.nl/home/ is also a WordPress created page

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#9 2019-08-16 05:05:12

theomolenaar

I have solved most of my problems.

For the record: When you do not implement a wordpress menu, the BL menu is the one shown. Even if the home-page is made with wordpress. I had duplicated the page names of the wordpress pages in BL and put those empty pages in the menu. That worked. However I have now deleted all those pages and did links (eg ../koop/). And that worked.

I have no pages, Two menu choices go to album sets. If a page is created that does not exist in WP and linked in the menu that page is shown..

Works pretty well if you know how.

Last edited by theomolenaar (2019-08-16 20:31:57)

Board footer