Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-16 09:33:21

Sam Sampson

Backlight 2 & MAMP

Hi,

Looking to design a new website in Backlight 2 and as my host is running an old php container 5.2, I will be transitioned to a newer container running php 7.2 or 7.3 in a week or so. As I've designed TTG CE3 websites in a local host MAMP before, I was wondering whether I can work on my site locally before uploading via FTP to server once the php has been updated? I was also wondering when setting up Backlight 2 in MAMP (local host vs online host) do I use the same installation process as shown in Matt's video?

Cheers
Sam

#2 2019-05-16 12:54:13

rod barbee
Website

Re: Backlight 2 & MAMP

I tried this with WAMP some time ago. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty straight forward installation.

I didn’t try uploading but I imagine it would be just like developing in a test subdomain, and either moving it or downloading to the pc and then uploading to main site.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-05-16 13:45:22

Sam Sampson

Thanks Rod, Once i've developed the site on the local host (MAMP), with Backlight 2 installed, would I then need to install the Backlight 2 software onto the main site and move the files over, or could I drop the files over and they would retain all of the installation details?

Sam

#4 2019-05-16 13:56:35

Ben

Backlight was developed under MAMP, and installation should work without issue.
Whether you can just copy a site to your server depends on how permissions are handled. Backlight creates and changes files under backlight/data and galleries directories. If those files are given ownership of the web server then you may run into permission problems after uploading those working files. They’ll be owned by your FTP user and then Backlight won’t be able to make changes to them as Backlight will be trying to access them as the web server user.
You can see whether this is the case by installing on your web server and seeing who is marked as the owner of files under backlight/data within your FTP program. If those files are owned by the same user as the backlight directory itself, then you should be fine to sync your local site via FTP.

#5 2019-05-16 17:34:56

Sam Sampson

Thanks Ben, I appreciate the extra details. If I do run into permission issues, what would you suggest? As you may have read, my web-host won't transition my site to a newer container running php 7.2 or 7.3 for a week or so, and I'd like to start putting the site together. MAMP is my preferred local host which I'm familiar with, but don't want to complicate the process if transferring the site is a major headache. I guess the one installation on MAMP is all I need, rather than installing Backlight 2 on the web server before copying over?

Thanks again, hoping to understand the basics before getting in over my head.

Sam

#6 2019-05-17 02:33:06

Daniel Leu
Website

Sam Sampson wrote:

Thanks Ben, I appreciate the extra details. If I do run into permission issues, what would you suggest? As you may have read, my web-host won't transition my site to a newer container running php 7.2 or 7.3 for a week or so, and I'd like to start putting the site together. MAMP is my preferred local host which I'm familiar with, but don't want to complicate the process if transferring the site is a major headache. I guess the one installation on MAMP is all I need, rather than installing Backlight 2 on the web server before copying over?

Thanks again, hoping to understand the basics before getting in over my head.

Sam

You always can export the page templates from your MAMP hosted site and import them in your new host. So I would go ahead and use Backlight on your MAMP installation. This way you can get familiar with all the bells and whistles.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#7 2019-05-17 10:02:54

Sam Sampson

Thanks Daniel, I'm guessing one installation of Backlight 2 on the MAMP host is all I need? Would I need to do a new install on the new host for the exported files to be compatible?

Sam

#8 2019-05-17 10:14:16

Daniel Leu
Website

1) Yeah, just install BL2 and have fun. I have one installation on my MAMP and it works well.

2) Yes, you would do another install on the new host and import the previously exported templates.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#9 2019-05-17 10:31:45

Sam Sampson

Daniel, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Looking inside the Backlight 2 installer, when it's up and running where are the page templates located? Or would I copy over the the Backlight 2 folder and the Galleries folder to complete the transfer?

Sam

#10 2019-05-17 11:33:10

Daniel Leu
Website

There is something called documentation wink

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#11 2019-05-17 14:22:12

Sam Sampson

Thanks for the link Daniel...and your previous posts.

Cheers
Sam

http://www.samsampson.co.nz/

#12 2019-05-18 01:19:08

Daniel Leu
Website

smile Have fun playing with Backlight. It is a so much better experience than with CE3.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#13 2019-05-23 13:40:53

Sam Sampson

After installing 'Backlight 2' with Matt's informative video onto MAMP, I logged in with username: 'admin', password: 'ttg8888'. I was wondering whether this is the permanent log-in for the admin, or if there is a place I can personalize both in the Admin panel?

I logged out, and found I couldn't get back in, so had to reinstall the software. I'm a little wary of logging out in case it rejects my admin password.

Any ideas?
Sam

#14 2019-05-23 15:11:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Sam Sampson wrote:

After installing 'Backlight 2' with Matt's informative video onto MAMP, I logged in with username: 'admin', password: 'ttg8888'. I was wondering whether this is the permanent log-in for the admin, or if there is a place I can personalize both in the Admin panel?

I logged out, and found I couldn't get back in, so had to reinstall the software. I'm a little wary of logging out in case it rejects my admin password.

Any ideas?
Sam

On first login, you should have completed the Quick Setup, which requires you to set a new password. Your login thereafter would be "admin" and your own password.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#15 2019-05-23 15:15:35

Daniel Leu
Website

Sam Sampson wrote:

Any ideas?
Sam

Yes, you definitely should set your own password: Admin > Users > Administrators. If you can't log in, you can reset the password via email.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#16 2019-05-23 15:27:41

Sam Sampson

Many thanks Matt & Daniel. Daniel actually pointed me in the right direction. Maybe with MAMP it doesn't give me a secondary 'Quick Setup' step...but I was able to change it through the Admin > Users > Administrators, as Daniel pointed out.

All good,

Cheers
Sam

http://www.samsampson.co.nz/

#17 2019-05-23 20:37:13

Ben

Sam Sampson wrote:

Maybe with MAMP it doesn't give me a secondary 'Quick Setup' step...

I have a nagging suspicion that there is a scenario that prevents the Quick Setup page from appearing. Too many customer requests of late mention their admin passwords still being the default.
I haven't seen this myself - the Quick Setup always shows for me on first login, including in MAMP installations.

#18 2019-05-27 09:48:14

Sam Sampson

All installed as Matt's video and just getting to grips with the initial set-up. The Home Page displays, but when I go to visit the 'About' page, and 'Contact' page, 'they are not found on this server'. The 'Galleries' page and 'Search' pages are fine. Do I need to activate these default pages as menu items?

I've searched the documentation but it seemed to me they displayed by default. Sorry to be missing such a simple step in the set-up.

Any ideas?

Sam

#19 2019-05-27 09:56:06

rod barbee
Website

You need to create About and Contact pages. They are not made by default, though the default menu does have those links.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2019-06-10 12:43:41

Sam Sampson

Having a few problems setting up an album in Backlight 2 through MAMP. The default for MAMP is local host:8888 and after creating an album through publisher the images are not found. I'm thinking maybe I should change the url to the local host in the admin and then change to my domain name url when I upload to my server? Not sure, but it's frustrating not being able to see images published through the Backlight 2 module.

Sam

#21 2019-06-10 13:42:09

rod barbee
Website

The url in Backlight Admin should match the main part of the API url in Lightroom. The only difference being is the addition of /backlight/publisher/ to the API url in Lightroom.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer