Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-12 12:58:33

DennisKeyes

Menu items and albums appearing in unwanted locations.

This seems very complicated to me.  I don't know how to proceed.  I will try to be clear.
BL2 and LRPub have a Galleries top level gallery built in.  When I create album sets or albums, in LRPub they all appear as a submenu under Galleries in my BL2 site.  I don't want some of them to do that.  I want some of them to appear only in subfolders under a menu item I created in my BL2 site called Services.  The Services menu item on my site contains 9 pages, each of which may have copy, images and links.  That function seems to work fine.  When I design one of those pages, for example, Affordable Frames, under services, I enter copy, write Markdown to link to an image to display, and insert an album or album set.  The problem arises when I create an album or album set in LRPub intended for one of the Services pages. The album set for Services appears as a submenu item in my BL2 site under Galleries and when an album is clicked in that menu set, it goes to a page with only the album and not the copy and images.
Is the solution to create a new top level gallery for services?  Will it appear in LRPub in some way to distinguish it from the top level gallery, Galleries, since Galleries does not appear in LRPub and every album or album set I create goes into it and is listed under Galleries in my BL2 site?   
I thought that a solution might be creating an album set, Services, in LRPub but that has led to the problem I described above.  I am probably missing something very simple.  Please help!!
Link to my site:   
http://denniskeyesphotography.com/backl … galleries/

If anyone is looking around, you may notice an album called  "Home Slide Show" as a submenu item and a slide show under my galleries tab.  I don't want it there.  I want it only as a looping slide show on my home page.  I will hope to accomplish that with the theater add on when I get to it.  For now, it just serves as another example of how an album created in LRPub gets its own menu item under Galleries on my BL2 site.
Link to my old site with the home page slide show I want to duplicate:
http://denniskeyesphotography.com/

#2 2019-04-12 13:48:59

rod barbee
Website

Re: Menu items and albums appearing in unwanted locations.

If I’m reading this right, you could Just hide the albums or sets as needed. Look under the Features tab in an album or set.

When you’re logged into Backlight you’ll still see these sets and albums. They’ll have an icon attached that indicates they are hidden to regular visitors.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-04-13 20:54:15

DennisKeyes

I don't think I made myself clear.  I'll try again.
If I hide the album or album set in LRPub as you suggest, it will not be visible on either place where it now appears, those being in subfolders under Galleries and under Services.  I want the album or album set to be visible ONLY under Services, but NOT under Galleries.
In my site,
http://denniskeyesphotography.com/backl … test/home/
if you float over Galleries now, you will see Services as one of the subfolders.  I don't want it there but when I created the album set, Services, in LRPub, it automatically shows up under Galleries in my BL2 site.  Everything in LRPub goes under Galleries in BL2.  That's why I asked about possibly creating a top level gallery, "Services" which would appear in the menu with Home, About, Galleries, etc. but NOT under Galleries. 
When I go to Publisher in BL2, this the only option that appears:

Top-level Galleries
Top-level Galleries are created automatically via the Lightroom Publisher module.

Below that is a menu:

Title    Directory           
Galleries    galleries    Albums    Edit    View

If I create a top level gallery from this menu, will it appear in LRPub on my computer?  Is that a solution to my problem? 

A second approach that may work is one based on your suggestion.  If I create those albums and album sets in LRPub and then hide them under the features tab, will they still be visible in the list of albums available when I click insert album while creating a page?  Or, will they remain hidden because I made them hidden in LRPub? The only options under features in LRPub are public, protected and private.  There is no "hidden" option.

One more thought....  Is what I am trying to accomplish something that was considered and built into BL2, or is it not even possible?

#4 2019-04-13 22:05:53

rod barbee
Website

Under the Features tab is a checkbox “Hide album from album set”
And directly under that is another box to “Hide album from search”

hide-from-set-bl2.png

If you hide an album from the album set it will still be available to insert into pages.

If an album is hidden, then I don’t think it will appear if you add it’s set as a menu item.

One option for your Services menu is to create another Publisher service in Lightroom and publish your “services” albums to it (this will be a new top level gallery). This keeps those album separate from Galleries.
When you add the menu item, andit as an album set and choose your Services album set. The Services album set would then be your Services Page.

Another option is to create a Services page and then publish those albums meant for the Services menu to Galleries but then hide them.
To add them to the Services sub-menu, set the Services menu to link to the page (your Services Page).
For the sub-menu items that are albums, use Link to: URL and enter the url of the album.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2019-04-15 05:33:35

DennisKeyes

Wow!  It get complicateder and conplicateder!  I will begin one of these approaches tomorrow.  My brain hurts too much today!  Thanks for the advice.  I hope one of these ways works out for me.

#6 2019-04-16 00:39:54

DennisKeyes

I tried combinations of hiding the Services album set and its enclosed albums from the Galleries top level gallery in LRpub  That made one small, unhelpful difference. Services still shows up when I float over Galleries.  But when the albums are hidden, they still show under that Services submenu item but with an eyeball with a slash.
I guess I am ready to try the other approach; to create another publisher service in LR.  I don't know how to do that and I'm not sure that will solve the problem anyway. 
My goals for my website menu:
Home
About
Services
Galleries
Contact
Search

Galleries menu item will have a  submenu of album sets and albums such as:
     Travel
         China
         Mexico

Services menu item will have a submenu of PAGES with copy, images, and albums such as:
    Services
        Architecture
               copy, image, album
        Portraits
               copy, image, album

I have that working BUT, when I create these albums in LRPub not only do they add to the PAGES under services, but they also add to a Services submenu item under Galleries which I do not want.  Hiding the album sets and albums does not cause the Services submenu item under galleries to disappear.  With the outline described above of what I hope to achieve, is there a way to do this . Has anyone else done this?

#7 2019-04-16 00:47:32

DennisKeyes

Perhaps the documentation page for BL2

Publisher
    Settings for albums and album sets

would be helpful.  But it does not exist yet!

#8 2019-04-16 01:01:17

rod barbee
Website

Thanks for the outline of the structure you're going for. That helps.

I tried combinations of hiding the Services album set and its enclosed albums from the Galleries top level gallery in LRpub  That made one small, unhelpful difference. Services still shows up when I float over Galleries.  But when the albums are hidden, they still show under that Services submenu item but with an eyeball with a slash.

This is a feature of Backlight. When you are logged in to Backlight, you will see this . Your visitors will not. (hence the eyeball with the slash)

Probably the best approach for your Services menu item is to not use an album set as the Services page or menu item.

Instead, create a separate Services page if you want an actual Services page. Then in the menu, use Link to: Page and link to the Services page.

If you don't want an actual Services page but instead just the Services item in the menu, then in your menu, create a Services item and for Link to: use non-interactive

The sub-menu items:

Architecture page. When you add the page to the menu, use Link To: Page and choose your Architecture page.
In the Architecture page, add your copy, image and insert an album.

Portraits page: do the same thing as with the Architecture page

For the albums you want to insert, you can just leave them where they are and make sure they are hidden. They won't appear to your visitors in either the Galleries page or in menus.

If you have a Services album set under Galleries, then edit that album set and hide it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2019-04-16 02:13:32

Daniel Leu
Website

As Rod suggested, I would recommend as well to create a separate publishing service for 'services'. When you create the new publishing service, set the 'Top-level galleries directory' to 'services' (or whatever you want to call it).

I did this with my shop page at https://danielleu.com/shop. Currently, I'm hiding all albums. Eventually, each product category will get it's own product page and then I'll be using some type of an thumbnail grid. Greeting cards and wood panels are built using albums. The first one doesn't have an embedded gallery while the later one does. One benefit of this layout is that I can use breadcrumbs and they support navigating the shop.

I think your services page is similar to my shop page and might work well using the same approach.

BTW, the page copy for the top-level gallery can be entered in /backlight/publisher.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#10 2019-04-16 07:34:34

DennisKeyes

I just went back to look into making the suggested changes.  Horrors!  My masthead is present.  My menu is present.  My submenus are present when floating Galleries and Services.  Links to individual galleries are working Under Galleries only, as are the album set and albums.  But the pages are gone from Home, About, Services,  and Contact.  Search works and shows each of these.  But each links to a page under Galleries/Services, not under Services.  When experimenting with hiding, I reset everything back to my original.  What happened?  Top Gallery link?  Template link?  I checked everything I can think of but the pages won't come back!

#11 2019-04-16 07:47:33

rod barbee
Website

It looks like there is no content on the pages in question? But it's really just a guess without looking behind the scenes.
Consider posting Guest Updater credentials so we can take a look at your settings, pages, etc, from the back end.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-04-16 08:29:59

DennisKeyes

The contents is there.  I see it all in BL2.  I am in manage users now.  Here is what I see.  What else do I need to do to give you access?

Edit User
Name
Guest Admin

Status - Enabled

Role - Guest updater

Username

Email

Password

Repeat Password

#13 2019-04-16 08:31:45

rod barbee
Website

post the username and the password
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8122

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2019-04-16 08:44:40

DennisKeyes

The username is: guest
The password is: guestpassword
IU posted those but I am advised that I must also post an email.  Who's email would that be?

#15 2019-04-16 08:49:41

rod barbee
Website

email address doesn't matter. you can put yours or mine or make one up. I think it's just for password recovery

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2019-04-16 08:52:20

DennisKeyes

I entered my own email, drdk84@gmail.com
Should be good to go!

#17 2019-04-16 09:02:36

rod barbee
Website

did you happen to remove either or both the index.php or .htaccess files from the root of the test site?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2019-04-16 09:05:42

rod barbee
Website

I was going to try to clear the template cache but I'm unable to. Can you try that? while you're at it, there are updates available on the Backlight Modules page so you should update.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2019-04-16 09:20:33

rod barbee
Website

I can't tell why your pages aren't displaying. It could have something to do with .htaccess files.

Your menu structure looks good and you're inserting albums in pages where you had indicated you wanted an album to show. The only thing you'll probably want to do is to hide those albums. Or hide the Services album set so it doesn't appear on your Galleries page.

But as to why your pages aren't showing, I don't know, other than to guess that the index.php and/or .htaccess files in the root of the test site are missing or wrong??

I suggest sending Ben an email. Include Backlight Admin credentials along with FTP credentials so he can make sure files are in the right place.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#20 2019-04-16 23:24:23

rod barbee
Website

Another thing I just noticed is that if you click on the masthead, instead of being taken to the index page (your Home page is designated as the Index page), you're taken to:
http://denniskeyesphotography.com/backlight-2-test/
and an error having something to do with gallery.xml is shown. That's...weird.

this leads me to think of index.php and .htaccess.

You could try uploading the latest versions of those two files. Make sure you have the Backlight-2-Installer-107.zip download file. If not, re-download it from either the link in your order email or from the link on the Support page.
Unzip and upload the index.php and .htaccess from the root of the Backlight-2-Installer-107/ folder to the root of the test site.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer