Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-15 03:35:17

Markus FFM

Slow Backlight

Hi there,

I have Backlight installed since some time and set-up my galleries, but actually never published it, since it is so slow.

I read through some topics in this forum also discussing speed problems, but all seem to be different and some never have been solved.

However, in my galleries it takes about 10 seconds to come from one picture to the next, quite exactly always the same, no big difference in speed.

I have the same images in static galleries (the ones actually published) using the old TTG Lightroom plugin. Here it takes only a fraction of a second to browse through the images. So it should be something with PHP, Backlight or between the two.

To compare you can look at the static version https://www.entscheidend-is-aufm-platz. … index.html and the Backlight version: https://www.entscheidend-is-aufm-platz. … 017_03_16/

On my webspace PHP 5.6 is installed. Unfortunately they wrote that SQLite is not available for newer PHP versions, whyever.

I also looked on this http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … e_settings and noticed, that on my webspace the settings are by default already on the values suggested to change to. i.e. PERSIST/OFF.
I did not try to change them instead to the values that are described as default on your help page, did not want to break anything not knowing if this change could be helpful for speed problems at all.
Is it worth a try to change the settings to DELETE/FULL?

Summary:
- Should I try the DELETE/FULL settings for SQLITE?
- Any other idea?

Thanks,
Markus

Last edited by Markus FFM (2019-01-15 03:35:35)

#2 2019-01-15 04:48:01

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Slow Backlight

Looks like there is a performance issue accessing the database. I would suggest to send an email to Ben with your Backlight and FTP logins/passwords and a link to this thread so he can further analyze this.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2019-01-15 15:06:29

Markus
Website

Markus FFM wrote:

Hi there,
ever, in my galleries it takes about 10 seconds to come from one picture to the next, quite exactly always the same, no big difference in speed.

Hello Markus,

I have noticed the same effect since updating to Backlight 2.0.5. I didn't notice that before.

What I noticed yesterday: Lightroom has also become incredibly slow, especially when I want to edit albums or album sets with the Publisher.
the single commands of Lightroom are always executed very time-shifted, so that I press a button twice in places, because I think that nothing has happened yet sad

It also takes an infinite amount of time for the photos to appear in the different folders in the Publisher. And it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 6 or 10 photos. So not really many photos.

Publishing new photos also takes a long time.

Many greetings
Markus

Last edited by Markus (2019-01-15 15:17:47)

#4 2019-01-15 18:57:05

Ben

Markus wrote:

I have noticed the same effect since updating to Backlight 2.0.5. I didn't notice that before.

Hi Markus, I doubt that anything in Backlight 2.0.5 would have affected performance like this.  Who are you hosting with?

Can you share a Backlight admin and provide FTP access via Email so that I can look into this?

#5 2019-01-15 19:36:43

Markus
Website

Ben wrote:

Can you share a Backlight admin and provide FTP access via Email so that I can look into this?

Hi Ben,

The email is on its way

Tanks
Markus

#6 2019-01-18 05:37:42

Ben

An update on the original post, above.  In this case it looks like Strato has performance issues with SQLite.  It takes over four seconds for just one of the database queries, which is about 50 times the time it should take.

#7 2019-02-07 05:55:57

Markus FFM

Markus wrote:
Markus FFM wrote:

Hi there,
ever, in my galleries it takes about 10 seconds to come from one picture to the next, quite exactly always the same, no big difference in speed.

Hello Markus,

What I noticed yesterday: Lightroom has also become incredibly slow, especially when I want to edit albums or album sets with the Publisher.
the single commands of Lightroom are always executed very time-shifted, so that I press a button twice in places, because I think that nothing has happened yet sad

It also takes an infinite amount of time for the photos to appear in the different folders in the Publisher. And it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 6 or 10 photos. So not really many photos.

Publishing new photos also takes a long time.

Many greetings
Markus

No, my Ligthroom has no performance problems, it's just the Backlight application/SQLite.

@Ben
If I want to test the program on a local server, does it work to copy the whole folder where I have installed Backlight to the local server? Are the SQLite data in this folder (I actually have no idea where these data are, an SQL database I could find)?
Thanks,
Markus FFM

Last edited by Markus FFM (2019-02-07 05:56:36)

#8 2019-02-07 06:22:21

Ben

Hi Markus, you should be able to just download the entire backlight directory. The SQLite files reside within subdirectories of backlight/data.

#9 2019-04-11 04:48:54

lema

Hello,

I have a similar problem with Blacklight 2, which takes me 30-50 seconds to build. The galleries and the slideshow are displayed very quickly.  I did an analysis with pingdom.com. The longest time takes the html element.

The link to the website is www.world-traces.com

The site works with php 5.6 with php 7.1 there is no change. It uses http.

The website is quite extensive. Are there limits?

Somebody help me out here.

Thank you

#10 2019-04-11 05:26:21

rod barbee
Website

I'll echo what Daniel suggested in #2 above: try sending an email to Ben with your Backlight admin credentials and perhaps FTP access
(there's a link to Ben's email address in Daniel's post above)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#11 2019-04-11 06:02:21

lema

Thanks, Rod. I'll write an email to Ben.

#12 2019-04-12 07:48:47

Ben

Thanks for the access details.  It looks to me as though your host is just slow in general.  For example, static images are taking far longer than they should.  This image took over 4 seconds to load: http://world-traces.com/f1galleries/f1_ … D-7949.jpg
A similar sized image on my own site (shared hosting at Bluehost) takes about 0.3 seconds to load.

I suggest taking this up with your host.  There may be more load on your server than there should be.  They would need to either provision more capacity, or move you to another physical server.

#13 2019-04-12 16:32:03

lema

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will contact the provider.

LeMa

#14 2019-04-13 01:17:54

lema

Hello Ben,

got the feedback from the provider that the server is OK. He recommended me to optimize the website. Are there any possibilities what I can do. Is it better to split the website into several directories and install BL 2 several times?

LeMa

#15 2019-04-13 07:01:53

Ben

Hi LeMa, that sounds like they didn't look closely at it.  There's nothing that can be optimised in code to fix the slow speed of static files, which I see as an indicator of poor server performance in general.  Backlight is already heavily optimised, using an efficient caching mechanism and cache headers for files.
Backlight should be performant for sites with tens of thousands of photos.  Do you have that many?

Have you removed Backlight from your server?  I can no longer reach it at http://www.world-traces.com/backlight/

#16 2019-04-13 08:49:58

lema

Hello Ben,
I reactivated the page. I also reactivated the access. The access dates are still identical.
Yes, I also have the impression that the provider is not looking at it closely. I think it's not the pictures. It must have something to do with the database. The picture galleries are shown fast also the album sets. I think it is the page views and the generation of the page.

I would have now tried to reduce the pages so that the database is reduced. If this leads to an improvement then create several directories with BL until I can change the provider.

Before I transfer the site to another provider, I want to check everything, because this makes a lot of effort.

I would like to thank you for helping me here.

LeMA

LeMa

#17 2019-04-14 17:17:56

lema

Hello Ben,

I still got a response from the provider. In the logfiles an error appears in the javascript in connection with the gallery.

LeMa

#18 2019-04-15 00:08:02

rod barbee
Website

did they give you specifics. It would be greatly helpful to Ben and Matt if they knew what the error was

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#19 2019-04-15 00:19:12

lema

Unfortunately I do not know any details. the feedback comes from the provider. there are entries in a logfile. I will transfer the page to another host (provider)

LeMa

#20 2019-04-17 01:22:48

lema

I have ported the website ( www.worldtraces.de ) to another provider. Here it runs with very good performance. The problem would then be solved.  What's amazing for me is that the server requirements for BL2 are different than for CE4. I have been able to run them here without any major problems so far.

Again many thanks for the support.

LeMa

Board footer