Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-01 21:45:09

skipper

Contact form and GDPR enabled problem

Hi,

contact form problem:

The contact form is at the very end of my contact page, since all the required (in Europe) privacy stuff is on there, too.

Now, if somebody fills out the contact form and sends it, he will not see the thank you notice, since that is also displayed at the bottom and the page jumps to the top after sending.

Also, if someone makes a mistake filling out the form and clicks send, he will not see the red warning, since the page jumps to the top after sending. So, he/she will think the form was send but it wasn't. Not good.

How can that be solved? Could there be the option, to display the messages on top? Just like with the Cookie notice? Or is there a css/ phplugins way of handling that?

I don't want to move my contact form on top of the page, because then all the legal stuff comes after it.

Request: I would also like the option of a checkbox with a line that "one agrees to the personal data being send", that has to be checked before sending works.

Most sites have that with their contact forms, even though they already do have the GDPR agreement when first visiting the site. There are some lawyers over here, whose business model is crawling sites that may miss some of that and then make easy money suing them.

GDPR enabled problem:

It doesn't show? I have emptied cache of browser, etc., same in Backlight with cache, but when I load the page, nothing comes up?
When I tried that with the cookie option, that one worked. BTW, is backlight using cookies in any form?

Link to the contact page:

http://testsite.petervogel.com/kontakt/

#2 2019-03-01 21:50:57

skipper

Re: Contact form and GDPR enabled problem

PS: Problem 2, GDPR solved itself;-) I thought there would be a popup like with the cookies and didn't realize that it shows on my contact form.

Still, does backlight use cookies?

And the problem with jumping to the top of the page after sending is not solved, meaning messages are not being read.

#3 2019-03-01 23:46:00

rod barbee
Website

after the form is submitted, the text from your Contact Page is still displayed along with the success message at the bottom of the page, replacing the form. But any text you have in the copy area of the contact form does not appear.

If you move your contact page text to the contact form copy area, then you won't have all that text on the success page pushing the success message down the page.

If you want all that text there, the message can be moved using css positioning. jQuery could probably be used too.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2019-03-02 00:37:08

skipper

rod barbee wrote:

If you move your contact page text to the contact form copy area, then you won't have all that text on the success page pushing the success message down the page.

Ok, that looks like a work around and I will test it out. I could also have an extra contact form page, but I wanted to keep it simple stupid;-)

rod barbee wrote:

If you want all that text there, the message can be moved using css positioning. jQuery could probably be used too.

CSS positioning sounds like the way to go. I will google that?

#5 2019-03-02 00:46:18

rod barbee
Website

positioning will take the element out of the document flow and place it where you want it (depending on the position value). Since it's no longer in the document flow, it will sit on top of whatever else is there. It works, but you may find that it looks awkward.

try

#message.success {
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
}

and you'll see what I mean.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-03-02 00:54:46

skipper

I just tried the work around putting all the privacy infos in the main copy of the form.

This works as far as getting the messages displayed, when the checkbox is not checked or other stuff is missing, but you have to scroll down again every time to get to the form again. Not so intuitive.

I try your message.success thing, but I guess it will be similar. Is there also a different one for the message unsuccessful?

Thanks!

#7 2019-03-02 01:45:44

rod barbee
Website

skipper wrote:

Is there also a different one for the message unsuccessful?

Thanks!

I don't think so.

I think it just tells the visitor that the message was sent. The only other messages are the error messages about filling out required fields.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2019-03-02 02:27:17

skipper

Well, I did one with message.error also.

Having the messages displayed on top is ok, it is better for the user than not to see that there are any messages displayed.

To make it easier for the user to get back to the form, I inserted a link after the reply text in the language section that can be clicked to get back down to the form. That seems like an acceptable work around right now.

One question: Any time I change something in the language section, it seems like it takes forever to update. Clearing all caches still doesn't show the changes I made. That has been a problem all along since working with BL2 and is a bit annoying since you can't go on, when you don't know if something is working right.

#9 2019-03-02 02:37:54

rod barbee
Website

I've noticed the same issue with languages. If I remember, you can go to a different browser and see the changes. Or close your current browser and relaunch.
You can also try logging out of backlight then logging back it.

I think Ben's addressed it before on the forum, you can try searching for that.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-03-02 02:43:50

skipper

Yeah, using several browsers did help a bit, but I guess logging out and relaunching the browser is a must.

#11 2019-03-02 06:32:03

Ben

Logging out of the admin in that browser should reset it for you.  Adding ?destroy to the site url should achieve the same effect, e.g. http://yoursite.com/?destroy .  That function will completely remove your user session (but won't destroy the universe or anything like that).

#12 2019-03-02 06:37:01

Ben

Backlight does use cookies to maintain user sessions.  The browser stores a unique session ID that is sent to the server on every request.  The server matches this to session data, which in most cases is information about the selected language, and the settings and language entries themselves.  This is mostly for performance reasons, so that the back-end doesn't have to fetch the settings and language entries from the database for every page load.  The chosen language would not work without a session and related cookie. 
This use of a cookie is fairly typical across the web and is benign.  There is no user data stored and nothing shared through other services.

#13 2019-03-04 21:56:05

skipper

@ Ben

Thanks for the Cookie information! So I guess I will have to also enable that one to make sure I am on the safe side as far as the new european privacy legislation is concerned.

Board footer