Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-27 04:59:09

bernard45
Website

Strange problem with migration from test to final site

When my test site was ok , I migrated following some advice I saw here :
Using Filezilla FTP, I downloaded the test folder to my computer : everything, BL2 and galleries.
I then uploaded the whole thing to the root of the site,
changed the LR publish service (API URL),
changed BL2 settings (site and company URLs)
and everything was looking OK : from Firefox, using the test URL is going to test, and using www   is going to the final site.
But from LR, it's a different and strange story.
In the 'www' publish service, from an album, 'goto to published album'  goes to test URL
and right click on an image, go to published photo goes to test URL.

And if I select one or several photos and publish them again, the album displayed is from www, and right cliking on these photos will show them with the www URL.
Bernard

#2 2019-02-27 05:30:14

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Strange problem with migration from test to final site

Did you try to republish an album with 'update metadata only' selected?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2019-02-27 19:38:31

bernard45
Website

If I select one photo and republish with update metadata only, 'go to publish' photo goes to the test URL.
If I select one photo and republish without update metadata only, 'go to publish' photo goes to the www URL.
If I select all photos of an album and republish without update metadata only, 'go to published' photos goes to the www URL, ok, but from the album, 'go to published album' still goes to test URL.
If I select the album and republish without update metadata only, 'go to published album' photo still goes to the test URL.
Bernard

#4 2019-02-28 02:03:02

Daniel Leu
Website

Indeed that's strange. I don't recall that I have encountered this problem when I switched API location. But at the same time, that's a long time ago.

Do you use the latest version of Lr Publisher? You can download it from backlight > admin > Backlight Modules. There is a link just above the table.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2019-02-28 03:01:03

bernard45
Website

Yes, latest version of LR publishing.
It was strange, I checked several times, several images...
Bernard

#6 2019-03-01 19:43:39

bernard45
Website

Can someone reproduce this issue ?
Thanks,
Bernard

#7 2019-03-02 06:21:34

Ben

Looking at the source code for the LR Publisher, the URLs should be updated in the following scenarios:

1) Editing an album will update the URL for the album and the photos within the album
2) Moving an album from one album set to another will update the URL for the album and the photos within the album
3) Republishing a photo with metadata-only switched off, will update the URL for the photo

Item 3) is a weak point - the URL should be updated whether it's the metadata-only setting is checked or not.

I'm not sure why the third of your four scenarios happens.

#8 2019-03-02 20:33:35

bernard45
Website

Hi Ben, thanks for this very interesting info.
It confirms what I thought and which is not documented anywhere : within the TTG publish service environment, target URL is not only defined at the publish service level, but also duplicated at the album and photo levels.
I guess that the URL at the publish service level is used by the plug-in for publishing, and the URLs at album and photo levels are used by LR for displaying.
That's fine, except that the procedure I used to migrate from test to final is not correct. Unless I missed something, that procedure is the one mentioned in this forum and related sites. An official procedure should be published in the TTG documentation ?
I will use your info to update my final LR environment, and keep you updated concerning the third scenario .
Bernard

#9 2019-03-02 22:44:50

rod barbee
Website

even though, under circumstances you’ve outlined, Lightroom takes you to the wrong photo url, do the changes you made appear on your production site when you visit directly using a browser?

In other words, does this bug in Lightroom impact the production site?

What happens if you delete an album on the test site before trying to update the corresponding album on the production site?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#10 2019-03-03 03:27:10

bernard45
Website

Hi Rod, let's take one album containing one photo, from LR 'go to publish album' or 'go to published photo' point to the wrong URL.
As I understand it, any change you do, edit the album (without modifying anything) or republished the photo is performed by the plug-in with the URL defined at the publish service level, so production, and then is shown correctly by a browser.
The 'exception' is : if one photo is republish, the photo then becomes OK, but not the album's URL.
As far as I can see now, to set everything right, one has to edit each and every album without modifying anything, and then all URLs are ok, same as defined at the publish service.
I did not try to delete an album or a photo, as I don't know what is involved, the plug-in and/or LR.
Bernard

#11 2019-03-03 04:13:16

rod barbee
Website

I was thinking of deleting one of the albums in the test site. I assume that the Publisher instance used to publish the albums to the test site is now set to publish to the production site (the API url has been changed to the production site)?
If so, you would need to delete an album on the test site from the Backlight Publisher,
Log in to the test site, go to Publisher and click on Albums for the top level gallery.
Find an album and click on its name.
Click on Delete Album.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-03-03 06:23:38

Ben

Bernard, just to confirm what Rod asked: is this issue limited to the "Go to published..." function from LR?  The important thing is that your site is fully functional on the new URL and that updates are correctly being applied to your site.

#13 2019-03-03 20:28:32

bernard45
Website

Rod, yes the publisher instance used for the test site is now set to publish to the production site, the API url has been changed.
I did what you suggested, deleted an album from the test Publisher, and it went ok : the album was deleted in test (and not in production!).
Ben, before doing an edit on the album :
'go to published' functions in LR do not work , but modify a photo and republish, delete a photo , add do work OK.
after an edit on the album :
everything I tested in LR (and checked in the browser) went ok in production : go to published album or photo, change a photo and republish, delete a photo and add a photo.
Bernard

#14 2019-03-04 01:14:01

rod barbee
Website

Just to confirm, your production site is functioning as it should? All updates you've made to albums, no matter how you implement them in Lightroom Publisher, are being seen on your production site?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2019-03-04 02:19:23

bernard45
Website

Yes the production is functioning as it should, from a browser.
From LR , I have edited all albums, except one or two on purpose to be able to do further tests that you would require smile smile
Bernard

Board footer