Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-20 01:25:13

alex

Update Outdated PHP version 5.4

Hi, I logged in to my host provider 1&1, and im getting a message that my PHP version 5.4 is outdated on my domains. That I can either extend support on that version or update it. I just wanted to check, as all the websites I have were built with Backlight or CE4, is it safe to update the pho version without affecting any of my websites functionality?

Many thanks!

Alex

#2 2019-02-20 02:08:44

rod barbee
Website

Re: Update Outdated PHP version 5.4

Depends on the php version and the site. If you've got CE4 sites running, php 7 might mess them up.
But if it does, you should be able to revert to an earlier version of php. I'm currently running 5.6 and my Backlight sites (on one CE4 test site) are running fine.

I think there have been some discussions in the CE4 forums about this. You could try searching there.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-02-20 12:16:36

alex

ok. many thanks Rob. I have one running on CE4, the rest on backlight. I guess Ill extend support for that pho version until I update that site to BL. Cheers!

rod barbee wrote:

Depends on the php version and the site. If you've got CE4 sites running, php 7 might mess them up.
But if it does, you should be able to revert to an earlier version of php. I'm currently running 5.6 and my Backlight sites (on one CE4 test site) are running fine.

I think there have been some discussions in the CE4 forums about this. You could try searching there.

#4 2019-02-20 12:20:04

Daniel Leu
Website

alex wrote:

ok. many thanks Rob. I have one running on CE4, the rest on backlight. I guess Ill extend support for that pho version until I update that site to BL. Cheers!

rod barbee wrote:

You can set the php version in the cpanel. I would select version 7 and give it a try. If there are issues, you can revert back to 5.6. Report here if something doesn't work. I think that Ben did some updates to fix some issue that came up in the past.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

Board footer