Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-07 19:52:08

skipper

Web upload messes up sort order!

My naming scheme out of LR is:

custom_name-1.jpg
custom_name-2.jpg
etc.

When I drag the images in the upload pane, they will be displayed in the ascending sort order I want them in.

Now I hit upload and it starts to upload more than one image at a time resulting in the problem, that some latter images are done first uploading and will be displayed in the order of upload completion then.

I have set the album sorting to "name", but it still does display them in the upload order. I have deleted cashes in browser an BL2 and updated files, too.

Is there a work around to this other than uploading one single photo after another? I don't want to use the LR-plugin, since I want to be completely independent of LR.

#2 2019-02-07 23:51:40

rod barbee
Website

Re: Web upload messes up sort order!

I just tested this. I set the sort order to File Name - Descending.
After upload, the images displayed as expected.
I then changed the sort order to just File Name. The sort order on the page then changed as expected.

Are you using the latest version of Backlight? Go to the Backlight Modules page in Backlight and make sure everything is up to date.
If you have to update and the album still doesn't sort like you want, then try deleting and re-uploading.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-02-08 01:34:22

skipper

Yes, I am on the latest version that just came out. I will try to work that out tomorrow.

#4 2019-02-08 23:33:16

skipper

Well, sorting doesn't seem to work for me.

I deleted all images and uploaded them again. When "lightroom order" is selected, they do display in the order they were uploaded. Still, if image 5 is faster uploading then image 4, 5 will be displayed before 4, which messes up my order.

I tried setting to "name" and "name descending" but that doesn't do anything, on the contrary, it messes up the order completely and it looks like images are displayed at a random order now.

So, I finally uploaded them one by one to get the order I wanted. That is ok for now, but certainly not a great solution for the future.

As I suggested in another post, it would be great to be able to rearrange sorting order in the backend by just dragging the pics around as it can be done in many other backend solutions.

#5 2019-02-09 06:04:10

Ben

Something's not right then.  As Rod commented, it should just work by changing the sorting criteria.  Can you create a test album that exhibits the ordering problem (if you don't still have one on your server) and provide me with a link and Backlight admin via email?

#6 2019-02-11 20:02:14

skipper

Ben wrote:

Something's not right then.  As Rod commented, it should just work by changing the sorting criteria.  Can you create a test album that exhibits the ordering problem (if you don't still have one on your server) and provide me with a link and Backlight admin via email?

Hi Ben,

sorry I am so late with this, but I had other stuff to do over the weekend;-)

I sent you an Email with a login and more info.

Thanx!

#7 2019-02-12 23:49:56

skipper

Just for anybody who is interested to know:

The sort order in the albums by "name", "descending name" works fine with sequenced images as long as you use double or triple digit numbering of the images! Lightroom (at least version 6.x that I am still using) doesn't support exporting numbering sequences with double or triple digits. So my work around was to export the images and then rename them with a renaming tool.

This numbering will NOT work correctly, when using the sorting option in an album:

image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_10.jpg
etc.

This numbering will do the trick to make it work right:

image_001.jpg
image_002.jpg
image_010.jpg
image_100.jpg
etc.

Of course, if you have more than 1000 images, you have to start with image_0001.jpg and if you have under 100, then image:_01.jpg is sufficient, too.

#8 2019-02-13 08:42:33

Ben

Further to the above, the ordering is working as-expected based on alphabetical filename ordering.  This ordering is done at the database level, so doesn't provide us with an opportunity to add smarts to it.

Board footer