Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-07 23:01:39

skipper

Inconsistent behavior on different devices

Hi,

I am getting frustrated, because my BL2 test site behaves different on different devices.

The elements, that create problems:

1a. Main Copy text underneath a Galleria Slide Show that is presented on the index.php homepage. The text does not show on some devices. The index page has it's own galleria template with that very copy text as the main copy.

1b. Homepage index.php galleria slide show does not show on all devices

2. My default album (Pangolin Album) displays large images as a slideshow. The background is the default colors, dark grey, etc., but does show up as white on some devices. Also swiping the images doesn't work.

The devices:

On my iMac 27 in Safari: Everything works as it should. My reference.

Problem 1: On the same iMac in Firefox, the copy text on the index.php page underneath the slideshow is not displayed.

Problem 2: On an iPhone 7 in Safari, the text on the index page is displayed, but the slideshow above it isn't. It is just blank white.

Problem 3: On the iPhone 7, on the regular Pangolin Albums, in slideshow mode, the background is all white instead of the "default dark grey and black" that I kept like that. Also, no arrows show, only the close and play buttons. When I hit the play button, the arrows suddenly show above the image on the right side, but there is no pause button. Also, I am not able to swipe to the next image. That can only be done by using the arrows.
On an iPhone 5s, everything is displayed correctly and works like on the iMac, tested in Safari, Chrome and Firefox, all fine!

When I get home, I will test also on an iPad Mini and MacBook Aluminum.

Until today I only had the problem, that the text on the main index page wouldn't show up in Firefox, but since I tested it on the iPhone 7 of my daughter, I ran into all the other issues. I wonder, if I have to also test it on an iPhone 8, X, XS, etc. not even thinking about all the Androids out there....

Help would be appreciated.

Last edited by skipper (2019-02-07 23:02:23)

#2 2019-02-07 23:10:42

rod barbee
Website

Re: Inconsistent behavior on different devices

Can you post a link to your site?

Are all your Backlight modules up to date?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-02-07 23:14:29

rod barbee
Website

1a. Main Copy text underneath a Galleria Slide Show that is presented on the index.php homepage. The text does not show on some devices. The index page has it's own galleria template with that very copy text as the main copy.

Neither album text nor album template text should appear on pages with inserted albums. Just the page copy og the page itself.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2019-02-07 23:24:31

skipper

rod barbee wrote:

Neither album text nor album template text should appear on pages with inserted albums. Just the page copy og the page itself.

I don't quite get, what you mean by that? The galleria album itself has a "main copy" area. That is where I inserted the text. So it is only in that very album and it does show up.

http://testsite.petervogel.com/

I am more concerned about the display problems on the iPhone 7.

#5 2019-02-07 23:31:50

rod barbee
Website

Text entered in an album will not appear on the page in which the album is inserted.

And I see no text appearing on your home page. I do see the text in the album itself though.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-02-07 23:37:28

rod barbee
Website

2. My default album (Pangolin Album) displays large images as a slideshow. The background is the default colors, dark grey, etc., but does show up as white on some devices. Also swiping the images doesn't work.

I have an iPhone6 and a 2017 iPad

The index page Galleria slide show appears on both.

The default album slide show is consistent for me between my laptop, ipad and iphone. Background is dark. Images are swipeable.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-02-07 23:41:02

skipper

Ok, that doesn't really make sense to me. Why would there be a "main copy" option in the album with the option to display it underneath or above and then you say that the text will not be shown?

It is strange though, because sometimes it is shown and other times it is not. Why would it show on the iPhone 7 and not show the slide show?

So, ok, how do I solve the problem then:

I have a galleria slide show on my index page and want some text underneath it to show?

#8 2019-02-07 23:49:21

skipper

rod barbee wrote:

I have an iPhone6 and a 2017 iPad

The index page Galleria slide show appears on both.

The default album slide show is consistent for me between my laptop, ipad and iphone. Background is dark. Images are swipeable.

Ok, thanks for testing! I guess I try to delete the cache on her iPhone 7 and see if that helps.

Last edited by skipper (2019-02-07 23:49:42)

#9 2019-02-07 23:55:30

rod barbee
Website

skipper wrote:

Ok, that doesn't really make sense to me. Why would there be a "main copy" option in the album with the option to display it underneath or above and then you say that the text will not be shown?

I have a galleria slide show on my index page and want some text underneath it to show?

The reason that there's a main copy option in the album is so that the album can have copy. But it won't appear when inserted in to a page because you may or may not want that copy on the page. Or you may be using the album in other pages and you may not want the same copy on all those pages.

To put text underneath the album on the home put text in copy area of the home page. When inserting the album, place it above the text.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-02-08 00:09:53

skipper

rod barbee wrote:
skipper wrote:

The reason that there's a main copy option in the album is so that the album can have copy. But it won't appear when inserted in to a page because you may or may not want that copy on the page. Or you may be using the album in other pages and you may not want the same copy on all those pages.

To put text underneath the album on the home put text in copy area of the home page. When inserting the album, place it above the text.

But an album always has to be inserted into a page, right? It can't reside in space;-) I just don't seem to get it, sorry.

Ok, I did insert it now in:

Designer->pages->home->design->page copy

<center class="homepage-kategorien">Fotografie in den Bereichen:<br>Architektur • Business • Events • Industrie • People • Porträt • Still Life<br>für Werbung, Public Relations und Editorial </center>

And it does not show for me. Why?

Ok, there are basically three places where I could paste the text:

1. as you stated in the "page" (doesn't seem to work)

2. in the very album - There is an option to replace the page text with that one?¿ which I did not see and use before

3. In the album template (that is where I had it and it did not always show up, but sometimes it did)

#11 2019-02-08 00:13:30

rod barbee
Website

But an album always has to be inserted into a page, right? It can't reside in space;-) I just don't seem to get it, sorry.

No, an album does not need to be inserted into another page. That's just a feature of Backlight that allows existing albums to be inserted into any stand-alone page.
An album can sit by itself. That's what the albums in your galleries page do.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-02-08 00:15:46

rod barbee
Website

your html is out of date for html5:

<center class="homepage-kategorien">Fotografie in den Bereichen:<br>Architektur • Business • Events • Industrie • People • Porträt • Still Life<br>für Werbung, Public Relations und Editorial </center>

This would be better

<p style="text-align:center;" class="homepage-kategorien">Fotografie in den Bereichen:<br>Architektur • Business • Events • Industrie • People • Porträt • Still Life<br>für Werbung, Public Relations und Editorial </p>

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2019-02-08 00:18:25

skipper

Ok, I think I am in the process of getting it;-) Thanks.

Still something is inconsistent, if the copy sits in a place that is being overridden when inserted into a page, but it does show up on some devices and on others it doesn't.

Now it sits in the copy area of the (home)page and still doesn't show.

#14 2019-02-08 00:22:43

skipper

rod barbee wrote:

your html is out of date for html5:

This would be better

<p style="text-align:center;" class="homepage-kategorien">Fotografie in den Bereichen:<br>Architektur • Business • Events • Industrie • People • Porträt • Still Life<br>für Werbung, Public Relations und Editorial </p>

Hmm, I changed it now to your code, but still not showing up.

#15 2019-02-08 00:23:16

rod barbee
Website

Ok, there are basically three places where I could paste the text:

1. as you stated in the "page" (doesn't seem to work)

2. in the very album - There is an option to replace the page text with that one?¿ which I did not see and use before

3. In the album template (that is where I had it and it did not always show up, but sometimes it did)

1. It seems to be working now

2. That option refers to copy text placed in the album template.

3. That depends on the Page Copy Placement setting in the album itself

You can enter page copy in the album template. This allows for including the same copy in any or all albums. Say you want a licensing statement in each album. Use the album template copy for something like this.

But you may not want that text in every album. That's where the Page Copy Placement setting in the album comes in. One of the options is to Replace Template Page Copy.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#16 2019-02-08 00:29:23

skipper

I deleted it from the (index)"page" and put it in the (homepage) album itself:

Page content->page copy

and selected "replace template page copy"

Now it does show up again on the iMac and iPhone 5s.

#17 2019-02-08 00:50:13

rod barbee
Website

I just looked at your Home page. There is no text.
If you want text on the home page you need to put it in the Home oage’s Page copy.

You also have a hidden album for insertion into the Home page. That’s here: http://testsite.petervogel.com/galleries/homepage/ (could this what you’re looking at?)
That album contains your text. But the text included in that album cannot appear on a page in which the album is inserted. You must add any text to the home page itself.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#18 2019-02-08 01:28:47

skipper

rod barbee wrote:

I just looked at your Home page. There is no text.
If you want text on the home page you need to put it in the Home oage’s Page copy.

You also have a hidden album for insertion into the Home page. That’s here: http://testsite.petervogel.com/galleries/homepage/ (could this what you’re looking at?)
That album contains your text. But the text included in that album cannot appear on a page in which the album is inserted. You must add any text to the home page itself.

Ok, now I got it, I was on my homepage and reloading it after changes in the backend and I didn't realize, that it was not on testsite.....com/ but on testsite..com/galleries/homepage already, that is why the copy did show up one time and another it didn't.   

Yes, the homepage album is just there for the index page slideshow and not for the galleries. I deleted the copy from this album now and put it back into the (index) page itself and now it does show up, when I load testsite...com.

Thanks!

#19 2019-02-08 01:53:29

skipper

Ok, finally I get the whole problem:

When I open the site with:

http://testsite.petervogel.com

All works fine and as it should.

Now, if I go to another menu like Kontakt or Vita and then go back to the "Home" button, then it does not load:

http://testsite.petervogel.com

but it loads:

http://testsite.petervogel.com/galleries/homepage/

and since there is no copy on that page, it does not show up. So, that only took me 4 hours to figure out and without your help I would still be fishing in the dark.

So, as usual, the problem was sitting between the screen and the chair;-)

I checked my navigation menu and the Home button was linked directly to the gallery "homepage" and not to the page "homepage"!

I changed it now and now copy does show and I can navigate around and go back and it is still there;-)

Time for a beer now....

Last edited by skipper (2019-02-08 01:54:44)

#20 2019-02-08 02:04:24

rod barbee
Website

smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer