Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-15 03:35:17

Markus FFM

Slow Backlight

Hi there,

I have Backlight installed since some time and set-up my galleries, but actually never published it, since it is so slow.

I read through some topics in this forum also discussing speed problems, but all seem to be different and some never have been solved.

However, in my galleries it takes about 10 seconds to come from one picture to the next, quite exactly always the same, no big difference in speed.

I have the same images in static galleries (the ones actually published) using the old TTG Lightroom plugin. Here it takes only a fraction of a second to browse through the images. So it should be something with PHP, Backlight or between the two.

To compare you can look at the static version https://www.entscheidend-is-aufm-platz. … index.html and the Backlight version: https://www.entscheidend-is-aufm-platz. … 017_03_16/

On my webspace PHP 5.6 is installed. Unfortunately they wrote that SQLite is not available for newer PHP versions, whyever.

I also looked on this http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … e_settings and noticed, that on my webspace the settings are by default already on the values suggested to change to. i.e. PERSIST/OFF.
I did not try to change them instead to the values that are described as default on your help page, did not want to break anything not knowing if this change could be helpful for speed problems at all.
Is it worth a try to change the settings to DELETE/FULL?

Summary:
- Should I try the DELETE/FULL settings for SQLITE?
- Any other idea?

Thanks,
Markus

Last edited by Markus FFM (2019-01-15 03:35:35)

#2 2019-01-15 04:48:01

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Slow Backlight

Looks like there is a performance issue accessing the database. I would suggest to send an email to Ben with your Backlight and FTP logins/passwords and a link to this thread so he can further analyze this.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#3 2019-01-15 15:06:29

Markus
Website

Markus FFM wrote:

Hi there,
ever, in my galleries it takes about 10 seconds to come from one picture to the next, quite exactly always the same, no big difference in speed.

Hello Markus,

I have noticed the same effect since updating to Backlight 2.0.5. I didn't notice that before.

What I noticed yesterday: Lightroom has also become incredibly slow, especially when I want to edit albums or album sets with the Publisher.
the single commands of Lightroom are always executed very time-shifted, so that I press a button twice in places, because I think that nothing has happened yet sad

It also takes an infinite amount of time for the photos to appear in the different folders in the Publisher. And it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 6 or 10 photos. So not really many photos.

Publishing new photos also takes a long time.

Many greetings
Markus

Last edited by Markus (2019-01-15 15:17:47)

#4 2019-01-15 18:57:05

Ben

Markus wrote:

I have noticed the same effect since updating to Backlight 2.0.5. I didn't notice that before.

Hi Markus, I doubt that anything in Backlight 2.0.5 would have affected performance like this.  Who are you hosting with?

Can you share a Backlight admin and provide FTP access via Email so that I can look into this?

#5 2019-01-15 19:36:43

Markus
Website

Ben wrote:

Can you share a Backlight admin and provide FTP access via Email so that I can look into this?

Hi Ben,

The email is on its way

Tanks
Markus

#6 2019-01-18 05:37:42

Ben

An update on the original post, above.  In this case it looks like Strato has performance issues with SQLite.  It takes over four seconds for just one of the database queries, which is about 50 times the time it should take.

#7 2019-02-07 05:55:57

Markus FFM

Markus wrote:
Markus FFM wrote:

Hi there,
ever, in my galleries it takes about 10 seconds to come from one picture to the next, quite exactly always the same, no big difference in speed.

Hello Markus,

What I noticed yesterday: Lightroom has also become incredibly slow, especially when I want to edit albums or album sets with the Publisher.
the single commands of Lightroom are always executed very time-shifted, so that I press a button twice in places, because I think that nothing has happened yet sad

It also takes an infinite amount of time for the photos to appear in the different folders in the Publisher. And it doesn't matter if it's 2 or 6 or 10 photos. So not really many photos.

Publishing new photos also takes a long time.

Many greetings
Markus

No, my Ligthroom has no performance problems, it's just the Backlight application/SQLite.

@Ben
If I want to test the program on a local server, does it work to copy the whole folder where I have installed Backlight to the local server? Are the SQLite data in this folder (I actually have no idea where these data are, an SQL database I could find)?
Thanks,
Markus FFM

Last edited by Markus FFM (2019-02-07 05:56:36)

#8 2019-02-07 06:22:21

Ben

Hi Markus, you should be able to just download the entire backlight directory. The SQLite files reside within subdirectories of backlight/data.

Board footer