Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-26 20:02:02

markh
Website

Publishing errors reappear with a vengeance

This problem originally was raised in this post http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=9242 and rather than add to that lengthy thread I thought perhaps I should start a new one. Using Ben's excellent help with the first publishing problem I thought I'd found a workaround to republish all my images in all my albums on all my websites using BL2 publisher, not Lightroom,  by carefully examining the metadata of each image before publishing. It worked perfectly on hundreds of images in dozens of albums. And then I got to the blog... On my blog I've several small albums of just a few images. I spent a ten hour day yesterday trying every trick I could think of and using every one of a half-dozen software applications to export images, change images, change metadata, strip metadata, resize, downsize, change file type, change file name, in a vain effort to publish images to the website using BL2. In all instances, no images would publish. In every case the error was a timeout that Ben had previously determined was mangled metadata in the images. Methods I had used to successfully publish troublesome images on other websites didn't work on the blog. Finally, in desperation I tried to use Lightroom to publish the images. That's when an even stranger thing happened. Lightroom will not publish images to the blog either. In fact, it won't update images in previously published albums that still exist on the blog. Lightroom generates the following error:
Unable to perform action: uploadRendition  Message: Unexpected error: Unexpected character in input: (ASCII=25) state=0 in rules.php on line 842
The ASCII value in the error varies, being either 24, 25, or 26. If memory serves those ascii values are symbols for things like substitute and cancel. Not sure what those are doing in previously published images.
Sorry for the long-winded post but is was a long-winded day. Any ideas on what might be going on here would be most welcome.
Regards, Mark

#2 2018-11-27 02:06:46

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Publishing errors reappear with a vengeance

To upload images to my blog, I use the Wordpress media manager. This doesn't use BL2 Publisher nor Lightroom.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-11-27 04:02:54

markh
Website

Thanks Daniel, yup, I've done that and it works fine but it won't get the images into a Backlight managed album.

#4 2018-11-27 04:16:37

rod barbee
Website

Lightroom will not publish images to the blog either. In fact, it won't update images in previously published albums that still exist on the blog.

I'm a little confused. Are you trying to publish images to a blog or a Backlight album in a WordPress-based site?
Are you able to publish to albums to a Backlight-based site?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-11-27 05:04:22

Daniel Leu
Website

It's a bit confusing....

markh wrote:

On my blog I've several small albums of just a few images.

What exactly do you mean by this statement? Do you have a link to illustrate what you mean?

There are no albums in a blog like you have on the main BL2 powered sight.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#6 2018-11-27 05:15:58

Ben

Hi Mark, fist of all please don't spend hours and hours on issues like this.  We're here to help via the forums or email.

[EDIT: please see my post below]

Wordfence has added an insane line of code in rules.php that throws and attempts to suppress an error.  I'm not sure why they're doing it, but it causes Backlight to throw errors.  To get around this:

* Visit Backlight > Backlight Modules
* Reinstall the Backlight 2 Framework Module, by clicking Reinstall next to the module-framework line.
* Copy the file backlight/env.php.skel to backlight/env.php
* If the file already has this line in it:

//define('SUPPRESS_NOTICES', true);

then uncomment it by removing the leading slashes so it looks like this:

define('SUPPRESS_NOTICES', true);

or just add the line like the second example above.

#7 2018-11-27 05:22:14

Ben

On second thoughts, this looks to be Wordfence doing it's thing, and not the insane line that I mentioned above.  The steps above may still solve it.  Another option may be to configure Wordfence to exclude scanning of requests made to /backlight/ and subdirectories.  I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that.
Can you email one of the images that is giving you issues?

#8 2018-11-27 21:59:58

markh
Website

Wow, that's a lot of feedback. Starting at the top. Rod and Daniel, these are albums in an album set created by BL2 that exist on a page in a wordpress blog. A menu selection takes you to the album set. It's cute and worked well up till now. Ben, your input looks to be exactly like what's happening. Let me experiment with your two suggested strategies. I do, in fact have Wordfence running on this site. Why it didn't occur to me that it might be playing a part in this is beyond me. I'll get back to you on how this goes. Many thanks for the input all.
Mark
PS emailing Ben an image that doesn't upload

Last edited by markh (2018-11-27 22:02:27)

#9 2018-11-27 23:16:40

markh
Website

Well, that didn't take long. Ben, you've nailed it. Wordfence is indeed the culprit. I couldn't figure out how to have Wordfence exclude Backlight so I deactivated it. Image uploads to the site via BL2 immediately worked perfectly. Should be useful information for Wordfence users to have.
Thanks as always, Mark

#10 2018-11-28 06:21:06

Ben

Wordfence provides a valuable defence, so I wouldn’t suggest leaving it switched off.
I’m looking into a way of detecting that notices and warnings are generated outside Backlight and ignoring them rather than displaying errors. Once I have that working Wordfence and publishing should play nicely together.

#11 2018-11-28 08:40:56

markh
Website

I'll look forward to that. Thanks again.
Mark

Board footer