Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-15 22:46:46

markh
Website

Problem with image uploads in BL2

I've been happily going along converting ALL of my Lightroom published albums to BL2 published albums and it's been going great...except for one troublesome issue that pops up from time to time in a very unpredictable manner. When I drag a bunch of JPEGs from Windows Explorer to the upload space in BL2, occasionally 1 to 5 images will fail to upload. Each time the error is about a "timeout" that exceeded 30 seconds. Sometimes if I try to re-publish those errant photos 1 or 2 will succeed, but mostly not. If I wait a day or two the same failure occurs. So it's probably not a server hicup. I try re-exporting the errant images from Lightroom changing the settings slightly and get the same error. So it seems to be something peculiar about the image that makes it fail to upload. There are no weird characters in the filenames and they are well below the size limit of 64GB. Stranger still is the fact that the failed images are actually in the album and can be viewed on the website. Only thing flaky about the image is that its pricing scheme didn't seem to be uploaded because adding it to the cart for purchase produces the wrong product and price. So it seems metadata is what's failing in the upload. This could be gotten round if I could find a way to update metadata in images uploaded via BL2.
Any ideas?
Mark
PS The whole idea in all of this was, of course, to get rid of Adobe products. Haven't given up on that, just need to get over or under this little bump in the road.

#2 2018-11-15 23:56:41

rod barbee
Website

Re: Problem with image uploads in BL2

The only way I can see to update metadata is to re-export the images with the updated metadata. Delete the respective images from the album and upload the revised images.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-11-16 00:31:52

markh
Website

Tried that. Even tried FTPing the images directly to the /thumbnails, /photos/, photos-for-purchase, and /master directories on the server. That doesn't work, presumably because they aren't being seen by the database during the BL2 upload process. Next on the agenda I'll try modifying the images ever so slightly..say, maybe re-crop or something, and export them again to see if that changes anything. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps there might be something stored in metadata that could be clobbering the upload. Tricky to sort out as different image processing software shows you different fields of metadata. ON1 for instance doesn't show you "category" but Capture 1 shows you "category" in 2 different places.
The more you dig the more you find there's more in the hole than you thought.
Mark

#4 2018-11-16 00:33:55

Daniel Leu
Website

Can you share an image that fails?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#5 2018-11-16 00:51:38

rod barbee
Website

Are there any non-standard characters in your pricing scheme names?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2018-11-16 05:02:49

Ben

Please email me one of the images that is failing, and also provide a Backlight admin login and details of an album you are trying to upload the image to.

#7 2018-11-16 05:19:48

markh
Website

By share an image do you mean upload it to the forum? Just letters in the pricing scheme name. Working on Ben's request.

#8 2018-11-16 05:28:06

Daniel Leu
Website

markh wrote:

By share an image do you mean upload it to the forum? Just letters in the pricing scheme name. Working on Ben's request.

Send it to Ben and he will take care of your issue.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#9 2018-11-16 05:39:41

markh
Website

All done. Go Ben!

#10 2018-11-16 06:23:37

Ben

Thanks, Mark.  I can see an error on my side - Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in XMPMetadataSource.php on line 164
Fetching the metadata from the image should only take a second or less, so something is amiss there.  I'll look into the code and see what can be done.

#11 2018-11-16 06:39:45

Ben

I've found the problem.  That image has broken metadata.  There is a tag to start the metadata (An XML opening tag for xmpmeta) but there is no tag to denote the end of the metadata.  The backend is therefore trying to scan the entire image to find the end of the metadata, timing out in the process.

Where did the image come from?  Any application that you've exported it from?  If so, I suggest exporting it again and trying that image.

#12 2018-11-16 06:47:44

markh
Website

The image was exported as a JPEG from Capture 1. Capture 1 has export "Process Recipes" that are quite versatile, allowing all manner of export variability from location, to file time, to file size to....you name it. Let me try exporting that image from something else. But it will need to be something that exports "category" in the metadata as that's where my pricing schemes are hiding.

#13 2018-11-16 07:23:06

markh
Website

Tried different ways of exporting as a JPEG from Capture 1 with and without various kinds of metadata. All failed. Tried exporting as a JPEG from Affinity Photo. This image will upload to BL2 but there is apparently missing metadata as no print ordering is possible, assuming the category metadata has been stripped. I've some other options which I will try later tonight or early AM. Keep ya posted. Most frustrating part of this is that BL2 uploads with images exported from Capture 1 work perfectly 99% of the time. I've uploaded literally hundreds of images in the last week. These failures are quite rare, but annoying.
Mark

#14 2018-11-16 09:20:10

Ben

Hi Mark, it's strange that the metadata is broken on that one image.  Can you email me another image from Capture 1 that does upload?  I'll see how the metadata structures differ.

#15 2018-11-16 10:51:48

markh
Website

Ben, it's on its way to you. Interestingly if I take the image that failed to upload, open it in Photomechanic, update the metadata fields there, and then drag the image from Photomechanic to the BL2 upload screen it uploads just fine with the correct metadata intact.

Board footer