Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-15 03:08:26

mindstorm

Wordpress widgets not working right?

I have recently (last week) moved from CE4 to Backlight2 for my blog / website.  After much tearing of hair, and help from both Matt and the people here, I have the basic blog and menus working. 

I have hit another snag though. Not sure if this should be asked here, or in some Wordpress or other site.  If there is a better place to ask this, please let me know where.

Basically, the widgets are not working properly.  I have had widgets in Pallet1 for years that included 'categories', 'history' and 'recent posts'.  Those still show up properly on the html web site, but the links all fail.

That is, if I click on any "recent post' in the listing, it will give a 404, since the link is wrong.  If I choose any 'category' I will also get a 404, since the url is wrong again.

You can see this behavior at:

www.mindstormphoto.com

I have tried deleting all widgets (nor just removing, which would keep old settings, but delete, which should remove them entirely) then adding them again.  The removal shows them gone. The adding back shows them on the site. All that looks cool and perfect.  Trouble is, all the links they show are invalid.

What have I done wrong this time...??

#2 2018-11-15 03:30:04

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Wordpress widgets not working right?

I don't think there is a problem with your widgets. Even the links to the different posts from your home page are not working.

To me, it looks like there is an issue with your .htaccess file. Did you modify it? This is the .htaccess file that came with the Wordpress installation, isn't it?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-11-15 03:54:07

mindstorm

Daniel Leu wrote:

I don't think there is a problem with your widgets. Even the links to the different posts from your home page are not working.

Ouch. One more thing that doesn't work. I had not noticed that one yet...

Daniel Leu wrote:

To me, it looks like there is an issue with your .htaccess file. Did you modify it? This is the .htaccess file that came with the Wordpress installation, isn't it?

Probably not...  When I first installed BL2, I copied over the .htaccess and index.php, but goofed and put them in the wrong directory (the root instead of the BL2 -- drag and hit-wrong-target).  I would not be surprised if the current .htaccess is thus the "wrong one"...

However... I thought the .htaccess just defined who could log on, what their passwords and privileges are.  Does it control something that would mess up these file paths too???

#4 2018-11-15 03:59:53

mindstorm

@Daniel --

There is no .htaccess in the 'docs' folder (the root for wordpress on my ISP)., though there is a .htaccess.bak .  Reading that file, I don't see anything that I think would influence url links from the blog to another url (such as the links within the blog that you pointed out do not work).

There is a .htaccess in the backlight folder, but I don't think that would influence wordpress either, and is definitely part of the new BL2 install.

#5 2018-11-15 04:00:03

Daniel Leu
Website

mindstorm wrote:
Daniel Leu wrote:

Probably not...  When I first installed BL2, I copied over the .htaccess and index.php, but goofed and put them in the wrong directory (the root instead of the BL2 -- drag and hit-wrong-target).  I would not be surprised if the current .htaccess is thus the "wrong one"...

However... I thought the .htaccess just defined who could log on, what their passwords and privileges are.  Does it control something that would mess up these file paths too???

.htaccess does many other things such as handling of paths...

For your setup, which is not the typical Backlight setup, .htaccess in your home directory needs to be the one from Wordpress and not the one from Backlight!!! Same applies to index.php.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#6 2018-11-15 04:02:26

mindstorm

@ Daniel -- YOU FIXED IT!!

Poking around, on a hunch, I changed the name of the root ".htaccess.bak" to ".htaccess" and tried the website. Those links now work!

So the problem (I think) is that there was no .htaccess file at all.  I still do not understand the content of that file or why it would have this effect, but the links are now working, and I will settle for that after these last couple weeks!

THANKS AGAIN!

#7 2018-11-15 04:10:42

Daniel Leu
Website

smile

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

Board footer