Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-07 05:04:59

Slavio

Thumbnails in Pangolin Theater pages

Firstly apologies if this post appears twice - I've already posted it but it's not showing on the forum.

I'm working with the theater template now to get a page of videos onto my test site. Problem is, the thumbnails for the albums in the album set won't show. I've done the following so need some help!

In LR I've created an album set with three albums which point to the theater template and have a youtube ID. All are showing on the page and work.
I've uploaded via FTP 250x250px images to the three folders  /<film title>/custom thumbnails and I can see these images as being available when I check in LR (edit album>cover image).

But - no luck. Everything else is working, page loads and the boxes are displayed with the album title and description but there's no thumbnail. Any ideas please? The page link is here http://newsite.adecentexposure.co.uk/videoandfilm/

#2 2018-10-07 05:17:01

gengl
Website

Re: Thumbnails in Pangolin Theater pages

Try uploading without ftp - go to Backlight => Publisher => Galleries => Albums => Your Album and click the "Add Photos" button.

This works for me quite well.

#3 2018-10-07 05:18:30

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hm. I'm not entirely sure, as I haven't looked at this particular implementation in a long time.

What I typically like to do with custom thumbnails is create a "Custom Thumbnails" album, drag my images into it and publish them as I would any other album. In settings, I hide this album from display and from search. Images in this album should then appear in the Cover Image list, and should be usable. I think this is far simpler adding thumbnails via FTP, and it keeps thumbnails consolidated in a single location that's easy to manage.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2018-10-07 19:23:58

Slavio

Thanks very much for the replies - I've tried both of these suggestions with no luck unfortunately. Gengl - If I upload without FTP via Backlight then how do I assign the thumbnails? I can't see a way to do that.

Matt, I've tried creating a "custom thumbnails" album and published the images but they're not available to assign in the cover image list (not listed).

Does the theater template actually allow the display of thumbnails? I can't get my head around why this doesn't want to work as I want it to, I just want the album set to contain a thumbnail for each video.

#5 2018-10-07 19:38:03

rod barbee
Website

Matt’s suggestion should work as long as you’re using the same Publisher instance in Lightroom.

Have you tried simply adding an image to each theater album and republishing the album?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2018-10-07 20:40:11

gengl
Website

The way I set up video album thumbnails is to go to Backlight => Publisher => Galleries => Your Album => Edit Album => Cover Image and set this to "Random".

Then Backlight => Publisher => Galleries => Album => Your Album => Add Photos and upload one photo to serve as the thumbnail. That image appears in the Album Set display.

#7 2018-10-08 03:07:05

Slavio

Thanks for the replies and for taking the time out to help me - I deleted the templates and started again, the advantage of a test site!

Thanks Gengl, I didn't realise that you could edit the cover image that way so I've certainly learned something!

Thanks Rod - adding the image to the album and then selecting it as the cover image in LR has worked this time around, so everything seems to be ok now - onwards with the design! Fantastic support on this forum smile

#8 2018-10-08 04:15:25

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Glad to hear we've landed upon a solution that works for you. Might be we need to take a look at the path-finding for custom thumbnails.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#9 2018-10-08 21:29:35

Slavio

Thanks Matt!
Next problem is that while the album set is now showing the thumbnail and the album title, I can’t get the description to show alongside it. Changing the theater template album set from “classic” to “descriptive” doesn’t work. I’ve changed to a two column layout and reduced the size of the thumbnail (originally 192px) but it doesn’t help. Any pointers on this one please?

#10 2018-10-08 21:46:50

rod barbee
Website

The page you link to above is still showing a classic layout for the album set you've inserted. Can you change that to Descriptive so we can better tell what's going on?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2018-10-08 23:14:43

Slavio

Hi Rod, thanks for looking, just changed it back to descriptive. BTW the red text isn’t a permanent feature! :-)

#12 2018-10-08 23:24:05

rod barbee
Website

I'm seeing Title and Description, but no thumbnails. Not sure why though.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2018-10-08 23:34:36

rod barbee
Website

I think I see the problem. Maybe. It's in the url to the thumbnails. it's leading to a 404 page not found
this is the ur/ to the thumbnail for the afs-christmas video: ./videos/album-set/afs-christmas-promo/thumbnails/ADE16880.jpg
and it leads to:

:http://newsite.adecentexposure.co.uk/videoandfilm/videos/album-set/afs-christmas-promo/thumbnails/ADE16880.jpg

when it should lead to:

:http://newsite.adecentexposure.co.uk/videos/album-set/afs-christmas-promo/thumbnails/ADE16880.jpg

This looks to be a bug, at least with a Descriptive album set inserted in to the page. I'm seeing the same issue on one of my test sites:
http://backlight-2-100.barbeephoto.com/Test/
Like your page, this page has both an album and a Descriptive album set inserted into the page.

Matt will need to look into it.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2018-10-09 01:18:25

Slavio

Thanks for spotting that Rod and that's really useful replicating the problem, hope Matt can take a look at it.

#15 2018-10-12 15:04:07

Ben

I've had a try at replicating this issue, with no luck.  Can you email me a Backlight admin login, and provide me with FTP access so that I can try and work out what's going wrong with the thumbnails?

#16 2018-10-13 09:57:23

Ben

Thanks to Rod for providing a working example that I could look at.  We have a fix for this that will be in the next maintenance release in coming days.

Board footer