Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-09 23:09:57

nola

Upgrade anxiety

Hi,

It took me a while to get my website running smoothly with Backlight 1 (I am not proficient with this stuff!). I want to get away from Lightroom so I have been waiting for BL 2. I have some concerns after reading about upgrading and various problems people are having.
I ONLY use BL to generate albums - the other pages were made with Muse. I finally figured out how to do just the albums with BL. Any differences once I update to BL 2? How hard is it to go back if the update doesn't go smoothly?
I made my albums with the Okapi cores. How do I convert to Pangolin? I don't want to have to redo everything because I know I will screw it up.

I have read the documentation and watched the videos, but my lack of knowledge makes me unsure about the upgrade.
Thanks for opinions/advice.

#2 2018-10-09 23:45:17

rod barbee
Website

Re: Upgrade anxiety

I ONLY use BL to generate albums - the other pages were made with Muse. I finally figured out how to do just the albums with BL. Any differences once I update to BL 2?

Yes, you can now create albums and album sets without Lightroom.

I made my albums with the Okapi cores. How do I convert to Pangolin?

You can keep your Okapi-based albums if you wish. Just be sure to install the Okapi modules from Backlight 2's module page.
But if you want the advantage of the Pangolin design, you'll need to re-create your templates. There is no "updating" from Okapi to Pangolin: you need to make new templates.

How hard is it to go back if the update doesn't go smoothly?

Make a backup of your site. If things don't go right, just put the old site back.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-10-10 01:18:00

gengl
Website

My upgrade to BL2 was smooth and easy. Follow the directions, don't try to "read something" into it, and you should be fine. Just make sure you upload everything as instructed - particularly the htaccess files.

And on the off-chance that things get messed up - Matt, Ben, Rod and Daniel are fast and efficient in providing help.

Enjoy it. I think the product is GREAT, and I've been using TTG products since CE2.

#4 2018-10-10 01:34:31

rod barbee
Website

gengl wrote:

My upgrade to BL2 was smooth and easy. Follow the directions, don't try to "read something" into it, and you should be fine. Just make sure you upload everything as instructed - particularly the htaccess files.

+1 smile

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2018-10-10 14:31:15

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Thanks, guys!

Nola, Backlight 2 is the most painless upgrade process we've ever been able to offer. Some people have had issues, but those are problems we've solved, and I think those issues are relatively few. They just get amplified here in the forum, by the nature of this being a support forum -- a place where people come specifically to get help with problems.

Also, I think the upgrade from Okapi to Pangolin is very worthwhile. Roll with Okapi in the meantime, but you should definitely try to find some time to play with the Pangolin templates as you're able.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#6 2018-10-11 08:05:05

nola

Thanks for your replies.

Board footer