Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-22 15:23:03

admint
Website

Unable to choose Pangolin-theater

For some odd reason I'm unable to choose pangolin-theater when trying to create a theater page.

I "had" theater installed but wasn't using it so I deleted it awhile back. Just now installed Pangolin and couldn't get any theater items to show.  Reading instructions about okapi, I then deleted pangolin-theater, installed an old copy (104) of theater, then installed pangolin-theater again. Now backlight theater shows, but still no pangolin.

How to fix?

FYI, I still have an okapi module installed (okapi-core) despite having the latest version of backlight pages installed (123. Release 4)

Thanks.

Edit: Yeah, I cleared the template cache.... a few times.

Last edited by admint (2018-07-22 15:24:20)

#2 2018-07-22 21:59:13

rod barbee
Website

Re: Unable to choose Pangolin-theater

There is no choice for Theater when creating pages (if that’s what you’re trying to do). Theater is a choice for album templates.

Have you first created a Pangolin page template?

When you go to create a new Album Template, under the Type drop-down you should be able to choose Pangolin-Theater

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-07-22 22:42:56

admint
Website

rod barbee wrote:

When you go to create a new Album Template, under the Type drop-down you should be able to choose Pangolin-Theater

Should be, but not. And I am following the instructions here: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … -on_basics ….

• In Backlight's menu, go Designer ⇒ Templates.

• Scroll down to the Album Templates list, and click "Create New Template".

• Name the template, and for Type choose "Pangolin Theater"; click "Add".

Problem is I get no "pangolin-theater" option, just "Backlight Theater" as stated in my first post.  And I am running the theater 125 update.

#4 2018-07-22 23:00:53

rod barbee
Website

But have you first created a Pangolin page template?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2018-07-22 23:23:32

admint
Website

I suppose not, but I'm not sure what you mean? How would I create a "Pangolin page template".  And my site was created with Backlight before "Pangolin" was released, which is why I'm guessing I still need to keep the okapi-core module???

Sorry, I'm probably confusing things.

#6 2018-07-22 23:57:43

rod barbee
Website

You create a Pangolin page template the same way you create an Okapi Page template.
Go to Templates. Under Page Templates click Create New Template. Under style, choose Pangolin Page.
(This assumes you’ve updated to Pangolin. What version of Backlight are you running?)

If your site is still using Okapi based templates then yes, you need to keep the Okapi modules.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2018-07-23 02:38:27

admint
Website

rod barbee wrote:

What version of Backlight are you running?)

I posted it in my initial post - I.2.3, release 4.

rod barbee wrote:

You create a Pangolin page template the same way you create an Okapi Page template.
Go to Templates. Under Page Templates click Create New Template. Under style, choose Pangolin Page.

Wouldn't that require me to redo the entire site again? Under Pangolin this time? I think I started with Backlight version 1.0.3, prior to Pangolin.

rod barbee wrote:

If your site is still using Okapi based templates then yes, you need to keep the Okapi modules.

Yes, I'm guess I'm still using Okapi based templates since that's where I started as stated above. Can I "convert" without recreating the wheel again so to speak?

Thanks.

#8 2018-07-23 03:00:02

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Sorry, Pangolin replaces Okapi in full. Okapi templates work together; Pangolin templates work together. There's no mixing the two. I think you will find Pangolin easy to work with, though. Steamlining the creative process, making the modules more intuitive to follow and use was a big motivation for the Pangolin updates.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#9 2018-07-23 03:07:37

rod barbee
Website

admint wrote:
rod barbee wrote:

Wouldn't that require me to redo the entire site again? Under Pangolin this time? I think I started with Backlight version 1.0.3, prior to Pangolin.

No. You can still use your Okapi-based pages and templates. Any Pangolin page templates will need a new design however. There is no mechanism for transferring settings between Okapi and Pangolin design modules.

If you want to update all pages and albums to Pangolin, then yes, you need to redesign the site. But that's not too hard, especially if you're only using one page template for your main design.
You'll need to create new Pangolin album and album set templates too. But those mainly determine functionality of an album or album set, the design is left to the page template.

Regardless, if you want to use Pangolin Theater you must first create a Pangolin page template.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2018-07-23 05:57:49

admint
Website

@ rod barbee,

That answers my question. Being the lazy type right now I'll leave the design as is, and forgo theater for now in anticipation of Backlight 2.... whenever that comes out.

@ Matthew,

Thanks. Any word on Backlight 2?

Thanks guys smile

#11 2018-07-24 05:08:24

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I expect we'll be making announcements sometime fairly soon. I can tell you, though, that Pangolin lives on in Backlight 2. Therefore, feel free to start using Pangolin now; there will be no need to redesign your templates for the new release.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#12 2018-07-24 07:34:15

admint
Website

Matthew wrote:

I expect we'll be making announcements sometime fairly soon. I can tell you, though, that Pangolin lives on in Backlight 2. Therefore, feel free to start using Pangolin now; there will be no need to redesign your templates for the new release.

I don't have a problem using Pangolin, I welcome it. But if I'm going to redo my site I might as well start from scratch with Backlight 2. 

Thanks.

#13 2018-07-24 09:24:18

rod barbee
Website

If I understand Matt correctly, Backlight 2 will still be based on Pangolin (or there will be a mechanism to transfer settings)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2018-07-25 02:31:03

admint
Website

It's nothing to do with Pangolin.

And as for theater my site is working fine without so I'm good. I was just going to give it another try but since I have to create Pangolin pages, I might as well do my site redesign. And since I'm planning a redesign I'd rather wait for Backlight 2 since it may provide more tools and options over Backlight 1. That's the point. 

Thanks.

#15 2018-09-23 21:56:42

Khakihicks

For clarification, I am having the same issue linking a page to a Pangolin template. I have created a Pangolin page, album set and album template. My exsisting Okapi templates are still there. When I go to create a new page I too only get the Okapi based templates as an option in the drop down menu.

So when you say Pangolin and Okapi Pages can’t be be mixed and matched are you saying that, e.g., my “galleries” page can’t be using a Okapi template and my “about” page be using a Pangolin template, running on the same website?

I was about to ask about Okapi Pages linked to Pangolin templates but it appears that Pages are independent and are defined by the template you link them to, correct?

Bottom line, I need to delete my Okapi templates from my system and then create Pangolin templetes and have new pages linked to the Pangolin templates?

Do i need the delete the Okapi folders from my ftp as well to ensure a clean Okapi free rebuild?

Thanks
Khaki
www.knapshotstudios.com

#16 2018-09-23 22:34:49

rod barbee
Website

Okapi and Pangolin templates can be used on the same site. You shouldn’t have to delete anything.

You are correct about pages, they depend on the page template, as do album and album set templates.

It’s hard to tell what’s going on without seeing it. Consider posting Backlight Guest Updater credentials so someone can take a look.
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8122

Also, see this about upgrading a site, there’s a bit about moving from Okapi to Pangolin
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _backlight

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2018-09-24 01:25:18

Khakihicks

Feel free to take look, lol.

Guest Update credentials:
www.knapshotstudios.com
Default guest username
Password: jerry

#18 2018-09-24 01:45:37

rod barbee
Website

I see what you mean. This is not normal. You should be able to assign a Pangolin page template to a page. You've been able to assign a Pangolin template to album and album set templates, I don't know why assigning it to a page is not working.

Another thing that doesn't appear to be working is Clearing Template Cache. After clicking the menu item for that, another page should appear with a button to clear the template cache. This isn't happening.

Have you uploaded the pangolin-page module? You might try downloading the latest version of Backlight 1+Pages and re-uploading all of the modules.

Otherwise, I think this is something Ben is going to have to look in to.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2018-10-25 22:55:57

Crizz
Website

I have the exact same issue... I have the pangolin-theater installed in the modules folder and cannot select theater when creating a new template...

I only have Pangolin Album... and cannot select theatre.

Last edited by Crizz (2018-10-25 22:57:17)

#20 2018-10-25 23:50:16

rod barbee
Website

did you unzip the Pangolin Theater download before uploading the pangolin-theater folder to backlight/modules?

have you created a Pangolin page template?

What versions of Backlight and Theater are you using?

Consider posting Guest Updater credentials so someone can take a look.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2018-11-25 21:15:19

Crizz
Website

Hi Rob,

Yes, Yes, 2.04

Ill PM you my details so you could have a look.

Board footer