Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-12 07:30:57

wrietvel

Publisher not found in Backlight2

Using Lightroom to publish as per the instruction: "The API URL will be http://yourdomain.com/backlight/publisher", however there is no publisher folder in backlight. Re-installed three times, to no avail. What am I missing?

Last edited by wrietvel (2018-09-12 07:31:34)

#2 2018-09-12 08:06:50

Ben

Re: Publisher not found in Backlight2

You're not missing anything.  The .htaccess file within Backlight maps this virtual URL correctly.  If in doubt, visit your API URL in your browser.  With the .htaccess file doing it's job, the expected response from browsing there is:

{"status":"error","message":"The page sent an action which was not available."}

(it appears as an error because that URL is designed to work with requests from the LR Publisher.  This message demonstrates that the link is working.).

#3 2018-09-12 08:25:38

wrietvel

Does not work on my system. The answer from  "http://mydomain.xxx/backlight/publisher"  is: "The requested URL /backlight/publisher/ was not found on this server." I checked all the settings including permissions. Everything is set in the right way, so this new mechanism is apparently flawed.
Backlight1 works as always without problems.

#4 2018-09-12 08:27:20

Ben

Please upload the file .htaccess from backlight/.htaccess in the installer zip file to backlight/.htaccess on your server.

#5 2018-09-12 08:36:42

Ben

If you are hosting on your own server then the expectation is that it is properly configured to allow for .htaccess files and URL rewriting.  If not already enabled, do so by making sure that AllowOverride is set to All and the mod_rewrite module is enabled.

#6 2018-09-12 08:45:18

wrietvel

As said: all is installed correctly. The installer file backlight/.htaccess file is on the server in backlight/.htaccess with max read/write permissions (777). Still same problem.

#7 2018-09-12 08:56:19

Ben

Are you hosting your own server?  If so, have you set AllowOverride to All and enabled the mod_rewrite module?  These are standard settings that you would expect to be enabled on commercial hosting services.

#8 2018-09-12 21:01:50

wrietvel

Thanks for guidance, it is solved now. But in my opinion this method adds unneeded complication. At least it should be well documented in the installation instructions. That would have saved me a long late night work.

#9 2018-09-12 21:16:25

Ben

The expectation is that you are deploying to a well-configured Apache server.  Sorry, but if you're going to run your own server then you need to know what you're doing.  That's the way of the world if you want to wear a system administrator's hat.

#10 2018-09-19 13:00:44

kanga

Hi Ben, Sadly i am in the category you refer to in the last post. I installed Ubuntu under Hyper-V just so I could run the early versions of TTG. Been using it for about 8 years and managed well with all the previous upgrades. This upgrade has stumped me have all sorts of problems and have decided on a new install rather than pursuing the upgrade route. Will take a lot longer to complete, but hey, I retired a month ago. BL 2 is clearly a lot less forgiving than previous versions.
Have been unable to get the lightroom API to work even with following the directions you provide above and elsewhere.
Any suggestions on whether if might be possible to import all my gallery folders into BL2 once I get it back to the appearance I used to have
Thanks
John

#11 2018-09-19 14:35:51

Ben

Hi John, I'm happy to help out (but please don't describe BL2 as flawed in the mean time, as above smile.
Can you describe where you're stuck or in what way it's not working?

The areas that I can think of that could be problematic:
* mod_rewrite is not enabled.  I'm pretty sure it should be by default in Ubuntu
* The website config does not have AllowOverride set to 'all', which means the .htaccess files won't get processed
* The PHP ZipArchive module isn't installed.

#12 2018-09-20 02:52:04

kanga

Hi Ben, I am sorry that the wrong message came through. I was following up on your previous comment. "Sorry, but if you're going to run your own server then you need to know what you're doing." My frustration is not with BL-2, it is with me. As someone with no training in IT I have managed to keep up with the needs to get BL and its predecessors operational. Now I take one step forward and two steps back.

Thanks for your suggestions I have confirmed that all are as they should be. However now I am getting an error message trying to connect to http://mywebsite.ca/backlight/ 

This page isn’t working
mywebsite.ca redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks again.

John

Last edited by kanga (2018-09-20 04:56:03)

#13 2018-09-20 06:41:45

Ben

Hi John, I'm not sure what's going on there.  It's important to make sure that the index.php and .htaccess files at both the top of your site under under backlight/ have been copied over from the top of the extracted installer zip and from backlight/ of the extracted installer zip, respectively.  If you're sure that 's the case and it's still not working, then can you provide me with FTP or SSH access so that I can look into it?

#14 2018-09-20 12:25:11

kanga

Thanks Ben, this did the trick including the link to Lightroom now works as it should. Also it made me confident enough that I could go back and do an upgrade rather than a fresh install.

The upgrade got me a big part of the way there. The galleries home page is fully restored but clicking on each gallery generates the following error message:

Warning: require_once(./../../backlight/framework/Framework.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/reynoldsweb.ca/public_html/galleries/1981/lib.php on line 48

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required './../../backlight/framework/Framework.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /var/www/reynoldsweb.ca/public_html/galleries/1981/lib.php on line 48

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

#15 2018-09-20 13:03:22

Ben

Hi John, to fix this click on the Update Album Files link on the main Backlight admin page.

#16 2018-09-20 13:26:00

kanga

Thanks so much Ben, in the end it came together very quickly. Really appreciate your help.
John

#17 2018-09-20 13:43:40

Ben

No worries, John.  I'm glad that it's all working.

Board footer