Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-12 09:01:39

bdfisher

Problem with Upgrade to BL2

Quick summary:

I am working on BL2 on a sub-domain of my site and have taken the following steps:

• Created a sub-domain and copied all content of main site to sub-domain. I am using a sub-domain for testing BL2.

• Deleted all content in backlight folder, except custom and data folders.

• Copied the files from the unzipped BL2 file to subdomain, including the .htaccess file.

• Installed BL2 successfully per instructions and directed to login.

• Unable to log into backlight; error message: "Incorrect username or password".

I have tried the above procedure a few times, including starting fresh with a new sub-domain.

The installation procedure seems very straight forward - I must be missing something.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Barry

#2 2018-09-12 09:29:28

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Problem with Upgrade to BL2

I am a little confused. Are you copying an existing Backlight site to a side domain, then upgrading it to Backlight 2?

If so, before attempting the Backlight 2 upgrade, are you ensuring the copied site is correctly running, and you're able to log in using your existing username and password?

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2018-09-12 13:03:47

bdfisher

Matt - yes to your question.

I had been using the login credentials described in the documentation (admin/ttg8888). When I used my own login credentials I was able to login to the BL2 site. (Suggestion - explain this in the description of upgrading to BL2.) No problem installing Galleria and Theater (very well done!), updating BL2, etc.

My current challenge is revising the phplugin file I use to place a logo and menu at the very top of the page. It would be helpful if Matt or Ben could provide a further description of what should be done and also some examples. I attempted to revise the file but encountered error messages. I resisted posting my phplugin file here.

A separate question: How should I work on the design of the site (online), so as to avoid overwriting code and "damaging" the site? I have stopped working locally, acting on advice provided by Rod/Matt. I resorted to the subdomain in order to "kick the tires". There is probably a better way that web developers use.

Thanks,

Barry

#4 2018-09-12 13:26:57

Matthew
Administrator
Website

You could set up a local development environment relatively easily using MAMP. That's how we work on Backlight locally.

The admin/ttg8888 are only when setting up a fresh site, in which the databases have not yet been created. Working with a preexisting site, you would have wiped those out already, replaced with your own login.

There are examples in the backlight/custom/phplugins/phplugins-pangolin-sample.php file. Basically, change the name and delete the parameters from the function.

So this:

function ttg_navigation( $style, $path ) {

Becomes:

function navigation() {

As before, the complete listing of available hooks is in that file.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2018-09-12 13:48:19

Daniel Leu
Website

And all your functions need to be part of a class as shown in phplugins-pangolin-sample.php:

class PHPlugins extends APHPlugins {  

// put user functions here 

}

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

Board footer